“One word - awesome!”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #16 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The service at this hotel is the best I have seen in the world and I travel frequently as a travel industry professional. Attention to the smallest detail is outstanding. Location is terrific for leisure exploration of main city sites and shopping. Restaurant service and food preparation & presentation, excellent!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Coralie B,

Thank you!

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Htoel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. It is now a few months since you last visited us back in July, but still when I came across your comment in Trip Advisor, I had to send you a note to thank you for taking the time to write about us.

Coralie B. I hope that you one day return to Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours respectfully,

Felix

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet

Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel is perfectly located - right next to Hagia Sofia, therefore within walking distance to the major sights in the old town including the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazar and the spice market. We originally wanted to stay in Kempinski on the Bosphorus but as it turned out, this was actually the better location for our purposes. On top of that, the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially the gentlemen at the concierge desk. The Garden Restaurant has a superb ambiance with beautiful roses and other flowers surrounding the dining tables (outdoor part of the restaurant), and it serves variety of good food. As some of the reviewers have pointed out, this is a rather small hotel however, and it actually is a plus - gives an intimate and cozy feel. The only not so positive a note is the terrace bar. It has a beautiful night view of the neighboring sites however it has no atmosphere, and the staff was not that helpful. We would have loved to have a drink after dinner up there every evening, but we stopped going there after the first evening.

Room Tip: We booked late so didn't have much choice left. but where we stayed which is a deluxe room was...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmrushaGaruda
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Four Seasons Sultanahmet is a fine hotel and is ideally located for Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. The service is good and in my view enhanced by the values of the individuals providing the service. We had a couple of small issues all of which were addressed quickly.
None of the above is a surprise it’s a five star hotel and offered at a five star price.

Once concern I would like to share with those contemplating staying is the fact that the room rate is advertized in Euros, the rate accepted at check in is Euros and some, although not all, prices within the hotel are in Euros but one actually pays in Tirkish Lira. I was not aware that payment would be in Turkish Lira but I had a concern that the hotel wouldn’t be able to process Euro payments so I checked exchange rates before checking out. I guess I should not have been surprised that the exchange rate the hotel attempted to charge was most advantageous to the hotel. The problem was eventually corrected but if felt it shabby to take an extra slice from guests when they likely aren’t in their best position to notice or have access to up-to-date currency rates. I can anticipate that the hotel may take the position that it has to protect itself from the ups and downs of currency fluctuations but I would respectfully suggest they simply conduct their business in the currency in which they are located and indeed the currency one will actually be asked to pay in and not place the burden on the guest to run the currency risk without knowing it. I observed that there was a preponderance of American guests so Euro pricing is entirely irrelevant.
Finally, as with many hotels there are the same ‘green’ pleas to help save the planet by saving laundry but I am starting to think that hotels need to demonstrate that savings in laundry is part of a larger meaningful and honest effort to reduce carbon emissions. For example if the hotel is using solar water heating, on demand water heating, LED lighting and wants to save on laundry too then I am all for it but if it does nothing other than ask the guest to save laundry costs then the ‘green’ pleas aren't credible.
In the case of this hotel a proper irrigation for their fine gardens would save a lot of water versus leaving water hoses all over the place every morning.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
14  Thank nickdodger
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here during the end of may into June. Having read reviews on this hotel I decided to stay here. Well the location could not be better! You can walk to all the top sights with ease, the surrounding neighborhood is one of istanbuls finest. So many small stores close buy which are lovely. Waking up to the morning ezan from sultan Ahmed mosque was beautiful. The staff were fantastic and breakfast was great. The hotels restaurant was also very nice. Do yourself a favour and stray in this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife and I stay only in five star hotels, and this four seasons was without a doubt ,one of the best hotels in which we have stayed regarding accommodations,location and service. The hotel is in the old city ,and only a short walk to Topkapi Palace,Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. It is only a short tram ride to the Grand bazaar. The restaurant was excellent,absolutely no complaints,would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louis S
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is truly one of the world's best hotels and costs as such. Fantastically located next door to Blue Mosque and Agia Sofia, it's perfect for a short stay in Istanbul. Impeccable service staff takes the hotel over the top and makes you forgive minor hiccups.

Two suggestions: get stronger, more modern A/C systems for rooms (ours didn't go below 22c) and install a pool in the rooftop or gardens. A hotel this beautiful and this well run , deserves them.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This hotel could not have a better location for seeing the historic sites of Istanbul. It is an easy walk to the Hagia, Blue Mosque, Cistern, Palace, Bazaar and the walks through the old city are perfect. We were so happy to be able to sight see then come back cool off, relax then head out again without having to travel very far. The service is as you would suspect at a five star property. The room was bright and comfortable. In contrast to others who have commented I like hearing the call to prayer it made me realize the importance of religion to the culture of the city. The grounds are lovely as another poster mentioned. I also have to agree with one of the posters that mentioned a pool would be a lovely addition. The afternoons are warm and it would be nice to cool off and relax. I was very busy sight seeing so did not miss it that much but if I were travelling with children I may have missed it more. The rooftop bar provides you with views that are not to be missed.

Breakfast was very nice, we are American and like our eggs and bacon much more well done than everyone else. The eggs are scrambled soft and the bacon soft, I mentioned to the attendent our preference for dry eggs and crispy bacon and within minutes two plates arrived at our table. We had lunch one day at the hotel and it was very good as well.

The ride to the hotel in our cab was an experience all its own. The streets are of course very old and narrow yet are filled with busses and vans the take the hairpin turns and then face off on a small street until one backs up and lets the other thru. It was like nothing I have even seen!

You will not be disappointed if you are lucky enough to stay at this property, the location, the facility and most of all the people working at the hotel are top notch.

Room Tip: I liked the upper floors