“Very nice, but kind of far from tourist sites”

Eresin Hotels Topkapi
Ranked #203 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The Barcelo is a lovely hotel with a very nice dining room. The breakfast was the most extravagent buffet I saw in Turkey - everything one could imagine, including scrambled and fried eggs, sausage, bacon, every imaginable kind of fruit, waffles, pancakes, etc. We stayed here as part of a tour, so I can't speak to value for money because I don't know what we paid, but the room was spacious and comfortable, marble bathroom, good water pressure, etc. It seemed the hotel was kind of far from the tourist areas (way too far to walk, but for the most hardy), but the metro is right in front of the hotel, so that would have made it easy to get around (we had a guide and a bus and such). I would prefer to stay up in the Taksim area where there is more nightlife and all-around activity (and you can easily take a taxi to the old city for touristy stuff during the day). But this was very nice. It appeared (from the pictures) that there was a wonderful pool and spa, but we were so busy we never saw it.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank JamesWhite
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed on 5th floor, we were 4 adults in 2 rooms. We booked B&B. The hotel staff were always helpful and courteous. Breakfast was plentiful, with a good variety that changed slightly each day. The rooms were clean and towels changed daily. Water pressure was excellent. Safe included with room. Spa was clean and pleasant. We ate in the hotel one night and the meal was excellent. The waiter very attentive. The only 3 areas of concern were 1) a lack of aircon - the building got very hot during the day and so our rooms became stuffy, and 2) the traffic noise outside due to it's location on Millet Street, 3) poor bar service - 2xbeers on separate nights included a fly in each and a "Macallan Whisky" that wasn't. These were not major problems and though we were offered a move to the back of the hotel (no view) we stayed put. After reading some very negative comments on Trip Advisor, I was apprehensive when booking this hotel. Just inside the old city walls, but well outside the centre, the remote location has its benefits. There are no mosques within earshot so our sleep was never disturbed by the call to prayers. And the tram stops outside the hotel so with regular service Sultanamet is only 10 minutes away. I have no real complaint at all about Barcelo Eresin and would happily stay there again if visiting Istanbul in the future.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SRLM
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2009

Dear SRLM:

Thank you very much for your kind review and also for sharing the points of concern you mention. Our guests' feedback is very useful for us to improve our service. We are already working on the temperature issue, since the 5th floor is the upper one and gets much warmer than the rest.

We are glad to know that you had a satisfying experience in Barcelo Eresin Topkapi and would be more than pleased to welcome you again soon.

Kindest regards,

María Gutiérrez
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 9 March 2009

Good hotel, not expensive, a little far from the touristic zone but with all the facilities you need

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Barcelo Eresin Topkapi was beautiful but a bit pricey. I stayed for a few days coming from San Diego California. They coudn't find my reservation right away but they tried to accomodate me. Some of the reception spoke English which was great but lack of communication on my reservations which was booked. I loved the breakfast and the restaurant. The food was superb. They have a nice swimming pool spa with a mural. The healthclub was nice. The gentleman there gave me the necessary stuff like towels locker room and shower cap. I like the wireless internet in every room and the little area where they have internet access although it was difficult using a computer that was taylored for usa. Some of the reception guys were sharp with my receipts and what i was spending but too strict when it came to questioning my guest and his reservation. I felt it was rude.. They questioned my guest many times and although my guest paid for his room he kept getting questioned which annoyed me. I did not even see the manager of the hotel when requested on clarifying the reservation issue. i was still accomadated but was inconvenienced having to keep insisting that my reservation is paid for and booked. Lack of training on the hotel staff and their computers. I kept asking for a plug outlet for my computer yet they kept giving me one that didnt' work. Finally one of the guest helped me in requesting. I love the little lounge and had expresso there. The light was dim but you could see the local shops down the street. The Christmas decorations were beautiful and the lobby area was nice. They made sure my bags were brought up and the turkish literature was fine. Though my view was of someone's backyard it was ok. The bathrooms were beautiful complete with everything. I enjoyed my stay because if was part of my memorable adventure, i just don't like the inconvenience that i had to go through with the staff sometimes in the reservation. But not all the staff was bad. The restaurant was wonderful and very organized and clean. The food was served great and the decor marvelous. I liked the gym though small it did have most of the equiptment. The pool look just as good as the photos. I would recommend this place but it is pricey and to make sure that you become more assertive in making sure your reservations are confirmed because for some reason they have conflicting information on the computer. YOu have to tell them everything you want or they will not help. They won't always smile but they will try to see what can be done. If you have patience then fine. Some of the women staff were rude but most of the male staff were accomodating. Trying to get them to smile was a challenge. The guests were very nice. I don't recommend this to anyone who is on a budget or has no patience. lol I do recommend this hotel for those seeking visual stimulation from the beautiful decor, the exotic name, the prompt room service, The hotel though was very beautiful but i've also been to comparable 5 star hotels with the same set up. The mini bar was organized and i love the slippers and the different services being offered. I love the literature on turkey, the massage treatments, and baths.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank mstraveler24
Reviewed 18 November 2008

The hotel is located within the old city walls of Istanbul, but it is by no means anywhere close to the city center. There aren't many restaurants around, but it's only saving grace is that the metro stop is directly in front of the hotel. There are three computers with free internet access on the 2nd floor.

Ask for a room on floors 3-5, as they are cleaner and newer than the rooms on floors 1 and 2. The rooms facing the front of the hotel can be a bit noisy if you leave the balcony door open, but it's not unbearable (but then again, I am not a light sleeper). The bathrooms are a decent size and comes equipped with a good hairdryer and toiletries (including toothbrush & toothpaste and a shaving kit).

The hotel restaurant is OK, but over priced, so it's best to hop on the metro and head into Taxim.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank i-gots-wanderlust
Reviewed 14 October 2008

We have had a really nice stay at the hotel. The staff was very helpful, particularly the responsible for public relations, Mr. Kizil. Our room was good, after we managed relatively quickly to get it changed to one with views on the avenue (not noisy).
The restaurant was excellent with a big variety of different food and tasts (European and Turkish). The bar and the piano player did much to make our time there as entertaining as possible.

The hotel is about 20 minutes away from the historic center (you need to take a tram), very near to a charming and very Turkish part of the town. We felt secure there and it was nice to walk around and see not only tourists, but normal people.

The SPA at the hotel is worth visiting (try the Sultan's hamam).

We would choose this hotel again without doubt.

Paloma & Pedro from Alicante / Spain

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Usually where I'm staying during vacation constitute a big chunk of the vacation experience, therefore Barcelo Topkapi as a hotel adds little to the overall experience.
(-ve) The breakfast is identical daily (for 7 days)
(+ve) The staff can comprehend English.
(-ve) I requested hot water and they charged me for it 5YTL=4$
(+ve) The health club is different, but not different from other Turkish ones.
(-ve) Room amenities are non.
(-ve) Limited tourist information available at the hotel.
(-ve) late check-out time is 1300
(-ve) I arrived at 900 am and I kept waiting till 1100.
(+ve) The location is steps away from bus & Tram stations which can get you almost anywhere
(-ve) The location is at the far end of happening places, so if you are looking for downtown location this is not the one. And next to a hospital, hence, the never ending sirens of ambulances.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple