“The worst hammam ever”

Turkish Bath Package in Istanbul at Aga Hamami
Ranked #8 of 235 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Historical Ağa Hamami ( bath ) was built in 1454 in Istanbul by most important sultan of the ottoman empire (after one year conquest of istanbul), who is the "Fatih Sultan Mehmet". Ağa hamami is oldest hamam in Istanbul. This historical ottoman hamam is serving tourists since 10 years.
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

We went with my friend to relax and scrub our body. We took the full package:
- staff was not nice and not smilling except masseur
- staff dont make you feel confortable or relax
- scrub: we have experience in other hamam in europe or middle east but this one was not scrub at all. They didnt remove our dead skins (not even scrubing our faces and feet). It was so quick so the first goal of the hamamam was not accomplished...
- the staff who scrubed our skins was not friendly, not even saying hello when they came to the room
- the product they use was not even natural soap it was normal shower gel that you can find in supermarket (cheapest one)
- foam massage: it lasts for only 3 minutes
- oil body massage: very bad quality, it is not real massage but the staff was nice but not qualified at all. We wanted the massage to finish.they hit on your back but not in professional way that it became eveb painful
- oil used is the one you can also find in supermarket
- face mask: nobody is telling where you can rinse your face or when.
- they rudely bringing you tea plenty of sugar and if you ask for tea without sugar, they said they dont have.
- head massage with mentol oil: there is no word to discribe the room. Hammam towels on the wall fixed with scotch ... and the chair you are sitting on is office chair (its not a joke)
- there were so much noise from outside (cars) but also inside the hammam (staff talking very loudly) while you are supposed to relax and enjoy the moment
- hygiene doubtful
- they dont keep the historical building in good conditions. It could be full of charm but it does not have any.

As a conclusion, do not go there. just wanted to finish and leave which is scandalous.

Date of experience: September 2018
"hammam experience"
"turkey"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Have visited Aga Hamami by friends recommendation.
In general, hamam is clean inside, but small redecorating is required.
Hamam is dry and with no steam inside, almost like a sauna. But it is enough to start body sweating and prepare your skin for peeling.
Marble table wasn’t hot, so it is not so comfortable to lay on it. Peeling was to short for me... usually they let you relax on foam few minutes, but not this time. Anyway, my skin was clean after this procedure.
I didn’t like their massage as it was just an oil rubbing into a skin. Hand movements were similar to easy strokes rather than proper massage.
Head massage was good....I could relax there.
Price of TL160 is very good.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

A visitor and me had a relaxing afternoon at the hamam, we ordered the full package with massage and face mask, it felt relaxing, not too rushed and not too long. The premises are clean and pretty, mostly tourists but then Turkish people don’t use hamams. Apple tea was served although nice, it would be nice if they offered Turkish tea also. Massage could have been a bit harder but all in all a great use of three hours to feel rejuvenated and relaxed.

2  Thank Palaceinwonderland
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

I have been a few times to turkish hammams and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. First, the facility is not clean. Staff members walk with their trainers inside the hamami.
The place is very disorganised. A big group arrived 20min later so by the time it was my turn my scrub lasted just a few minutes when it should be much longer. This is the whole point of going there. They move you from room to room without explaining anything. I then had the massage but every 3min someone came in to check if the room was free. Overall, this place was very disappointing and was a horrible experience. They take advantage of tourists’ ignorance.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

I came on weak day at 10:00, without booking (better to book I'm advance online).
Staff were welcoming, explained which packages they have. I took full package for 180 TL. They gave me rubber bands on my hand. Yellow - sauna, scrubbing; Red - body massage; Blue - mentol head massage, face massage; White - face mask.
I was alone relaxing sauna, then chilling out on hot ceramic bed with Turkish music like in Roksolana movie). Ceiling had small windows that brings day light into all hamam. I spend extra time in that room as lady for scrabing was late, I didn't mind, it was nice. Each procedure was controlled by timer and made by different ladies. Be ready to walk between 3 floors and enjoy apple tea after each service. Place is old but clean.
Note: they provide with sleepers, towels (clean after each service), hairdryer and private changing room, wifi, water.
Will come again definitely. Best hamam experience)