“Close to attraction, but be aware of bathroom”
Review of Galata 2 Hotel

Galata 2 Hotel
Ranked #615 of 1,246 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We didn't choose this hotel, because we booked another one, but - due to the lack of free rooms - they moved us to Galata Hostel 2. This hostel has at least two types of rooms - with bathrooms and without it. Even if you have restroom in your room you can use another one on the corridor. And... that's really good idea, because private bathrooms are very tight and a little bit dirty. Rooms are not very spacious as well. The best feature of Galata Hostel is localization - very close to Galata Tower and Bridge, Istiklal avenue too...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I really don't understand the bad reviews on this place. We staid in this hostel and in the Cheers Midtown Hostel in Istanbul. The Cheers Midtown Hostels receives better reviews but for us the Gallata2 hostel was far far better.

- This hostel is located perfectly: you can go to the old city center and to the trendy spots by foot.

- The public space is great: the reception is on the main floor:: it is very beatifull and clean. 24 h off the day someone is in the reception to help you with your questions. Next to the reception there is a kitchen, a eating place and 2 salons. These are very clean too. The best place is the rooftopterrace. It is open 24 h. You can take your own drinks there (alcohol is no problem). The view is MAGNIFICENT. You can see the Bosporus!

- The room (we had a single room without bathroom) is good. There is airco, it is clean, there is a double bed. What more do you need?

- Facilities: There was 1 toilet and 1 bathroom on our floor. The bathroom contained a shower and a sink. They where very clean and the water of the shower was easy to adjust.So again: what more do you want?

- Service: The owner does not speak English so communication was a challenge but if you use your hands :-) and if you have some patience you get a long way. My guess is that the rudeness some people write about has more to do with miscommunication then with bad will.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Never have I experienced such unprofessionalism and rudeness. On my last night I needed to leave for the airport at 3:00am. I got to sleep at 12:00am. At 12:30am, just a half hour after falling asleep the hotel manager started banging on the door as loud as he could yelling for me to get up, "Manager, open the door" over and over. This scared me half to death being woken up in this manner. Finally, I got up and answered. He said there had been a mistake, that they gave me the wrong room. I said, "What do you mean? I've been here for 4 days?" He insisted that I change rooms. Sleep deprived and disoriented from being woken up out of a dead sleep I agreed only because my bags were already packed. So I went upstairs where he tried to enter an occupied room. When he couldn't get his key to open the door he started banging on that door until some poor guy like me opened. They were speaking Turkish, but I could tell that the guy was as bewildered as I was. After a couple minutes of them going back and forth the man moved his stuff off of a bed and the manager told me to go in and sleep on that bed in the room with this guy I don't even know. I was furious. I turned around and ran down the stairs with the manager following me yelling, "Wait, wait", went back in my original room and slammed and locked the door. The idiot hotel manager continued for a minute to get me to reconsider. Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep before heading to the airport. This hotel manager should be fired first and foremost for treating paying customers like animals all in an attempt to double book the room in order to pocket the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Don G
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This hostel is in a good location but be warned! The rooms have a lot of black mould on the walls and ceilings! Could be a potential health risk. There isnt an elevator either and some rooms are on a 5th floor and the staircase is spiral. Staff friendly and breakfast is typical Turkish bread, hard boiled egg, and some salad and cheese. Beds and pillows are very comfy and clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This hostel/hotel has the potential to be so much better.

We chose it based on price and location, and the fact it had a rooftop terrace with views to the Bosphorous.

It was difficult to find, taxi driver couldn't find, but after going twice round the block, I spotted it, just off the main street.

The price was good, the location was excellent, 5-10 minutes walk (on a steep hill) from the river and the ferries across to Eminonu and beyond. Close to the Galata Bridge. It was within walking distance of the wonderful Galata Tower, a must for panoramic views of the city.

But we were very disappointed in the room. It had a double bed, but the room wasn't really big enough to accomodate that, leaving no room to even walk around the bed. The foot of the bed was inches from the wall. In order for the person sleeping on far side to get out of bed, they had to do so from nearside, disturbing their partner.

As soon as you walk in the door, the bed is just one step away. There was very little room to lay down your luggage, so you had to use the wardrobe.

Both of us were bitten by bed bugs!

We had a room with an en suite toilet. and a shower, which was totally inadequate, (no shower cabinet = wet bathroom floor) but we were able to use a shared shower facility, located in the corridor.

We never got a good night's sleep due to workmen outside in street who got started work ridiculously early

The breakfast was poor. Basically it was a cold salad consisting of tomatoes, cucumber, a very pink processed looking salami , olives, feta cheese, bread and butter.

We asked for English tea, were told " no, none". This turned out to be incorrect, as we spoke to a lovely English speaking receptionist next day who told us that yes of course we do have English Tea.

We also asked for toast, again, " no, we don't do". So, we made do with bread and butter. The bread was very nice, crusty bread.

We had booked b&b for 4 days, but after 1st day never ate brekafast there again.

There were 6 floors, no lift, and the rooftop terrace was on 7th floor, quite a trek.

The manager who greeted us on arrival was pleasant and smiling, the receptionist girl was an asset to the hotel, very helpful and informative, but the elderly man who served breakfast, spoke little English, could not communicate effectively with guests.

If, No.... When, I return to Istanbul, (as the city is beautiful and deserves a return visit), I may choose this area, but not this hotel.

Room Tip: choose a lower level room, to avoid stairs. don't pay extra for en suite toilet, as shower i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The location was superb and as we stayed in one of their delux on suite rooms it was lovely with classy decoration. Breakfast was basic but acceptable and the terrace on the roof was worth the stair climb for great views and a chilled out experience. The young and old guys helping with bags and cleaning the rooms were friendly excellent staff.

The shower was a wonderful old vintage design and worked well only they didn't put any hook for the shower head on the wall and you literally had to struggle washing while holding the shower head in one hand, a simple thing but it ruined the luxury of the en suite room for us and took up valuable time trying to shower. Washing hair was actually easier in the sink despite the lovely decoration it annoyingly didn't function, strange eh?!

Room Tip: The delux ensuite was on offer when we booked through a booking website so worked well for us but th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Staff were friendly, breakfast was good, room looked clean although I did find stains on the bed linen which was a little disconcerting. Overall our stay there was fine, it was a realistic reflection of the price we paid. The only major problem we had was with the toilet (flush didn't work). We reported this on the first day, and it was fixed however the next day it was not working again. When I flushed one time, human faeces started seeping out from under the toilet and from some kind of drain on the floor at the back of the toilet. Although the flush was fixed a couple of times, the human waste remained on the floor for the entire duration of our stay - obviously there is no cleaning routine in place at the hostel, a little worrying considering the toilet and shower we used were communal. This is an issue that urgently needs addressing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple