“excellent location, good price”
Review of Galata 2 Hotel

Galata 2 Hotel
Ranked #615 of 1,246 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Excellent location for travellers who visit Istanbul for the first time especially if you want to explore Istanbul by walk. It is at a half a way from Sultan Ahmet to Taksim. There is also excellent public transportation if you want to use it. You get very good services for the price you pay.

Room Tip: Take a standard single or doubled room with own bathroom (not shared)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Galata-2 is a great budget hotel for singles, small groups of friends, or couples. The location is phenomenal, the hotel is clean and very safe, and the staff friendly and warm.

Location:
The hotel was initially a little hard to find as not many taxi drivers knew it. Our cab dropped us off at the foot of the Galata tower and by asking around, we quickly made our way to the hotel. The location is ideal: a short (1-minute) walk to the Galata tower and surrounding restaurants; a 4-minute walk to the busy and very popular Istiklal street; and basically right at the foot of the Galata bridge on the Karakoy side. The entire surrounding area of Beyoglu is very trendy and has plenty of little cafes, pubs, and shops to fit every budget. The Galata area itself is an interesting mix of the old and the newly chic: many of the buildings are decrepit, and seem to be empty or undergoing renovation, but there is a simultaneous revival of art, culture and music in the area.

Crossing the Galata bridge (a 15-minute walk from the hotel) will take you into the historical part of Turkey. You can either walk or take a metro to get across the bridge, which is then a short walk to the Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, and Sultanamet Square.

Room and bathroom:
Although several of the rooms have dorm-style accommodation, ours was a private room with an en-suite bathroom. The room was small but very clean, and the bathroom was well-maintained, and had hot water 24x7. It was basic, with a comfortable bed, dresser and mirror, small table with two chairs, and a spacious wardrobe. There was an air-conditioner (although we didn't use it), but no TV (which we didn't miss at all). The beds have reading lamps on either side, which was a major plus! The rooms are all cleaned upon request.

Service:
The owners were extremely friendly and helpful. Nobody except one lady speaks any English, but we didn't find this to be too much of a roadblock. They helped us order taxis when needed, and were happy to point out directions.

Breakfast:
Our stay included breakfast, which was typical Turkish fare of tomatoes, cucumber, hard boiled eggs, delicious cheese, some meat, olives, bread and jams, and cereal, along with coffee and Turkish tea. Though basic, it was all fresh and delicious, and laid out from 8.30 am to 10.30 am every morning.

Other:
-The hotel has a wonderful rooftop with tables and chairs set out. It has a view of a Bosphorus, and being on the top (5th) floor like we did was very convenient because we were a short flight of stairs away from the roof. We often took our drinks up here to unwind after a day of sightseeing and walking.

-The hotel has WIFI, although the signal is weak in certain areas.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor (though a long way up!) are quiet, private, and obviously closer to the l...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aditi2988
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The location was very convenient. A few minutes walk from the Galata tower, bridge and metro station. The owner was nice and warm but not speaking much English. The room was basic but good value for money considering how much we paid. Breakfast was not bad. There were a couple of occasions where we found no hot water in shower.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed early September .The Hostel has not elevator and the reception is at the 1st floor .Rooms from 2nd till 5th floor - renovated.Roof garden with nice view ( not serving cofee).Cleaning of rooms every 3rd day.Entrance of Hostel and view of the rooms at the narrow alleyway next to Yuksel str.( there is morning light).
Neighbouring buildings have craftsmen and laboratories occasionally making metalic noises till late afternoon.After dark the area its turning a little scary as it is not populated...Also there are no selection of restaurants here just two kebap houses uphill at Yuksel.
TV signal and Wi Fi : poor!
Breakfast turkish style buffet .Friendly staff - only the Mgr and the reception lady (hardly seen) speak English.
Yuksel str is a steepy one not approached by tourist minibus and the taxi will set you down at the main street the one crossing the Galata bridge so, be prepared to carry luggages or to call for asistance somebody from the reception through your mobile..let the driver do so.
Istiklal str. is reached through good walking the steepy uphill Yuksel str.
It's better to take the tram from Galata bridge and at the end of the line take the funikular to Taksim (3+3 YTL) and then walk returning to the Hostel.Location good to reach the ships' embarking to Prince's islands and the Bosporus cruise.Also good proximity to Sultan Ahmet area.Hostel suitable for low budget tourists.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We didn't choose this hotel, because we booked another one, but - due to the lack of free rooms - they moved us to Galata Hostel 2. This hostel has at least two types of rooms - with bathrooms and without it. Even if you have restroom in your room you can use another one on the corridor. And... that's really good idea, because private bathrooms are very tight and a little bit dirty. Rooms are not very spacious as well. The best feature of Galata Hostel is localization - very close to Galata Tower and Bridge, Istiklal avenue too...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I really don't understand the bad reviews on this place. We staid in this hostel and in the Cheers Midtown Hostel in Istanbul. The Cheers Midtown Hostels receives better reviews but for us the Gallata2 hostel was far far better.

- This hostel is located perfectly: you can go to the old city center and to the trendy spots by foot.

- The public space is great: the reception is on the main floor:: it is very beatifull and clean. 24 h off the day someone is in the reception to help you with your questions. Next to the reception there is a kitchen, a eating place and 2 salons. These are very clean too. The best place is the rooftopterrace. It is open 24 h. You can take your own drinks there (alcohol is no problem). The view is MAGNIFICENT. You can see the Bosporus!

- The room (we had a single room without bathroom) is good. There is airco, it is clean, there is a double bed. What more do you need?

- Facilities: There was 1 toilet and 1 bathroom on our floor. The bathroom contained a shower and a sink. They where very clean and the water of the shower was easy to adjust.So again: what more do you want?

- Service: The owner does not speak English so communication was a challenge but if you use your hands :-) and if you have some patience you get a long way. My guess is that the rudeness some people write about has more to do with miscommunication then with bad will.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Never have I experienced such unprofessionalism and rudeness. On my last night I needed to leave for the airport at 3:00am. I got to sleep at 12:00am. At 12:30am, just a half hour after falling asleep the hotel manager started banging on the door as loud as he could yelling for me to get up, "Manager, open the door" over and over. This scared me half to death being woken up in this manner. Finally, I got up and answered. He said there had been a mistake, that they gave me the wrong room. I said, "What do you mean? I've been here for 4 days?" He insisted that I change rooms. Sleep deprived and disoriented from being woken up out of a dead sleep I agreed only because my bags were already packed. So I went upstairs where he tried to enter an occupied room. When he couldn't get his key to open the door he started banging on that door until some poor guy like me opened. They were speaking Turkish, but I could tell that the guy was as bewildered as I was. After a couple minutes of them going back and forth the man moved his stuff off of a bed and the manager told me to go in and sleep on that bed in the room with this guy I don't even know. I was furious. I turned around and ran down the stairs with the manager following me yelling, "Wait, wait", went back in my original room and slammed and locked the door. The idiot hotel manager continued for a minute to get me to reconsider. Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep before heading to the airport. This hotel manager should be fired first and foremost for treating paying customers like animals all in an attempt to double book the room in order to pocket the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo