“Beautiful views and great service, but not a restful stay”

Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus
Ranked #104 of 1,176 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We spent six nights at the Hilton Istanbul through a package we won at a charity auction. Our stay included round trip luxury airport transfers, an upgraded Executive room overlooking the Bosphorus, and additional amenities. We found the property to be in great condition and service often went above and beyond- we had fresh flowers, fruit, and local snacks in our room every day. The restaurants ranged from excellent (Al Bushra) to mediocre (Dragon). We found the spa to be just ok. Service was rushed, perfunctory, and very brusque.

The Bosphorus view from our corner room was breathtaking, but unfortunately it came with very disruptive, loud club music heard every night from about 8 pm to 2 or 3 am. We found out from management that the hotel is involved in a lawsuit with the nightclub that is just off the hotel grounds on the Bosphorus side. Unfortunately, the music was so loud in our sixth floor room that it was difficult to sleep even with earplugs and the bass reverberated through the windows and floors. We've stayed in hotels in the middle of busy cities from mid-town Manhattan to Manila, but I've never experienced noise like this. If we could do it again, we would have given up the upgraded room and view for a room on the other side of the hotel. If you choose to stay here, just be aware that the best rooms will come with some unwelcome noise.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DCtravlr
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for your kind and detailed feedback.

We appreciate your valuable comments.

We sincerely hope to have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Hilton Istanbul

Write a ReviewReviews (2,735)

Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

A 5 day stay here was very comfortable and the service attentive. Because of its age (about 60 years) the property has an elegance and expansiveness that is not found in newer hotels. The pool area is lovely and secluded despite its central location with nearby traffic and construction (note that there is a large longterm road construction project in Tachsim that perpetually snarls traffic). And of course the views of the Bosporus are priceless! I was also pleasantly surprised at the outstanding late night meal at the Bosporus cafe - fresh and tasty albeit a little hotel- overpriced. Overall a very comfortable stay in a central location that is temporarily undermined by nearby construction.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank hepadoc
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your valuable comments. It is nice to see that you were satisfied with our services.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2013

This hotel was booked for me and so I read the reviews only after I had arrived. My experience was entirely positive and quite different from some others.

First, I should say that I was on an executive floor. My room faced the sea. There is a wide balcony, the size of which tells me that this was an old hotel. The trees are matured and there is even a driveway in.

The distance from the main roads means that I had a very restful night. No honks can be heard.

The lounge to check in was stocked with food and drinks. The drinks were fine. The food can do some improvement but I was fine with the nibbles. The mixed nuts were in some kind of box that had a heater so you ate warmed nuts. What joy! Especially after a long haul and a long day.

The room was sizable and pleasant, with the aircon not blowing over the bed. The bathroom had a bidet. Toiletries were good. There were bathroom slippers.

The minibar had some complimentary tea and coffee and two bottles of water.

Breakfast was fine although I was surprised that there was not much of a change. As this is a convention hotel, it means that guests would stay two or three days at a stretch so a variety would be good.

Unlike the others, I found all staff helpful. I lost an adapter along the way and the staff at the business centre loaned me one without too much hassle. The front desk was helpful in changing money as well.

The possible downside is that being a convention hotel, it can be noisy when the crowd meets and I can understand a wait at check-in.

The upside is that everything works. There are no surprises. And for a working trip, that's fine by me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind and detailed feedback.

It is a pleasure to see that you were satisfied with our services. We appreciate your valuable comments.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The place does show its age as you walk into the lobby. The rooms are good, not great. But the food prices are reasonable and the views are great. The food is good quality and a notch above standard bland hilton fare. The duty manager (Charles I think) was very helpful when we needed to change rooms due to a rock concert nearby. No fuss and very professional. Overall I think this place is value for money ( for Istanbul) and the my experience with management makes this 5 stars. Would recommend.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CCSA

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our services in general.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Hilton is a reliable brand but it is not rare that we are dissapointed by some Hiltons but Istanbul Hilton is a very nice hotel in an elegant neighourhood in Istanbul.

It is the first 5 star hotel in Istanbul. Thats why the hotel is tired and it needs a big restoration.

But we totally enjoyed our stay. It was comfortable, clean. The staff is very well trained and kind.

It has a lovely outdoor pool area so it is great in summer.

The rooms are spacious , clean and very comfortable.

We had great breakfast too.

It is 10 mins walk from Taksim square.

Room Tip: It is little more expensive but the river side ( sea side)rooms are highly recommended.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We appreciate your kind comments. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in general.

Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

Enormous and imposing old hotel, long established and beautifully situated on the Bosphorus. The terraces (we had dinner outside, overlooking the twinkling nights over the water) are a huge plus, if you enjoy that sort of thing (which I do!). Dinner was tasty and we enjoyed it (service is swift and we were still eating as they took our plates away ;-).

The carpets in the room are a bit old, as is the furniture, although the bed was comfy. My overall feeling is that they have made some effort to update but only half-heartedly, so it feels like it doesn't quite get there.

There really isn't anything wrong with this place, I guess it just didn't inspire me, hence the average rating.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank GreekAussieChick
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Your valuable comments are highly appreciated and they will be taken into consideration seriously.

We sincerely hope to have a chance to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

the receptionists were rude, unfriendly. I stayed four nights. Every five star hotel would welcome it's guests with a fruit basket, except this one!. I had to go out and buy some fruit from the shops.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Sami Salman A

Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your comments. I would like to inform you that your feedback regarding the attitude of our team members at the Front Desk have been shared with respective department head; and after an investigation necessary measures will be taken.

We sincerely hope to have a chance to welcome you back again.