“Fabulous little Kebab shop near main Istanbul sites”
Review of Big Family Kebap

Big Family Kebap
Ranked #971 of 13,814 Restaurants in Istanbul
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were taken here by a shop keeper when we asked him where a good place for kebabs was. We were exhausted and just wanted take-out to bring back to our hotel balcony. What a great find this place was! It's super clean and bright, you can eat in at their little tables which are open to the street or go upstairs and sit in comfy, plush seats. To order take out, just ask if they do "packet?" (not sure the spelling, but if you say this, it works) Anyway, my husband and I ordered kebabs in wraps and they were huge and super delicious!! I had chicken and he had a Kofte one. It's a family owned place although the main guy serving was a friend. His name was Sahin (Falcon in English) and he was really great. His English is fabulous and his love for soccer matched my husbands :-) They gave us tea while we waited and then little "evil eyes" on pins for luck on the rest of our trip. Three weeks later, after driving into central Turkey, down to Antalya and around the coast, we arrived back in Istanbul only to head over to our little kebab shop. We were happy to see Sahin still there, and he recognized us, thrilled that we were back. I don't think the older fellow who grills speaks much English, but he's really friendly, as is another woman who was always there. This time we decided to sit at a table and after bringing us a complementary appi, we had kebab meals which were really great. After our month long trek this was one of our favourite spots in all of Turkey ... especially of all the more casual dining. The kebab's were definitely better than all of the higher end restaurants we went to on recommendation from TripAdvisor! Portions, flavour, everything. Our last lunch in Istanbul was spent here too. Love this place.

There are newer reviews for Big Family Kebap

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had been tired of the overpriced Turkish food in the area but as we stayed in the area sometimes it was a matter of convenience to explore the area and hope to come across a nice cafe.

Fortunately we chanced upon Big Family Cafe and ordered their Lamb liver kebab and beef kebab. The owner was nice enough to give is a mix of both for one portion as we already had something to eat earlier on. I also suspect that they gave us more side dishes (fresh parsley, onion, tomatoes etc) because there was two of us eating. The meal cost is 19TL which was not super cheap but very value for money and one of the best kebabs that we've had so far.

Will definitely return for another meal!

They also have a beautiful parrot pet that minds his own business in a corner you may not realise he's there.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

for a fast meal in the noon,this restaurant can be a good choice. the
at last they even give me a little souvenir. the service makes me feel at home. sorry for my bad english.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Having spent a couple of days in Istanbul and having dined here and there on the main street we felt a bit disappointed by the prices and the quality of food. But this cozy place was such a relief! The food is delicious, the cafe is clean, the owners are kind and friendly and the prices are reasonable. We liked it so much that we dined there every day during out stay in Istanbul. Would definately go there again. Some popular places on the main street are not half as good as this place!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This place is hidden in side street near all main atractions. It was near our hotel so on our last night we have visited this place. This place is nice and staff is helpfull. the food were one of the best i have had in Istanbul. The price for meal is OK.