“Great Hotel in Beautiful Istanbul”

The Ritz-Carlton, Istanbul
Ranked #56 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Istanbul Ritz is wonderful! The staff remember your name and treat you like family. We were on a 3 week vacation and spent 5 days here. There are plenty of things to do in Istanbul and the Ritz is a great base for exploring. The Concierge was very helpful. They booked a dance show at Hodjapasha Cultural Center (stop by Hafiz Mustafa 1864 for sweets after) provided maps, restaurant recommendations, directed us to the Bosphorus Ferry (we did the 6 hour Eminonu to Anadolu route), helped us find the Galata Mevlevinanesi or Whirling Dervish House, the Dervish Sema Service is at 5:30 on Sunday but tickets can sell out so get them early.
We walked everywhere and there is alot of walking to be done. We also used the metro everyday. It was 2 TL or $1 per ride. To get to it there is a small elevator off the Ritz lobby, take this down and go out the front of the hotel, head down the hill and turn right, walk 2 blocks and you will see the metro on your left. Turkey seemed very safe to us. We had no problems and walked everywhere. It is very hilly with small winding roads, I highly recommend tennis shoes. We even walked to the walls of Constantine from Chora Church (we took a cab to Chora from Ritz) and then walked down to the Grand Bazaar. We loved Sultanahmet and Istikal Avenue. The street food is wonderful. Lots of carts selling watermelon, melon, roasted chestnuts, corn on the cob. We walked over the Galata bridge several times. On the top level are fishermen and on the lower level are restaurants. The palaces were beautiful. One thing I wish had done was to have the Ritz book us on a group tour of Dolmabahce Palace. The line to buy individual tickets is very long! There are no private tours. All other sites Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace were easy to get into. We enjoyed the harems of both palaces too. One warning: everyone will want to sell you a carpet. If you are not interested you must be very firm because they try their best to persuade you to come to their shops for just a look.
Our room did not have a Bosphorus view but it was spacious and on the quiet side of the hotel, away from the stadium. The bathroom is wonderful - large, all marble, great shower water pressure and drinkable water. There is turndown service with chocolates on your pillow every night. The outdoor pool is very relaxing with 3 hot (actually more warm) tubs to soak in. There is a great view of the city from the outdoor pools. The spa is wonderful! The staff will show you around. There are lockers with checked wraps, robes, slippers, etc. to use while enjoying the Hamam. You can sign up for a service or just enjoy the Hamam on your own. There is also a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi in the locker rooms. The locker rooms lead out to a large indoor pool w/jacuzzi.
There is always complimentary Turkish Delight in the lobby and in the morning coffee and cherry juice. The computers are in the bar which also has a pool table and more great views of Istanbul.
We were celebrating our anniversary and were treated to champaign, chocolate covered strawberries and red heart balloons in our room. The Ritz is a premium property that goes the extra mile to make you feel valued and at home. You will enjoy a wonderful stay here!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy88

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed here for a five day study conference. Had a room with a view of the Bosphorus Strait and the Inonu futbol stadium. Corner room with a fantastic view. See all the water traffic, ships, ferries, private speed boats etc. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was outstanding. They actually placed your toiletries neatly back in it's place. Shower was great with powerful water flow. Marble all over the bathroom. Had trouble with one of our electrical appliance and the house electrician went out of his way to repair the unit and convert it to 220V. He was the saving grace on this trip. Was traveling with the family so we had a roll away, a crib and a refrigerator. The fridge was not as cold as I would have liked it to be so I used ice from the ice maker. Turn down service every night with chocolate. The spa was outstanding with a great pool. In each of the locker rooms there was a jucuzzi, steam room, sauna and a Turkish Hamam. There is also a outdoor pool but it was quite windy the days I was there so did not use it. Walked to the Taksim Square from the hotel was only 10 minutes. Get ready to walk lots of hilly streets like in San Francisco. Some very interesting and hidden side streets that you need to explore along the way. You'll never know what you will find. A drug store, a barber shop, a restaurant, a cafe, international school for language and foreign embassies. Wear comfortable walking shoes. There are plenty of ATM machines so getting USD, Euro or TL was not a problem. Concierge was about to get tickets to the soccer game (futbol) and to say that they are passionate about their teams is a understatement. Also took a four hour evening boat tour on the Bosphorus. Recommend it highly. Bring a wrap or jacket the temperature tends to get cool at night. Overall staying at the Ritz was truly wonderful. Would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Istanbul. Five stars, service, rooms, security.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the Bosphorus
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BadBoyz
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I booked for 3 rooms, all with Bosphorus view, this is a must try when you're in Istanbul.

Likes:
1. The view, if you choose Bosphorus View.
2. Rooms are spacious.
3. Cleanliness is excellent.
4. The breakfast is at good taste and good variety.
5. Bathrooms, spacious and lovely, with top quality marbles.
6. Near the Palace.
7. Good and prompt concierge service.

Dislike:
1. A bit at Hill position, so it i not that easy to walk around. I use private car charter with driver, so location not a problem but for enjoyment of walking around of Hotel area, is not that comfort level.

Room Tip: Choose Bosphorus View, that what is the most of this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I travelled here on business for two nights. After arriving around 4pm, I was told my room wasn't ready and I'd 'have to sit in the lounge' (no apology, not explaination). Tired from a turbulant, delayed flight and in need of a shower and change for a meeting, I waited over an hour with not as much as someone nipping over to see if I needed anything (subsequently I was late for said meeting). When my room was finally ready, I was just handed the card key and bundled in the lift. Nobody showed me to my room, or even told me which floor it was on. I was given no overview of the amenaties available, what time breakfast is served, etc (I had to phone down twice to ask about breakfast and if there was a pool and for a list of available spa treatments). The welcome card in the room was addressed to someone else entirely, and on all correspondance addressed to me, I was referred to as 'Mr' - dispite correcting this several times.
Once in my room, the overall cleanliness was 'ok', however there were hairs in the bath, which was pretty disgusting. Nothing that was used from the mini bar was replaced on the 2nd day (although I was charged for it so they had obviously checked) The walls seem to be paper thin, there were children staying in the next room with cartoons on full blast and a baby that screamed all night long.
Finally, when checking out I went all the way through the process and paid with my credit card. Only to be told they had forgot to charge me for breakfast. I said it was no problem and paid the extra 65TL in cash without checking the original bill (probably a silly mistake, but you don't really expect it of this kind of establishment.) On returning to London, I noticed that the breakfast had been on the original bill and I had been double charged. I've emailed them to refund the duplicate breakfast charge, although no response as of yet...
I know some of the above may sound slightly petty, but if you're paying for this kind of hotel, you expect the best service. In my experience, the Swissotel and Four Seasons are FAR better in this price range - In fact, you'd probably get better service in your local premier inn!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Antonia G
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I spent 3 wonderful nights at the Ritz Carlton, Istanbul recently and can only say how impressed we were with the service and the quality of this hotel.

The bedding in our rooms was simply luxurious and contributed to a wonderful night's sleep which is sometimes not easy in a hotel bed.

Little things like a nightly bed turn down with chocolates on your pillows through to a magnificent breakfast and free WI FI make for a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bosphurus straights.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Ritz Carlton Istanbul is first class all the way. From the moment you pull up with the personalized greetings but the bellmen to the front desk staff they consistently anticipate your needs before you do. We had a club room and the service by the club staff and the concierge was phenomenal. They were extremely helpful and went above and beyond in helping to arrange private tours as well as advice on the area. The food in the lounge was A+++. The food at the outdoor dining area was delicious and superb service. The room was spotless and was so comfortable I did not want to leave after three nights. The pool was clean and relaxing. The only tip I have for them is the bar staff at the pool is slow and not overly helpful.
I recommend this hotel hands down as our experience was truly outstanding! I would absolutely return on my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and I went for a long weekend to Istanbul. We chose the Ritz because of its reputation. It didn't let us down. However, it is in the 'business hotel' centre of Istanbul – and some way from the major tourist attractions (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Basilica Cistern etc). It's a tram ride away. While we had no trouble mastering the (excellent) tram system, I'd much rather walk. A few times we asked for taxis, there was a lengthy wait for the hotel to get them. So I'd say it's a very good business hotel, but tourists are probably better to stay nearer the main sights.

Room Tip: We had a 'partial Bosphorus view' room (for a supplement) and it really was very 'partia...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple