“Hidden Taste between the kebab smell”
Review of Can Oba Restaurant

Can Oba Restaurant
Ranked #238 of 13,534 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Seafood, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
“Hidden Taste between the kebab smell”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This little, unexpected, hidden taste facory is located in a very interesting area, at Sirkeci.
We have made a reservation a month ago and read all the reviews about it.
Do not expect too much from its decoration or any artistic interrior design but Can ( Chef and the ower) opens his doors to the ones who are after a good taste.
The deserts are just perfect.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Erenimo P

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Make a reservation! its a small restaurant, but really good food.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Only four tables available inside, therefore reservation is a MUST especially during winter / spring season !! We stayed 4 nights in Istanbul and ate twice in this restaurant, no regret! a lot of customers were rejected as fully booked.

It's simply the best food we had in Istanbul.

Recommended menu
Sea bass with Orange !!! really great a must try if you are into fish.
Octopus Risotto !!!

Not recommended menu
Mix Kebab Platter ! standard... don't try it here!

The owner was friendly.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rairliner
izmir
“It's a joke!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We were curious and excited about this small restaurant as there are raving reviews on here. It also appeared on a very popular tv show etc. I don't necessarily take anything on TV for real but this time wanted to give it a try.
I wish I didn't.
We went on a Sunday afternoon, as we did not have reservation and the restaurant had only 4 tables we were asked to comeback in two hours.
The restaurant decor was like a cheesy kebab take away but as long as the food is good we don't care about the decoration, so we did go for a coffee elsewhere and came back two hours later.

The owner/chef came to take our orders and explained the menu in a passionate manner but he complained about how difficult it was to find good ingredients in Turkey etc. This complaining attitude about local cuisine, ingredients, chefs and all the clerical work that he has to do continued throughout our dinner.
We started with soups there were potato soup with pastirma and fish soup. Potato soup was probably the only decent dish we had that evening, it was quite tasty but the fish soup was bland and clams still had sand.
For main course we ordered liver , octopus risotto and beef stragonof.
Liver was a thick slice vey chewy served with a runny potato purée. This probably was the worst liver dish I ever tasted.
Risotto was not risotto but rather a watery mashy rice with no taste. The rice used was definitely not risotto rice, there was No stock or wine. It was horrible.
The only reason we ordered beef stragonof was because we did not like The other options of farmed salmon and farmed seabass.
Stragonof although was nothing more than fillets with creamy mushrooms, was the only edible main course.
Desserts were a whole new level of disappointment
Apple tiramisu was soggy something, chocolate mousse was too sweet and not mousse consistency but the berry sauce made it edible.
Overall we were very disappointed. I felt like the owner had no real respect for food or real ingredients instead he was playing to gain sympathy for making all this in such a small kitchen.
While it's true that he has a small kitchen, this is no justification for the low quality ingredients and cooking skills.
Unlike Mr Can Oba I happen to think Turkey has very rich food culture and full of good authentic ingredients, if you know where to look.
So I would not recommend anyone to waste their time here.

4 Thank LeylaTabrizi
İstanbul
“One of the best in Istanbul”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Yesterday (April 20th 2014) my wife and I stopped by to Can Oba's restaurant. Before going there I called several times to make a reservation. However, I learned that the list was full till the end of June! Therefore, we just went there and asked for a place. We were lucky, there were some cancelled reservations and we could have a place.

First of all, the place is too small and looks like a simple döner house you can see every corner of Eminonu or Sirkeci. However the meals are so delicious and their appearance make you feel you are eating in an elegant restaurant. We ate fish soup, scallop, octopus risotto and sea bass. All of them were great. I also recommend you tiramisu of Can Oba. It was the sweetest and the lightest dessert I have ever eaten.

I really, really recommend yo to go there and taste these delicious food. However do not forget to make reservation 2-3 months before your visit. I did yesterday for 2 months later and I can not wait to go there again.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank merkem
“Last Dinner”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Good service and great food.
Some how the chicken curry abit salty for my taste. But overall better restaurant than some restaurant that i ate.

Not much variety of food to choose just simple delicious home cooking taste.

Place is not hard to find, down hill from Gulhane and turn left from the red river till the end of the road.