“don't look any further” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #149 of 1,120 Hotels in Istanbul
Orlando
“don't look any further”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

Words can not express my splendid trip to Istanbul on my birthday and thanks to Barcelo eresin topkapi I had the best trip ever. Before going to istanbul I did so many research about the area and its hotels. I end up choosing Barcelo and I did the perfect choice. I would like to express a special thanks to Mr Juan Miralles, the operation manager, who once I checked-in I was sent a nice chocolate cake as a gift for my birthday, that was a very nice gesture to start my vacation with. Most of the reception desk team are very friendly and yes they do speak descent english, you just have to be patient as they will do their best to listen to your request, respond back and accomodate you. remember you're not in the U.S so when people speak to you in english that's a plus. I did call many times for extra blankets and keys and they were delivered in no time. the hotel is more likely a 4 star to the US standards. Yet, the ameneties are just amazing, they have indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steaming room and Turkish Hammam, what else can you ask for. some people were complaining the hotel si too far. my answer is if you want to be in taksim or beyoglu area then good luck with that. first those areas are way too noisy, second most of taksim hotels dont have half of the amenities that barcelo has, if yes they charge you triple what barcelo does. Barcelo is located at topkapi area, very safe and quiet, 2 minutes away from the tramway...I dont think I ever spent more that 5 minutes wait time and it cost a 1.50 lira which is about a dollar, it will take you to sultanahmet 10 min taksim 20 min and it is a lovely ride as you get to see the whole city and experience it with locals. There is also a supemarket 2 minutes away where you can get water and juices cheap. just make sure you buy a swimming cap in advance as you will need that for the swimming pool. again thanks Mr Juan Mirales and the whole barcelo team for making my trip a memorable one and I will definitely book Barcelo again on my next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 6 March 2010
Dear Youssef-orlando,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Recognition from our guests is like an injection of energy and motivation for the whole team, and it supports our belief that small details can make the difference. Therefore it will be a great pleasure to share your nice comments with them.

I would like to thank you also on behalf of Mr. Miralles and the Front Office team, both mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel the next time you come to Istanbul.

Best regards,

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Distrito Federal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed here during our 5 days visit to Istambul and had the best experience in such a different country for us mexicans.
All the people at the hotel were so friendly, helpful with information and suggestions. Explaining and giving advice of what to do and the best way of doing it. Specially Mr. Mithat Unaldi at the front desk was so nice, and as he also speaks spanish, helped us a lot to make our vacations so special and unique.
The food at the restaurant was so good and the internet always available.
Very close to a tram station.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

We were here for Christmas holidays and the hotel was nicely decorated. The hotel is rated 5*, but is not so spectacular, it is comfortable and quiet, you will only hear mornig call to prayer from the near Mosque.

Being Spanish, you may feel a little bit at home because there are some Spanish details at breakfast buffet, you may find quite a lot of Spaniards staying at the hotel and hotel staff can understand you.

The bad point is that except from the tram station, there's nothing around and you cannot reach any turistic place on foot. If you choose to stay here, just bear in mind that you may depend on the tram (20 min. to Sultanahmet).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GGZ
istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

We stayed in this hotel one more time before, because of that stay i could booked hotel from internet with my barcelo option and got discount.
Reception department is very interested, and polite.
Check in was completed in a minute.
My wife and i had two backpacks and didn't need for bellboy help.
Room is very well decorated, both in bedroom and bathroom.
Bed is very comfortable.
Bathroom has everyhing you may need, even shaving set, toothbush and toothpaste.
Tramway and bus station is very near, one minute with walking.

There was two pairs of slippers and i liked most.
Both hotel and room are very clean.
TV wasn't lcd, it was disadvantage if you may care.
I wish that room would be larger some.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 28 December 2009
Dear "sabonroad",

Thank you for your review and for your nice comments about our hotel. You are fully right: only a few suites and rooms had LCD TV screens until now, but I am pleased to inform you that we plan to change the TVs in all our Club Premium rooms and Suite rooms in January - February 2010, so please do not hesitate to book one of these upgraded rooms in your next stay in our hotel. According to our plans, all of our rooms will feature LCD in 2011. We agree this is an added value nowadays, and are looking forward for our guests to enjoying it.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience in this site.

Yours faithfully,

Assistant Manager
Dublin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

I have no complaints about this hotel for the entire length of the three weeks my wife and I spent here. We came for three days and kept extending again and again due to the excellence in service delivery in every way. The internet is best on the first floor as opposed to the upper levels, but the upper levels are more fully finished in terms of use of wood accents etc. The location is a bit away from things, but it was perfect for us to have the quiet and the tram station directly in front took us to where we needed to go. A touch we really liked was the double windows with air space in between that completely blocked out the noise of the street and tram for perfect serenity during the stay. The exercise room was better than any we have seen in Istanbul but still small relative to the US.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RK351
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 18 November 2009
Dear RK351,

Thank you very much for your review. It makes us very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us to the point to extend it from a few days to three weeks.

We regularly check the strength of the WiFi signal and take necessary actions to keep it adequate in every area of the hotel; in that sense we are glad to know you could profit from it without having any difficulty.

Despite not being located downtown, as you point out upon your experience, main tourist sites can be reached in a few minutes by taking the tram which stops in front of the hotel. One of the positive aspects of our location, as you also mention, is a quieter, more relaxed atmosphere, very appreciated when coming back to the hotel after a day full of activity.

We can proudly share that we have one of the best and biggest wellness centres in the old peninsula, are we are glad to know that our guests value it.

The hotel has been fully renovated between 2006 and 2007. The fact that the renovation has been carried out without closing the hotel, floor by floor, explains that some floors are slightly older than others. Guestroom windows in the upper floors have single soundproof glass; only those in the first floor facing the main street have double glass with some space in between in order to prevent our guests to be disturbed by outside noice.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us and with other travellers. Looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel soon, receive my very best regards,

Salt Lake City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.

First of all, this hotel is nowhere NEAR a 5 star hotel! I will say from the exterior, and the lobby, we expected the rooms and service to be much better... we were disappointed.

When we arrived at noon, we were asked to come back in an hour and a half because our room wasn't ready. No big deal, we walked a few blocks down and ate lunch and walked through the shopping area. When we came back to check in, the clerk at the front desk asked about our room preferences, which were also chosen when the room was booked-- non-smoking, one double bed. Well, first they put us in a room with two single beds, so we called and asked to be moved to a room with one double bed. Then, we were put into a room with a double bed, but this time it was a smoking room, yuck. So, we called yet again, and finally got a non-smoking room with a double bed. The attendant that they sent up acted like it was an inconvenience for him, and then lingered like he was waiting around for a tip... sorry, we were not in the mood to tip after having to shuffle around to 3 different rooms!

The room: The room stunk! It smelled like it had been a smoking room and they shampooed the carpets. There was a lingering odor. The carpets did not look like they had been vacuumed after the last guests left; there were visible crumbs of some sort on the carpet. The room just didn't seem like it was maintained very well in general. One day we had purchased a bag of chips, and I dropped a piece of chip on the floor accidentally. I said to my husband, "I think I'll just leave it there and see if they actually vacuum." When we returned later, my husband took a bottle of water out of a grocery sack that we had of snacks and said "well, here's the chip", instead of vacuuming the chip up, they decided to put it into our grocery sack...

The bathroom: The water pressure in the shower was a complete JOKE!!! When you turned the hot water on in the tub it literally trickled out, so, if you wanted more pressure, you would have to turn on the cold water really high. Take your pick-- either a hot shower that drips out, or a cold shower with some (not good) water pressure. Additionally, the glass shower divider door would not stay closed, so water got all over the bathroom. The toilet was hit or miss! Sometimes it would flush, sometimes you would have to try 4 times to get it to flush. My husband and I commented that we had never stayed at a hotel and actually run out of soap... they are very stingy with giving out soap-- we were given one tiny bar during the time that we stayed there which was evidently to be used at both the sink and in the shower, and that we used up completely.

Thank goodness I didn't choose to pay for the hotel breakfast everyday when I booked the room! We didn't eat the hotel breakfast until the very last morning, after we checked out and were on our way to the airport. I walked through, and thought that it might be good based upon the signs next to the chafing dishes. I thought perhaps the breakfast was the saving grace of the hotel... NO! We paid about $50 for the two of us for a TERRIBLE breakfast! We had NO service, I mean NONE! We had to flag someone down to give us coffee, then not a single one of our plates was cleared from the table, we just had to stack them up, and on a small two person table, that doesn't leave much room for anything else. The bacon was cold, not just lukewarm, literally cold, as in it was pre-cooked, just came out of the refrigerator and the fat had congealed on it. The scrambled eggs were just runny mush and tasted like they were strictly egg yolks. There were little scoops of mashed potatoes-- obviously frozen, packaged stuff-- they were hard on the outside and ice cold on the inside. Then, there were "mixed omlettes" which were just thin pieces of burned eggs... what the heck? It was as if they just poured egg onto a griddle, let it over cook, then threw it in the dish to serve. There was a reasonable selection of fruit, and fruit juices. One guy asked me where I got the bacon; I pointed and told him it's really cold as if it just came out of the refrigerator and he said "well, you either eat, or you don't eat." Clearly, he was on one of the tour groups who were locked into eating that breakfast every morning. When we were done we were beyond upset with our stay at the hotel in general, and the breakfast which cost us about $50 was just the icing on the cake. $50 for breakfast is fairly pricey in the U.S. but about what you would expect to pay at a 5 star hotel for breakfast, so for $50 in Turkey, you would expect a damn good breakfast... NO.

We didn't use the pool, but it looked pretty nice. It was crowded when we walked through. My husband got a massage which he thought was not very good.

We actually liked the location of the hotel. We were glad to be out of the completely touristy areas. We spent one night in Sultanhamet, so we felt like we got that experience. The tramway is right outside of the door, and it's about a 10 minute ride to Sultanhamet for about $1.50 per person/ per ride. The tramway will also take you close to most of the attractions. The other nice thing was that there was a Shell gas station right next to the hotel, so we would stop there every day to get bottled water and snacks. The bottled water there was .50 Turkish lira compared to some absurd amount that they were charging at the hotel-- something like 4 Turkish lira.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? No. I'm sure there are MUCH better options! The staff in general seemed like they had a chip on their shoulders, and were not eager to help, and the facilities need to be updated. Not to mention the terrible, overpriced breakfast.
The only plus was that we had wireless internet access for free.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abbey_315
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 4 December 2009
Dear abey_315,

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn about your experience in our hotel through this site.

Thank you very much also for the good comments you make about our location, surroundings and the tramway service, as well as about the free WiFi.

Coming to the “to be improved” points:

October has been a very busy month, closing most of the days full-house. Provided every guest has the right to keep the room until 12 p.m., sometimes unfortunately we are not able to provide a room straight away upon arrival, if this is produced much earlier to the normal check-in time which starts at 2 p.m.

About being asked again for your room preferences and special requests upon arrival even though you already informed about them when making the reservation may be due to two different reasons: either they were not registered in our system or the Front Desk clerk did not prepare your check-in enough or wanted to make double sure that our information was accurate. Regarding the room assignment, we assume and apologize for our Front Desk clerk for first giving a room that did not matched with your preferences and we think the reason for that was his aim to provide a room as soon as possible in order to minimize the waiting time for you. Besides, we fully agree that tipping should not be expected or given for granted, and carefully train our staff in that sense.

While reading your review we have become very surprised at the fact that a room attendant would have returned a piece of chip from the floor to your grocery’s sack. This would have been a definite breach of our operating procedures, which clearly state that our guests’ belongings, including any kind of bag or sack, should never be manipulated.

We are not affected by any general water pressure problem. However, the shower’s valves eventually get full of limescale and it alters the cold-hot water mix. This is checked by our Maintenance department on a regular basis and should have been reported by our room attendant for taking immediate action, as it should have been the insufficient toilet flush pressure that happens also as a result of the mechanism being stuck after some time by the limescale contained in the water. On the other hand, our housekeeping team is trained to replace any amenity during the guest stay as soon as it has been used over 66%.

Last, but not least, and regarding the massage service, it is very much appreciated and very well considered by most of our guests. Our masseurs are provided by one of the most renowned, professional companies in Istanbul.

I sincerely wish your experience with us would have been better, as most of our guests’ experiences are.

Yours faithfully,

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Really nice hotel and the staff were amazing helpful pointing out stuff on the map for us.

The free 'hi speed internet' barely worked though, you had to go out into the corridor.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Made4areason,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to inform you that we have recently revised our WiFi system and have added a few more terminals for the connection to be fast and good in every room of our hotel. We hope you will experience the improvement in your next visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon, receive my very best regards from Istanbul,

Assistant Manager