“Quite an experience”

Ranked #66 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Belgium
“Quite an experience”
Reviewed 21 May 2007

My wife had to go to a congress and so I went with her to Istanbul where everyone stayed in the RC.
We had a very nice stay, even if it was in one of the "standard" rooms, the was no way of complaining about the standard package included. Safe, slippers, bathrobes, weather forecast card every night on the bed, some sweets, bottle of water supplied.

Security seems to be a big issue, every car is checked even with a mirror to see underneeth. Luguage is passed through an X-ray machine, also every bag when you re-enter the building goes through it.

Staff is very helpful, no problem when you need a cab, a map of Istanbul (two kinds: touristic one and detailed with all the streets - but the last one you have to ask specially), also good help in the Spa (Laveda) even if you forget a comb or toothpaste it is no extra effort !

Breakfast looks like heaven and the staff if taking care of everything, also the little details (eg: a friend had her bag with her and after she had put it on the ground they came with a small table to put it on net to her)!

Only negative point that I can remember: the double bed had a very warm duvet cover. We asked three times to put a plain sheet on the bed and a duvet cover for only one person, but we gave up because they didn't seem to get it how to do this.

One tip: don't let the taxidrivers take you from the old city via taksim to the hotel, it's a longer trip (thay are paid by the miles they drive, not the time) but take the road along the Bosphorus. Most of the times there are no problems and it is much shorter.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Mr_Daman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glendale, California
Reviewed 16 May 2007

I stayed at the Ritz on a club floor April 30-May 5. The room - a park view double - was quite small and tight with little room for luggage etc. The bathroom was beautiful. I think the club floor lounge could do with a makeover as it looks a little tired.

The biggest issue was that there was some sort of music festival at the university across the street that resulted in what seemed like a full rock band in my room (and everyone else facing that direction).
I called the manager at 11:30pm and was told that I should have received a letter in my room about this (I didn't and neither did any of my colleagues). He said it would be over at midnight. At 12:15am it was still going strong - I called back and was told the manager had gone over there to see about shutting it down. At that point I stuffed in my earplugs and popped an Ambien but could still hear and feel the thumping bass and drums.

The next day was my last day in Istanbul and our meetings finished a little early - I had 3 hours to myself before a business dinner - returned to my room to rest and chill out. Guess what - the music is going strong. Call downstairs "Sorry it is a sound check for tonight's concert - would I like them to send up some earplugs?". What??? At this point I'm furious. While I realize the hotel has no control over the university they should have better informed their guests. I found out from another employee that this is an annual event - I suggest not booking rooms on the park side of the hotel during this festival as it is impossible to provide what you are selling, sleeping rooms, if there is so much noise no one can sleep.

On the plus side:
I did receive a call from a Customer Service Manager who offered me a free massage which I had to refuse as I had no free time and arranged to change my room to the other side of the hotel. The inconvenience of packing up and moving rooms after 4 days for 1 night was worth the peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank elynchking
princeton nj
Reviewed 8 April 2007

Just returned from spending six nights at the Ritz Carlton in Istanbul (interspersed with two nights in Cappadocia) and found it to be every bit as good as the reviews here indicate. The service and amenities met the high standards one would expect at a Ritz Carlton, with great views, excellent security, meticulously maintained spacious rooms, well-appointed marble bathrooms and some of the most comfortable beds we've experienced.

We were met with apple tea and treats on arrival and a courtesy tray of goodies was delivered to our room shortly thereafter. They uncomplainingly changed our room when we came back from Cappadocia to find ourselves booked into an unacceptable third floor room overlooking a utility building (we were pleased with both our 6th and 7th floor rooms). The concierge was helpful -- bending over backwards to make good recommendations for our dinners. Breakfasts were included with our room most days (part of a weekend rate package), although the 50 lira per person on the remaining days was high, as was the 10 lira price for a cup of coffee/tea. On the plus side, shoe shines overnight were complimentary and the housekeeping and turndown services efficient.

This is not a "charming" hotel -- it's a big, modern high rise. It's not within walking distance of most of the historic/cultural sites other than the Dolambechi Palace -- but the cab rides were only 6 to 10 lira and a quick 5-10 minutes to most sites. Walking out of the hotel for an inexpensive breakfast or non-hotel dinner involves hiking up a fairly steep hill in a not terribly nice part of town before reaching the hopping Taksim Square commercial district, where there's a substantial nightlife and loads of interesting places to eat.

That said, we would definitely stay here again. The Four Seasons, another of our potential choices, is terrifically located in the Sultanamet area but is a bit more closed in, with smaller rooms and outrageous prices. We did, however, enjoy an afternoon tea break there in there beautifully appointed greenhouse restaurant and it appeared to have the quality and outstanding service you expect from a Four Seasons. We had also considered the Cirigan Palace Kempinski and were happy not to have selected it over the Ritz Carlton (under renovation, rooms in a fairly institutional modern setting with only the public areas in the historic palace and in an even less desireable location than the Ritz Carlton).

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank princetonreviewer
montreal, quebec
Reviewed 5 March 2007

What an extraordinary experience we had at The Ritz Carlton istanbul mid february 2007. The service we received at this wonderful hotel was simply out of this world. From the front desk to the bell hop and the superb guest recognition team, everyone was eager to please. People were always smiling and no request was denied for the 3 wonderful nights we spent there. In the morning an employee from guest recognition would come to meet us in the lobby and ask us if everything was to our satisfaction. She would give us tips on where to go and how to get there, even calling a private hotel taxi to whisk us downtown! When we would come back, we would find a hand written note by manager in our hotel room welcoming us and little treats like a bottel of wine, fresh fruit and little chocolates.

A turn down they would even place a card with the temperature for the next day. And the beds, OH THE BEDS!!! They are so confortable, we did not want to leave.

The exquisite spa is to die for with that heavenly indoor pool with the ceiling painted as the sky. They have everything from steam room to sauna and jacuzzi.

This is the most wonderful hotel experience I had, and the staff of this property are the main reason for the excellence of the Ritz Carlton Istanbul. Go experience it, you will talk about it for years to come!

• Liked — the wonderful rooms, the beds, the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank roninMontreal
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2006

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Istanbul on business and it was lovely.

Liked the focus on security as you enter – your bags are X-rayed.

The rooms are large with huge marble bathrooms and I had a lovely view of the setting sun on the Bosphorus both evenings. The staff were helpful, the food great – in the restaurant and the club lounge. The complimentary water was a nice touch and the turndown included chocolates!

The staff were amazing when at short notice I needed to two rooms for some meetings – they bent over backwards to accommodate the request and the front of house staff helped me contact the attendees with the details and asking whether people needed cars etc.

Always a long row of taxis outside and with the help of the hotel staff - I got to my destination without paying double the amount. I also used the hotel car service which was very efficient and the drivers spoke good English.

Not sure I’d want to stay in this location if I was here on holiday but otherwise a really lovely hotel.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank Peagreen98
British Columbia
Reviewed 19 October 2006

I spent two nights at this hotel while on business, in a club level room. Let's eliminate the one con: The hotel does sit by itself on a hill--there's nothing to see or do in the immediate area (though I'd have no problem simply lounging around the hotel and looking at the Bosporus). However, it's not a tremendous walking distance away from Dolmabahçe Palace. You could also take an invigorating stroll to Taksim Square or Nişantaşı.

There are many pros: Nicely appointed rooms, spacious tile-and-marble bathrooms, and helpful staff. If you have access to the club lounge, you'll enjoy a very nice breakfast buffet (cold meats, smoked fish, olives, cheese, fruit, breads, pastries, hot items, cereal, and--my favorite--fresh honeycomb, straight from the bees!), and the space is great to sit witha drink and wind the day down. In addition to the breakfast buffet are several other buffets through the day with all kinds of treats.

The building seems quite secure. Taxis seemed to be always available, and the hotel staff made sure I got where I was going and didn't pay more than I needed to.

If you want to be closer to the action, choose a hotel closer to Taksim Square or in Sultanahmet. If you'd like a very pleasant place to stay and aren't put off by having to take taxis, consider the Ritz--I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Liked — Comfort, elegance, food!
  • Disliked — Convenience to attractions (minor problem)
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank waterstone
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 September 2006

Although the very modern glass structure of the hotel doesn’t seem to match its surroundings, the Ritz Carlton Istanbul is truly wonderful. Heavy security as you enter – your bags go through an X-ray machine, you, through a metal detector. On a hot Friday evening we were immediately offered lemonade as we approached check-in. In true Ritz style and Turkish hospitality, the staff was pleasant, prompt and efficient. Our room was beautiful and the marble bathroom was spectacular. Complimentary Turkish delight was promptly brought to our room with a personalized note from the manager. The terrace bar with a view of the river was perfect. Light mezze, local wine and beer were served to the tunes of a Turkish Bossa Nova trio playing in the background. The skies lit up with fireworks over the river. Breakfast was excellent and once again, the service was impeccable.

• Liked — Elegance and Service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple