Route 39
Regie Ottoman Istanbul(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$141
  • Breakfast included
Angel's Home Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$61
  • Breakfast included
Dersaadet Hotel Istanbul(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Restaurant
US$536
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Yasmak Sultan Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$148
Hotel Amira Istanbul(Istanbul)
US$840
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here with my two friends while we were studying abroad in Istanbul because we wanted to spend a few nights in the heart of the city. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I stayed here. Like the name, Route 39, and dirt cheap price tag, imply, this is a no-frills hostel. I am reading about breakfast being provided in other reviews. I was unaware that they had breakfast, but wasn’t looking for it.
The people that stayed in this hostel seemed like a calm and polite crowd. We did not come in terribly late and everyone else was already asleep. It was very quiet, which was nice.
Mostly students, single travelers and backpackers stay here.
The bathrooms were clean enough. The beds were a little stiff, but also clean enough.
The location is excellent.

Don't go in expecting a luxury hotel and you will not be disappointed. I would highly recommend this to the budget traveler or students. Probably not a great family place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed in Istanbul for 4 nights (though we'd planned on 5) at Route 39 in a private room. The rate is really affordable and it doeas include breakfast, wifi, and towels. The room itself was ok, with a decent bed and table/chair. We had a shared bathroom, which was also ok, not great.

Overall we were disapointed that in the heat of summer the hostel had no fans or a/c running. This meant that you could not come back to the hostel to unwind, cool off, relax, but rather we found ourselves avoiding having to go back solely for the heat. In order to stay cool we opened the windows, and found that the shop directly across the road was open til at least 3, and the owners and their kids were really noisy. On our first night we got very little sleep, so the next day we bought earplugs!!

Had there been some kind of fan or a/c in the room I'm sure we'd have enjoyed our stay a lot more. Unfortunately we ended our time in Istanbul early and I feel the hostel had a lot to do with this.

Staff were helpful and friendly and the location is good. You can access the tram within 5 minutes and it's about 10mins to Taksim square.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

After reading reviews about Istanbul you do not know what to expect
well.....I have found friends. route 39 is more than just a hostel
if like me you love to have life experiences. as well as visit a very interesting city. This is the place to begin the experience.
The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, genuine people around you are always ready to help
Maybe people assume that this is part of the price
but in my experience I can assure you that is not so
the hostel is simple, the services are appropriate for the price, or rather I must emphasize that breakfast is not including a service for hostel
position, excellence is 10 minutes from the (too touristy) center storicocol tram.
verament and close to everything you really want to see in a new city.
life in Istanbul is perhaps chaotic as in all large cities, but here you can find different angles so that is how to make 10 trips in1 ..... Hidden among the local streets around Istiklal experience not to miss the islands just an hour's ferry (no cars there) - and besiktas ... worth it to walk and find yourself in something that looks like a village on the sea with views of the bridge that connects East and West
I stopped several times in the hostel during my trip in Turkey and the thing that I like. is that the two young owners, are keen to the needs of each person.
and each time I found some extra service. and improvements
I look forward to go back and spend a wonderful evening on the terrace, overlooking the bosphorus, and exchange esperieze of life with international characters
see you soon guys

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We chose this hostel because it was cheap and centrally located-but once we got there, we wished we had paid the extra money for something nicer! The building was old and run down and things were always breaking while we were there-the elevator, the lights, the doors not shutting properly, etc. Our double room had a child sized table and chairs (why??) and the bed linens were dingy and completely mismatched-old cartoon sheets, bleach stained flower pillow cases, and a duvet cover that looked like it had seen better days. The hostel is located on a busy and very noisy street, and if you open the windows to keep cool (there is no fan in the room) good luck going to sleep with the constant noise outside! The walls are also super thin-you can hear almost everything in the rooms next to you. The communal bathrooms were gross and the lights went off sporadically, not to mention some mornings there was no hot water.

This hostel has some positives-the staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful, I have only good things to say about them. There is free wifi, and a bar if you're looking to mingle with other hostel guests. Breakfast was nice, as was the rooftop terrace and its view of the water. The hostel is a short walk to the streetcar that will easily and quickly take you to all the favorite tourist sites in Istanbul, and there is a grocery store right across the street from the hostel, a Dominos right outside, and some little restaurants on the same street. It's also cheap, but you get what you pay for.

This is a good hostel for travelers trying to stick to a shoestring budget and backpackers who aren't very picky. Personally, it was a little too sketchy for me, and though I had a wonderful time in Istanbul, I was glad to leave this hostel! But at least we came away with some funny stories!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeadaCailin
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I was traveling with my mum and we got a double room. The place is located in a shabby old building adiacent a Domino pizza and over a crowed road. It is divided in 6floors, all the rooms are on the road and not being the windows double glazed they are noisy. The rooms are very basic just a bed, a children table, a bin and a thin small white curtain over the window absolutely nothing else. The bathrooms (sharing and ensuite) have no windows and the fan is not working. The showers have no hangers or shelves, anything you get inside go on the floor. The common area is on the last floor, breakfast is basic not much choise and the roof top could have a better view. Internet was very slow. The only plus is a supermarket right in front the hostel's door and the proximity to the tube. Reaching taksim square on foot could be hard for elderly people as it is at the end of a 600 mt uphill with a Inclination of 50% but lots of taxis pass by so hop in one if you need to go there. Generally I did not like the place and would choose another hostel next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family