“My friend got a nasty food poisoning from the restaurant”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #17 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“My friend got a nasty food poisoning from the restaurant”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

My husband and I have enjoyed plenty of Four Seasons hotels around the world so when I was in Istanbul for a business trip in early November I made the effort to take my friend to FS Sultanahmet for lunch. We didn't have time to eat anything at all the whole day. We had only Turkish tea and bottled water so we were very hungry by the time we ordered our food which was around at 4 pm. I couldn't finish my pide which was very salty, tasted her caeser salad but didn't like the cream sauce so I left the meal half hungry. My friend's hunger got better of her so she finished all her pizza and salad. After the meal we went back to our meetings.
A couple of hours later my friend complained that the food was too heavy and she could not digest it. Around 8.30-9 pm she started feeling not well. We hurried back to the hotel. By 10 pm she was seriously sick in the toilet throwing up and having diarrhea. Because I had experienced food poisoning before, I knew that she needed to remain hydrated and wait until the poison left her system. Going to a hospital while she could not really leave the toilet didn't feel logical. Her situation improved by the next morning and she managed to retain some water. The fact that we both did not eat anything at all that day, and 4 hours after consuming the salad creme she got sick confirmed my suspicions that she had typical dairy food poisoning. We ended up missing our early flight to Izmir and delayed our meetings.
The next day we called the hotel to complain. All the staff including the hotel manager was very unhelpful. At first he claimed that it might be our own personal hygene. The hotel's doctor wanted us to go to a hospital and get some tests done which we did not have the time or the energy to do at all. The kitchen manager who was very arrogant insisted that since their kitchen is checked and certified it cannot be their fault. I felt like we were being told off by every one we spoke to. We managed to get a half hearted apology and reimburstmant of the meal; however they refused to compensate us for our plane tickets that we had to buy for the 2nd time because of this unpleasant incident. The kitchen manager gave me her email adress to follow up and seemed happy to have ended the conversation when we could no longer talk to her because we needed to make our way to the airport.
We could not follow up this incident after coming back to our countries. My friend had to deal with her sick parents and I got busy with my own life. However I am very surprised and disappointed about feeling so let down by such a reputable hotel chain.
This incident stained otherwise a very pleasant trip for us. Worst of all I felt really ashamed and responsible for this experience my friend had to go through on her very first trip to Turkey. Being Turkish myself I wanted to show her our traditional hospitality at its best but it was a wrong choice. I would never step a foot in any of the FS's in Turkey ever again.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
39 Thank semush

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 7 November 2009

We had wanted to visit Istanbul for a while and finally decided to go. We had heard excellent things about the four seasons properties from friends so we decided to break our short trip into 2 days at Sultanahmet and 2 at the Bhosporous property. After we got to the Sultanahmet property we decided to spend all the time at this property. The hotel was kind enough to cancel the resevation at the Bhosporous property and extend our stay.
The hotel is situated in a perfect location to explore the old city. The Blue mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Cisterns are all within 5 mins walk, if that. The hotel is a haven of peace and tranquility from the hussel and bustle of the world outside its doors. The constant grind of carpet sellers and any other object they can sell you. Within the walls of the hotel you are cosetted. The staff are attentive but not overly attentive. Its is not a large property so it retains a boutique atmosphere. The concierges are excellent in their knowledge of the city.
We took our son who is 7 and thought it may be an issue as the hotel doesn't have a kids club but the staff made every effort to keep him happy when we were in the hotel which wasn't often. Our only niggle with the hotel was that it has essentially one restaurant in the courtyard where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were never at the hotel for lunch so can't comment. The food for dinner is european food which is OK but coming to Turkey i expected something Turkish. The food is OK but not exceptional. The breakfast is buffet and ala carte. The buffet is not as extensive as many of the other four seasons i have been to. The best part is having tea in the coutyard in the evening, weather permitting with some delicious Baclava. These are minor criticisms.
The rooms are typically four seaons excellence. Should you require internet access you will have to pay in your room. I cannot understand why four seasons does this as most people will seldom ever use it so why not make it complimentary. The hotel brings all sorts og goodies to your room complimentary each day from Baclava to chocolates.

All in all a great hotel in a superb location to explore an interesting city.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank SFRLondon
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Fantastic service and property in the primo spot in Istanbul at very high prices -- but, worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrDBA
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Not much to say. The hotel is a standard Four Seasons, great service, great rooms.

The one standout is the location. It really is in a phenomenal location in Istanbul. You are a 2 minute walk from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, etc. Just such a great base. Unfortunately not many non-touristy dining options around, but a 15 lira cab ride will get you to plenty of cool places in Beyoglu.

If you can afford it, it's fantastic.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pbannister
Geneva
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel is absolutely great for this location and design. The service is very good too. We have a very nice suite but unfortunatly the prices for the suites are two or three times what they were some years ago and are exagerated in comparaison what you get.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angeltwo
new york city
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I planned a trip to Istanbul for my anniversary. I did intensive research into hotels and was impressed with the two Four Seasons properties. They did not disappoint. We spent 2 nights at the Sultanahmet location. The location is ideal for all the sightseeing points. You are just steps away from all the major attractions and this made the extra money worth it. The concierge was exceptional with restaurant recommendations and shopping. We also had a transfer from the airport to the hotel which added to the experience. The food at the hotel was average, we had breakfast included in our room rate so we ate this there.This is not a cheap hotel, but you pay for the service. We had a level above the standard room which was on a higher floor with a terrace. I would not recommend the standard rooms as they all tend to be on the first floor and seem to be noisier. After two days we transferred to the Four Seasons Bosphorous property for a very different, but also outstanding experience. I would highly recommend the Four Seasons hotels in Istanbul.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pickles80
Florida/Virginia
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We stayed at the Four Seasons Sultanamet for a week in August with our 2.5 year old grandson. Everyone could not have been nicer. From the tiny slippers and robe to the coloring books to a fabulour Jr. menu (actually we ate from it too. It was half the price of the regular menu. I mean filet mignon and brocolli for $12!!!) everything was just great. The staff - as I hav found at other Four Seasons - took care of our every need even anticipating some needs before we had them. The staff were charmed by Ben and he was delighted with them. It is a wonderful city for kids with lots to see and do. We took a trip up the Bosphorus on a ferry with a nice lunch at the last stop. And then we took another ferry to the Prince's Is. and stopped at the last one for a carriage ride up to the top ofthe island (no cars allowed on the island). Ben loved the "horsies" and we loved the views and the wonderful old houses from all time periods. Reminded us a bit of Nantucket. Because we were being "granny-nanny (and grandad) for Ben for our own child who was there on behalf of the American government we were able to take advantage of the meeting rate. Without that the cost would be very high - but worth every penny. It is sparkling clean, efficient, charming, comfortable has marvelous food and staff. Cannot say enough. Faith Andrews Bedford www.faithandrewsbedford.com

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family