“Lovely and friendly Hotel, awesome staff”

InterContinental Istanbul
Ranked #100 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“Lovely and friendly Hotel, awesome staff”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Since I used trip advisor to make my booking, I think it is only fair to comment on my recent experience. We had a 3 night stay at the ceylan intercontinental in Nov. Lovely hotel feels very grand though a bit dated in terms of rooms. That minor point is easily overcome when you see the contemporary facilities like multi channel TV, coffee / tea maker and iron in room. Also the free wireless internet in the room is a life saver.

Word of praise for the house keeping staff who left no stone unturned in making the stay very comfortable. Since we were travelling with a 18month old, we had wierd requests at all sorts of time like ear buds at midnight :) to which they very promptly responded. The best part however are the club lounge people who are always ensuring a wonderful experience for the guests. Particular mention of the the guest relations team (especially Victoria) who sorted out our room requests prior to arrival so that we had a smooth arrival.

The other point worthy of note is the location near taksim square and close to istikal cadessi (main shopping street). Compared to the other 5* - ciragan kempinski or 4seasons bosphorous this is one of the best located 5* in beyoglu. when you enter the reception, it feels as if you have entered an ocean of calm.

Also, try the spa - very luxurious and soothing. The turkish hammam is very good (if you do not have the time or patience to try out the ayasofiya hamami in old city). had a turkish bath experience and my therapist - Suleiman was fabulous. Do try out his special massages...

Lastly, the pleasant and friendly atttitude of the staff is very refreshing and in particular for families with small children they go out of the way to help, whether with table bookings, transport options or use of club louge during happy hours.

All in all a fantastic hotel compared to various intercontientals worldwide and you will be pleased to make this as your choice for a future stay to this wonderful city. Enjoy !!

Room Tip: - The rooms on the club floor have lovely views of the bosphorous or taksim square - for any guests...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ggoel
Victoria Y, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for placing your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially Club Lounge facilities and that this experience has contributed to a memorable stay. We are very delighted to hear that our housekeeping service exceeded your expectations. We are glad that you also found the SPA facilities luxurious and soothing.
I hope that we can welcome you back in our hotel on your next trip to Istanbul as well.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woodstock, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and enjoyed it. We had a large bedroom,living room and 1 and a half baths in our suite. We also had a lovely view from our hotel room of the Sultanhamet District. We could just make out Topkapi, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque in the distance when the fog did not get in the way. Taksim Square and the pedestrian Istiklal Cadessi were within easy reach of the hotel but most of the must see's in Istanbul can only be reached by cab or tram from here if you do not want to use the hop on hop off buses found in Taksim Square. We got to learn to use the trams fast because it is the easiest way to get anywhere, vehicular traffic quite awful most times of the day.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and we could use either the main restaurant or the Club Lounge located in the hotel. I enjoyed the Club Lounge better because it was more intimate although it lacked the variety offered by the other venue. The restaurant.had abundant food and a wide selection to choose from but the staff were a bit slow in taking orders for coffee, water, etc. The Club Lounge staff is far more attentive when it comes to serving hotel guests. There was an older man who waited on us while we were there (wish I remembered his name) and he was attentive and most helpful the times we were in the lounge.

I was disappointed about the help from the concierge desk in the main lobby. When I asked about where I could find the Whirling Dervishes in Istanbul, the man I spoke to kept on pushing this "show" that was not what I was looking for. I wanted the real Dervishes, not some tourist attraction that was not the real thing. After insisting that it was not what I had in mind repeatedly, he went on the internet and told me where to go (Galata Mevlevi Museum at the end of Istiklal St.) and when to go. I. thought that was quite strange. I am sure I can not be the only person ever to have approached him with this question.

We were advised to go there at least half an hour before the ritual started only to find out when we got there that you should buy your tickets before the show, not day of, because the space is limited and seats get sold out fast. We did manage to get in but had to pay twice the admission and it was standing room only. When I went back to tell the same concierge what had happened and what he should tell people who inquired, he had an "I could care less" air about him which was not typical of what I find in hotels of this category.

i also went to the concierge to ask if there was a shuttle service that we could take to the airport. I was told it was at Taksim Square. My husband and I went looking for the airport shuttle stop beforehand since I was wary of the information provided to me previously. Good thing we did because the airport shuttle was not at Taksim Square (which is huge) but at a hotel about a block away from the Intercontinental Hotel itself!

Other than the observations mentioned above, our stay was pleasantly free of inconveniences. We had large, clean and comfortable rooms in a fabulous city so what more could we ask for?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria Y, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all let us thank you for your detailed review and to provide us with valuable customer's feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoed our breakfast at our Club Lounge. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations regarding tour suggestions. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We found the hotel comfortable and of a very good standard. Check-in was quick and easy, we stayed on the 12th floor and our room was very comfortable and spacious. We ate in the lobby lounge one evening, casual dining with good food and excellent service.
Only things I'd fault are firstly the buffet breakfast, choice was okay at best and most of the 'hot' food was lukewarm and verging on cold. I'd expect a lot better for the prices charged (we stayed on a room only rate and paid extra for breakfast). On the second morning we had breakfast at the lobby lounge/cafe and it was a lot nicer, we enjoyed pancakes with fresh fruit.
The other issue I'd have is the excessively loud music in the roof-top lounge/bar. This is a beautiful bar on the top floor with amazing views over the Bosphorus. Fantastic spot to go for a drink in the evenings and enjoy the view.........except for the music. There is loud club music banging away, more akin to a nightclub than a lounge of this quality. I enjoy music of all sorts but this is excessive, which is probably the reason there were so few people there each night. We went the first night, had one drink and left, then tried the second night and had a couple of drinks and left.....and saw another group of 4 also leaving and saying they couldn't hear each other. So please, turn down the music and let the guests enjoy the beautiful setting.
Apart from those two issues it's a fab hotel and well worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a wonderful hotel, with excellent service.Only flaw was the drain in the shower, which didn't work properly. In general, the hotel seems a bit outdated in terms of the physical standards - but maybe this is just the Interconti style. Everything was clean, housekeeping on a good level, overall staff gets our highest marks. Concierges and Front Desk exceptional.

We went to the City Lights Bar (on the 18th floor of the hotel), and we didn't understand why the tea in regular yellow Lipton packets should cost $7,5 for a cup ... I understand this is a 5-star hotel, but prices should be set somewhat reasonably. May be this is why we haven't tried breakfast (wasn't included into our room price).

Room Tip: Ask for Bosphorus view, the higher the better
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria Y, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback and comments in relation to this review.
We are delighted to hear that you were happy with our hotel and services, rest assured that your comments will be shared among our whole team and management and read with pride.
Once again, thank you for your kind observations and review recommendations. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming and serving you again at InterContinental Istanbul.

Kind regards,
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We, as a company have organized an event at the Ceylan Interconti in Istanbul. Also, my wife and I are staying over for the weekend.
The event support is not as good as was promised.
Breakfast was OK. Club Lounge has a nice view. Door keys keep breaking down. Staff are not quite aware of the place they work in. We were misinformed about opening hours of different parts of the hitel.
And, quite frankly, there is something impersonal and cold about this place.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear SigmaNomad,

First of all let us thank you for your detailed review and to provide us with valuable customer's feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoed our breakfast and you like the view of our Club Lounge. We very sad to hear that you have suffered some injury during your stay.We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Victoria
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Luxurious. Great gym and pool. Didn't try the spa. (Go to a Hamman instead.) Breakfast buffet was good. Restaurants were good. Remember liquor is very expensive-this is a Moslem country, but a very liberal and west friendly one. Good location just around the corner from Taksim Square. You'll probably notice that many of the staff are not as proficient in their English as Greece. However, all reception and concierge are fluent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria Y, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback after your recent stay with us.
We appreciate the time you have spent to share that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Once again thank you again for your comments here – it was great to have you staying with us.
Please keep us informed about your stays with us and we will keep moving from good to great hotel, which our guests love.

With best regards,
Yigo, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Had an amazing three days in Istanbul at the Intercontinental! I was given a spacious room with a great view of the Bosporus and Taksim Square, which is only a few minutes walk from the property. The staff was attentive and professional, and every request was promptly handled. I was very impressed that even though I don't hold high status with this hotel group, they went out of there way to make sure I enjoyed my stay. Mrs. Victoria Yıldırım, the Guest Relations Manager,even checked in with me during my visit and upon departure to make sure everything met my expectations. I would not hesitate to stay here again, and highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Taksim area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bosporus view, you won't be dissappointed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Victoria Y, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this review, 16 November 2013

Warm Regards,