“Great Experience”

Ranked #149 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Dub in Kuwait
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 5 days at the start of April. I thought the hotel was very nice but not exactly 5 star...maybe a great 4 star hotel. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful at all times. The room was very comfortable and the free wifi was excellent.

The hotel is itself is a bit out from the main attractions but there is a tram right outside the door which will bring you right to the heart of the tourist area in about 15-20 mins.

If i was going back to Istanbul i would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

The Location of the hotel was OK, only 10 minutes on a tram (tramvay) to main historic atractions of Istanbul. Airport is not far away either - it took me 1 hour when I arrived and 45 minutes when I was living (although staff at the hotel told me that it takes only 15 minutes!!!!).
One thing that I think it was very disapointing is that only few staff at supposingly 5* international hotel spoke English. The girl in the shop and the girl at the swimming pool reception spoke very good English and that's about it! I really struggle to explain to the staff what I want so that they understood me. When I arrived, I noticed there is no tooth brush/paste in the room (I am used to 5* hotels where usually tooth brush/paste is provided in the room hence I didn't bring it with me). It was 11pm. When I called the housekeeping and ask for tooth paste then struggle to understand what I am asking for. After 15 minutes someone called me from the kitchen and asked me which spices I ordered!?!?!?!? When I explained that I am looking for tooth paste they just put me through the reception. I explained again and it seems like they understood what I am looking for. Half an hour later nobody came to my room so I called again. Overwall I waited 1 hour for the tooth brush and paste to be delivered.
Toalets are not the best as sometimes it would flush, sometimes you would have to try 5-6 times to get it to flush. As someone else commented they are very stingy with giving out soap and other amedeties in the bathroom. I was given one soop on the first day and it wasn't replaced at all till the end.
I had breakfast every morning in the Picasso restaurant and I though it was great. There were so many different varieties of food which was a plus. They would change the menu daily which I though it was great. However service at the restaurant was very poor. When I was there the hotel was very busy and waiters at the restaurant probably didn't used to the that so they just couldn't cope. They wouldn't clear the tables fast, they never offer me a coffee or tea, I had to chace them for it as well as milk and sugar! Usually milk would be at the table and sugar but becasue it was busy there was nothing there. The same scanario happened every morning for 4 days. Only on the 5th day when the restaurant was quite empty I was given coffee straight away. Again they didn't speak English becasue when I aked for knife (there was none on my table) they didn't know what I am aking for and they had to call the manager.
There is no proper consiarge service which was very negative side. People at the reception spoke so little English that they couldn't really give you any advice even if you ask them. Although I was there on business I wanted to explore Istanbul a little bit and there was no advice or suggestions which was a shame. I had to do reserach by myself and also find my own way to the city centre and beyond.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
AGMBarceloEresin, Juan Miralles, Operations Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Dear LondonSunshine15,

Thank you very much sharing your comments with us and with other travelers, our guests feedback is very valuable for us to improve our service.

We are happy that you liked our location, both close to the city center and to Atatürk Airport. Although the distance is short (around 12 Km), the time consumed in the way to the Airport may vary depending on the traffic situation, which can be often tough in Istanbul given the fact that it is a city of over 14 million inhabitants.

It made us both surprised and sad to learn that your requests could not be easily understood by our staff, particularly for those working at the Front Desk, given that around 80% of our guests are foreigners and therefore cannot speak Turkish. We are a Spanish hotel chain and the Management team of the hotel is not Turkish, so English is the default language we use for all our internal communications. Besides, our FO Manager has been educated in the UK. On the other hand, it is a fact that our staff from other departments such as Housekeeping, who do not have perfect command of the English language, may encounter some trouble to understand our guests specially on the telephone, depending on the accent and the speed while talking, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you also for informing about some technical problems in your bathroom, we have taken immediate action in order to solve them. We also appreciate that you enjoyed our breakfast, and share your opinion that being very busy (as your stay days were) or in a rush, is not an excuse for a lower quality of service to be perceived by our guests. Consistency is a must in the hospitality industry, and we struggle to inculcate this principle to all our associates.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in Barceló Eresin Topkapı and to being able to fulfill all your expectations in your next visit, receive my very best regards from İstanbul,

Juan Miralles
Operations Manager
Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Chose the hotel "blind" off Lastminute.com secret hotels as it was such exceptional value for money.

Ended up being a great choice - the € 25 transfer from the airport was exceptional value, the location right next the tram stop was excellent for a quick dive into the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar.

Exceptional facilities - great staff.

I did have one piece of feedback which was very minor - and dealt with there and then to eveyone's staisfaction.

So whether as a business or leisure traveller - no hesitation

The leisure facilities were superb

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BruceHunter
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

Words can not express my splendid trip to Istanbul on my birthday and thanks to Barcelo eresin topkapi I had the best trip ever. Before going to istanbul I did so many research about the area and its hotels. I end up choosing Barcelo and I did the perfect choice. I would like to express a special thanks to Mr Juan Miralles, the operation manager, who once I checked-in I was sent a nice chocolate cake as a gift for my birthday, that was a very nice gesture to start my vacation with. Most of the reception desk team are very friendly and yes they do speak descent english, you just have to be patient as they will do their best to listen to your request, respond back and accomodate you. remember you're not in the U.S so when people speak to you in english that's a plus. I did call many times for extra blankets and keys and they were delivered in no time. the hotel is more likely a 4 star to the US standards. Yet, the ameneties are just amazing, they have indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steaming room and Turkish Hammam, what else can you ask for. some people were complaining the hotel si too far. my answer is if you want to be in taksim or beyoglu area then good luck with that. first those areas are way too noisy, second most of taksim hotels dont have half of the amenities that barcelo has, if yes they charge you triple what barcelo does. Barcelo is located at topkapi area, very safe and quiet, 2 minutes away from the tramway...I dont think I ever spent more that 5 minutes wait time and it cost a 1.50 lira which is about a dollar, it will take you to sultanahmet 10 min taksim 20 min and it is a lovely ride as you get to see the whole city and experience it with locals. There is also a supemarket 2 minutes away where you can get water and juices cheap. just make sure you buy a swimming cap in advance as you will need that for the swimming pool. again thanks Mr Juan Mirales and the whole barcelo team for making my trip a memorable one and I will definitely book Barcelo again on my next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 6 March 2010
Dear Youssef-orlando,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Recognition from our guests is like an injection of energy and motivation for the whole team, and it supports our belief that small details can make the difference. Therefore it will be a great pleasure to share your nice comments with them.

I would like to thank you also on behalf of Mr. Miralles and the Front Office team, both mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel the next time you come to Istanbul.

Best regards,

María Gutiérrez
Assistant General Manager
Distrito Federal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed here during our 5 days visit to Istambul and had the best experience in such a different country for us mexicans.
All the people at the hotel were so friendly, helpful with information and suggestions. Explaining and giving advice of what to do and the best way of doing it. Specially Mr. Mithat Unaldi at the front desk was so nice, and as he also speaks spanish, helped us a lot to make our vacations so special and unique.
The food at the restaurant was so good and the internet always available.
Very close to a tram station.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

We were here for Christmas holidays and the hotel was nicely decorated. The hotel is rated 5*, but is not so spectacular, it is comfortable and quiet, you will only hear mornig call to prayer from the near Mosque.

Being Spanish, you may feel a little bit at home because there are some Spanish details at breakfast buffet, you may find quite a lot of Spaniards staying at the hotel and hotel staff can understand you.

The bad point is that except from the tram station, there's nothing around and you cannot reach any turistic place on foot. If you choose to stay here, just bear in mind that you may depend on the tram (20 min. to Sultanahmet).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GGZ
istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

We stayed in this hotel one more time before, because of that stay i could booked hotel from internet with my barcelo option and got discount.
Reception department is very interested, and polite.
Check in was completed in a minute.
My wife and i had two backpacks and didn't need for bellboy help.
Room is very well decorated, both in bedroom and bathroom.
Bed is very comfortable.
Bathroom has everyhing you may need, even shaving set, toothbush and toothpaste.
Tramway and bus station is very near, one minute with walking.

There was two pairs of slippers and i liked most.
Both hotel and room are very clean.
TV wasn't lcd, it was disadvantage if you may care.
I wish that room would be larger some.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 28 December 2009
Dear "sabonroad",

Thank you for your review and for your nice comments about our hotel. You are fully right: only a few suites and rooms had LCD TV screens until now, but I am pleased to inform you that we plan to change the TVs in all our Club Premium rooms and Suite rooms in January - February 2010, so please do not hesitate to book one of these upgraded rooms in your next stay in our hotel. According to our plans, all of our rooms will feature LCD in 2011. We agree this is an added value nowadays, and are looking forward for our guests to enjoying it.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience in this site.

Yours faithfully,