“Okay, but not Great”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #15 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 22 June 2011

For the price, we were generally underwhelmed by the Four Seasons Sultanahmet. Its greatest advantage is its location in the heart of the primary historical sites of the Sultanahmet area of Istanbul. The hotel has a nice and efficient staff but with little of the warmth or friendliness that we saw in so many of the Turkish people that we met elsewhere. The rooftop terrace has beautiful views of the Bosphorus and the Hagia Sofia and serves drinks and very nice light meals. The buffet breakfast was quite marginal and very expensive. Considering the room price, we were surprised that the hotel charges a daily fee for a wireless connection, which seems like a nickel and dime approach. The room was nice but small. We have stayed at a number of Four Seasons around the world that we have liked very much, but there are better places to stay in Istanbul and we probably would not return. The main advantage is its location which can’t be beat. It was fine, but not outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank DiscerningTraveler99
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear DiscerningTraveler99,

My name is Felix Murillo, I am now the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

I was going through past comments and yours brought my attention. I know it was some time ago but still is very valid and I wanted to thank you for it.

A few things have been upgraded since your stay and some that are relevant to your comments. Sİnce the begining of last year we do not charge for regular internet access, which you were very right it was very much needed. We provide secure lines, very different what other places offer but still to provide the regular internet access free has been so appreciated. Actually expected.

We have also since your stay renovate the terrace which is called now A´ya. I hope one day would come and see it during the warmer months, it is very nice. We have also worked on our breakfast offerings and the food concept.

Please DiscerningTraveler99 if one day I may be of any assistance within Istanbul or within Four Seasons please please let me know. I would love to help. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours cordially,

Felix

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We spent three days at this hotel before heading out on a Greek island cruise. The location cannot be beat. The Blue Mosque, The Palace Cistern, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace all within 5-10 minutes walk from hotel. Four seasons quality from greeting to departure. Rooms spacious and clean. Very pleasant rooftop terrace with amazing views of Hajia Sofia and Blue Mosque. Had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant which is located in an inner courtyard with lovely tropical plants. Cannot hear city noises at all in courtyard. Public rooms bright and tastefully decorated and never felt overcrowded.

One day, I foolishly left our safe open all day while we went on a walking tour. There was cash, jewelry and other valuables there for the taking. When we returned, nothing had been touched. Perhaps we just got lucky but the room had been serviced in our absence.

A small gripe for the sake of balance. The concierges, although very friendly and helpful, had the slightly annoying tendency of recommending very expensive, glitzy and not necessarily authentic dining venues. One sees this at most high end hotels as this is what mauch of thier clientel probably expects. While on the subject of restaurants, please go to Restaurant Aloran. Take a left upon exiting the Four Seasons and take another left at the next corner. It's about 50 yards along the street an a corner on the right hand side. It is my intention to review Aloran soon but suffice it to say, I highly recommend it. The concierge had never heard of it!

A great travel memory for me will be waking to the call to prayer as I gaze at Hajia Sofia through the morning mist. As you might expect, this place is not inexpensive but, in mu view. very much worth the cost.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMBPittsburgh
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The Four Seasons looked in Sultanahmat is in a great location & easy walk to a lot of attractions & 5 minutes to the tram which is easy to navigate. Altho expensive, the quiet elegance is worth the price. The room was large, small suite, with excellant bed & bedding. Everyone in hotel greeted you where ever you were & many surprised me by knowing our name. The rooms were very quiet. Bathroom was large with a waterfall showerhead from 8 feet high. Breakfast buffet was like most Four Seasons. Dinner in a courtyard enclosed glass room was delicious.

1  Thank edward02494
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Both my wife and I were treated like royalty!!! The staff was very helpful and kind - always smiling!! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel!!

Reviewed 20 May 2011

Our trip to Istanbul was a surprise birthday treat for my husband having always had the city on his 'wish' list. Emails confirming arrangements between myself and the hotel were both answered promptly and curtiously which paved the way for a most fabulous 2 night stay. We were given room 305 which had been the prison wardens apartment, now it is a sumptious suite with a ground floor sitting, dining and desk area. The stairs led us up to our mezzanine bedroom with the largest bathroom we have every seen, even the shower doubled up as a steam cubicle.....

As hard as it was to leave the room, we ventured out and very quickly realised that the hotel is in a perfect location for all the main sights. Yes, you are asked continuously if you would like to visit a carpet shop but a firm polite smiley "no thank you" worked fine. On our return the hotel had placed in our room an amazing birthday cake for my husband. We decided to eat in one of the local fish restaurants and were recommended one by concierge, about 5 mins walk away. This turned out to be packed inside and outside (popular choice) so the reservation made on our behalf was a very good idea! Food and ambience top notch. Before arriving we had booked through the hotel a days guide. We asked for recommended Seda, who was interesting, well read and had a delightful personality. Visiting major sights, the bazaar and spice market made for a perfect day under Seda's expert guidance. We have stayed at some top hotels but the breakfast in the courtyard was one of the best we had experienced. Reluctantly, we left after two nights with a complimentary transfer to the FS on the Bosphorus. The hotel with its location, beautiful rooms and some of the nicest staff we have ever encounted at a hotel made for a most perfect birthday stay.

2  Thank hotelsetc
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed at the hotel for two nights post-cruise and were very happy with our choice. Top notch Four Seasons quality in a distinctive renovated building (was once a prison!). Our room was very spacious and quiet as it looked out on the inner courtyard. Location is outstanding -- literally a stone's throw away from the main attractions in old Istanbul (Blue Mosque, Haggia Sophia, Topkapki Palace). In nice weather the roof-top seating area has a great view. Restaurant is in the courtyard so no view but excellent food. Fitness room was adequate but in the basement so not great (didn't try the spa). All VERY pricey of course -- but a great choice if your budget allows.

Room Tip: Inside room was very quiet.