“Not impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

I booked this hotel through booking.com an executive room(with breakfast) with bosphorus view. At the reception I was told that a standard room was booked for me with a garden view. I showed the guy my booking. He said I can get you a standard room with bosphorus view that's the best i could do in his words he said " I'm doing you a favour" and should get in touch with booking.com. I said to him if booking.com was not a reliable company then they should not let them sell their rooms. (Before coming to Istanbul I did check on Hilton website the price for Executive room was the same as booking.com.) I told him i was not taking that and wanted to speak to the manager. He came back after five minutes and told me manager was busy and should get in touch with booking.com. after half an hour of argument they agreed to give me an executive room.

The room was nothing special. In the bathroom the basin was not draining water properly. The airconditioning was timed all night long it was switched off.The only thing good about the room was the view. There was a night club close to the hotel after 11pm they were playing loud music till early hours.

The breakfast was nothing special as well the bread was hard and not a very good selection to offer.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank spanital
SaschaKoehler, Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 8 May 2010
We are truly sorry to note the inconvenience you have experienced regarding your room type. Through your feedback we have found out that there is a system error between us and the agency, which we shall have repaired shortly. We also apologize for a Manager not being available at the time and the attitude of our team member who we generally strive to encourage taking initiative to resolve an issue. We regret to note the problems in your room which are being investigated in detail by our Technical Service team. Regarding the noise coming from a neighbouring night club, we would like to inform you that we are in contact with related parties to address this concern. Your comments about the bread quality and variety have also been shared with related department heads. We will surely be very happy to welcome you back, assuring our best service and attention. Please contact me directly at sascha.koehler@hilton.com for your future reservations.

Hilton Istanbul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

If you're missing the typical big compound Hiltons you find in New York or LA, this is your place. Just beware that if you want to do anything other than be in your room, it'll cost ya big time. Breakfast is Eur 27/person, a Coke is TL 11, Internet is $30/day(!!), and the weak dinner buffet was about $50. Also beware that Bosporus-view rooms also have a view of a clubbing district that was extremely loud during my visit. The front desk explained that a "famous DJ" was in town and there was nothing the hotel could do about it because they had a permit until 2am.

Ultimately I was kinda missing the big compound Hiltons, and the rates here are pretty good, which is why I still recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SaschaKoehler, Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced because of the event in the neighbouring district.
We would also like to let you know that we are keeping our price levels aligned with other European hotels and similar facilities in town, keeping in mind the increased costs of 5* service and ingredients, as well as utility costs..

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

On a recent visit to Turkey, I had the pleasure of staying in both the Hilton Istanbul and the 4 Seasons. I enjoyed my stay here at the Hilton far better. Here are the reasons why:
1. Location! While the 4 Seasons is located in the heart of the Old City, this Hilton is located in a more genuine section of Istanbul, walking distance to Taksim Square and Istikial, a great pedestrian shopping and eating area. We liked this area a lot better than the Old City. Nobody chased after us while in Taksim Square and there are so many great authentic restaurants and coffee shops to choose from.
2. Executive Lounge! With a view to die for - of the Bosphorous and very generous perks, such as an ample breakfast, snacks all day long and beer and local Turkish wine (and possibly even more alcoholic beverages..I don't recall) in the evening with tasty canapes. The lounge was large, comfortable and relaxing and the staff went above and beyond to meet my needs. I'm an iced tea drinker and after explaining how I like it only once, they served me my tea each morning to perfection! The only thing I did not like about the lounge was my inability to use wireless internet on my own laptop (for Skypes). In order to do so, you must purchase internet from the room. That seemed to contrast the other lounge perks.
3. Service: They were every bit as accommodating and welcoming as the staff at the 4 Seasons. I would rate them both top notch.
4. Room rate: I paid half the cost for staying here than I did at the 4 Seasons. Granted, my room at the Hilton was a bit outdated compared to the fantastic room at the 4 Seasons but it was fine.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SaschaKoehler, Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
We are delighted to receive your nice comments. Thank you for taking time to share them on TA. We will be very happy to have you as our guest again soon.

Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

The hotel was fine, just as one would expect in a five star hilton hotel.

The reason for rating it average was the extreme annoyance of their staff at the reception. We had booked two rooms for five days, and yes, we got a very good rate of 135 euros per night including breakfast. We booked the rooms on the Hilton web pages, and at the time of the booking a room without breakfast was 110, with breakfast 135. According to their staff we had absolutely NOT paid for breakfast... We had to go trough a very annoying argue to get what we had paid for (250 euros for breakfast for the whole stay). This was completely unnecessary, and making us feel like we were trying to fool them in to giving us free breakfast was extremely uncomfortable. Treating your guests as liars is never a good idea.

So my advice: Do no use the booking system on the Hilton web page, you could end up not getting what you paid for (or have to go trough two rounds of arguing before getting it...)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
We are very sorry to note the inconvenience you have experienced upon check-in. We assume this issue arose due a human error or a rare technical glitch of our system. We regret not being able to provide more explanation since we do not have your information to view the reservation. Please be so kind to pass on the info to my e-mail address sascha.koehler@hilton.com for us to investigate. We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Just come back from 5 days in Istanbul. We wanted to have a relaxing break as well exploring Istanbul and after thumbing through Istanbul's limited 5 star selection settled on the Hilton (4 seasons and Kempinski bit out of our price range!) What a great choice! On arrival it was clear this wasn't an average Hilton- there is a long sweeping approach, and the huge 1950's building is surrounded by well kept gardens, pool and tennis courts etc. We checked in and on request were upgraded to a Bosphorous view (we would have selected this on booking but expedia didn't allow us to). Our room, on the 7th non smoking exec floor was great. Like the rest of the hotel it was immaculately clean. Beds firm but very comfortable and there was a menu of mattress and pillows if you wanted to switch. Really spacious well decorated and fresh room. Marble bathroom hadn't been refurbished in a while but was well designed, luxurious, very clean and useable. Happily enjoyed several bubble baths. Missed having a monsoon shower head that many boutique hotels now fit. It was great having the balcony to enjoy the fantastic view. Good flatscreen TV, pleasant quality furniture. The only minor quibble I had with the room was that you could sometimes hear neighbours' doors closing. I don't think this had anything to do with lack of sound proofing rather the doors seemed to close with quite a thud. But certainly didn't keep me awake at any point. As another reviewer pointed out on Saturday nights there is a loud disco from about 200m away that is audible until the early hours. Again, didn't keep me awake, and I suspect that overall this hotel is one of the quietest in central Istanbul with its huge gardens. Exec lounge was pretty good- free alcoholic drinks/ soft drinks all day... breakfast was of a decent standard, afternoon tea and dinner snacks available too. Red wine served in Lounge surprisingly good. Lounge lacked a bit of atmosphere and the snacks were good but not brilliant but I'm being churlish here given the sub 200 euro a night rates. Breakfast in the main restaurant (which you can choose instead of breakfast in lounge) was fantastic- more choice and excellent food. The staff in the lounge were all friendly and helpful but we found the main concierge in the lobby to be a bit hit and miss. We relied on exec lounge staff to book us a couple of restaurants for us and answered queries on ferries etc. Free internet access in exec lounge- just ask for a pass. The Hilton's bars and restaurants and room service are pretty pricey so appreciated the complimentary drinks and snacks in the lounge, and from my perspective the exec rate represented good value. My friend mentioned it was my birthday and I was surprised with a cake and some lovely sparking turkish wine. Fresh fruit each day. Good health club too. So all round a great hotel. Finally the other thing worth mentioning is the hotel's history. It is Turkey's first 5 star hotel and was built in 1955, and clearly had much care and attention lavished on its design. The swimming pool shape is apparently a replica of Conrad Hilton's foot! There is a beautiful if not quite authentic Japanese garden, and many fantastic design details- especially the mosaics above the car port entrance. Its great that the hotel is being kept in such good condition and regularly refurbished- some other reviewers said that some rooms were not recently refurbished and had worn carpets etc- certainly not the case on the exec floors or communal areas. I didn't see any of the standard rooms but their corridors were identical to the exec floors. Overall really great hotel, will definetely stay here again next time I visit Istanbul.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
SaschaKoehler, Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 26 March 2010
We thank you for your nice and detailed review. It is great to learn of your satisfaction with our services and rooms. Just wanted to let everyone know that we are in the process of changing carpets in all bedrooms! As you have stated, we are continuously working on maintenance projects for the comfort of our guests. Looking forward to welcoming you back...

Mableton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

This hotel was great. As a Dimond with Hilton we had access to the Executive lounge. It was the BEST Exec lounge I have ever visited. Outstanding service, outstanding food, I had a great meeting with a prospective contractor. Just a great hotel.

They have several resturants and all were very good. Also the hotel was great at seting up reservations for us.
Many thanks to them for a great stay.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
SaschaKoehler, Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank you very much for your kind feedback and nice comments. We are very happy to learn that we have been a part of a successful meeting and hopefully a good business for you! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back on many other occasions. Sincerely, Sascha Koehler
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a long weekend getaway. The hotel was near to Taksim Sq., where I got off the airport bus and walked to the hotel. It was not a long walk, but it was not signposted from the square, so it did take me some efforts to sort out the direction. I'd love to see a signpost in Taksim Sq or airport bus stop giving the direction.

The hotel was located in a nice campus and its exterior was decent. The hotel lobby was huge, stylish and nicely furnished to take advantage of its uphill location over the Bosporus.

I stayed at a 'guest' room as usual. It's spacious though not as huge as Hilton Auckland or Hilton Athens where I stayed before. Room decoration was a bit out-dated but well-maintained. A CRT TV was also installed instead of a LCD TV, but that didn't bother me too much as I didn't travel to Istanbul to watch TV. There was a large balcony attached to my room and view was nice. I'd bet one will get better view if staying in rooms on the other side.

I ordered room services and ate at the hotel's restaurants and there were plenty of choices. Quality of food was good and I had the most delicious chicken soup ever in my life! Contrary to some previous reviews posted from other travelers, I didn't find prices too expensive at the hotel apart from the buffet breakfast.

There were also a fitness centre steam rooms and a hammam which I enjoyed very much.

Check-in and check-out were smooth. There was a follow-up call after my check-in to check if everything was settled. It was a good arrangement and they did follow up with my little request. Staff members in receptions, restaurants, in-room dining, housekeeping and the fitness centre were nice and explained things clearly.

I seldom gave 5 stars on my reviews here but this time I give this ranking as my whole experience of this stay was pretty satisfied. I'd consider staying at this hotel again on my next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank KeepDiscovering
SaschaKoehler, Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
We appreciate your kind feedback and valuable comments. It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Sincerely,