“FANTASTIC STAFF”

Ranked #148 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
birmingham, england
“FANTASTIC STAFF”
Reviewed 28 May 2010

This is a beautiful Hotel made even more wonderful by the fantastic management team. A special thank you goes to the F/O Manager Safi who helped make everything worthwhile. The Hotel is equal in quality to other five star hotels in the main tourist areas but the price (because of its location) is much better. It has a fantastic gym & very nice spa, together with sauna steam room, large swimming pool & Turkish bath. It also has a Prayer room, which was very useful, & there is a small mosque within 100yds of the hotel.
I used the hotel facilities each morning and never got bored. For swimming pool usage a swimming cap must be used (5euros for cap) the location is slightly out the way for tourists visiting the Sultan-Ahmed district, however there is a fantastic tram service outside the hotel, which runs every 5 mins to the main tourist sites. (1.5 lira one-way regardless of distance). There are approx 6 stops before you get to blue mosque. 20mins journey.
I strongly recommend that anyone who wishes to get a feel for Istanbul commute via tram as you get to admire the local areas in and around Sultan –Ahmed District. Besides if you wish to do a spot of shopping the tram stops at several stops and all along the routes there are hundreds of shops selling anything and everything. However a point to note is the tram gets very busy during peak times so be warned.

Our experience of Istanbul was beyond our expectations; our treatment was 5 star and once again thanks to the guys at our hotel. Also a mention about Osman the (bellboy), great lad and very helpful as always. The hotel does provide a map to the main places and just ask the front desk guys and they will help direct you.
We stayed for 7 nights and spent it as follows:
Day1: visited the Blue Mosque (a must see wonder) & Hagi Sofia (also recommended) blue mosque has no entrance fee but Hagia Sofia is 10lira per person. From our hotel its approx 6stops and once you get off at Sultan-Ahmed it’s a further 5mins walk. You can’t miss it as the magnificent buildings tower above the skyline.

Day2: Visited Topkapi Palace (must see wonder) entrance fee is 20lira. The location is towards the right side of Hagia Sofia, it is not well signposted so don’t panic if you cant find it just ask someone. You will need approx 3-4 hrs here; it gets very busy with tourists and bring a good camera. (Just a note you cannot take pics inside the Haram as it holds some sacred Islamic items. For Muslims this place is not to be missed. The surrounding courtyards are an ideal place to have a picnic. The views are fab.

Day3: Bosporus Cruise, get the tram to Eminuno, get off and go under small subway and once out, it’s towards your right side. You wont miss it, as a number of boats are ready waiting to take people on cruises. Don’t take the commercial ferries, as they will only do a short cruise, get a medium sized boat and it costs 10lira for a 1.5hr cruise. We caught a boat which had BOGAZ24.COM splashed across it. The cruise itself is wonderful you get to see many places of interest on the way around, again take a good camera. & Remember to take a jumper as it can get Cold. Also take some food, as there is not much choice on board. Tea sellers are about and a cup is 1lira.

Day4: Eyup: This place is perhaps one of the most wonderful places to visit if you want to chill out, away from the hordes of tourists. Best way to get here is by taxi and the cost from our hotel was 8lira. There is a Mosque called Ayuub Sultan (Companion of Prophet Mohammed). This place is of immense value to Muslims as the grave of Abu Ayuub Ansari is here.
Once done from the mosque take a Teleflex (cable cart) (1.5lira each way) to Pier Loti, where you have amazing views of the Bosporus. You can take a coffee here and just admire the views. You could spend a whole day in Eyup, as there are also many small shops around to keep you busy. Prices here are better than the main Sultan-Ahmed District.

Day5: Princes Islands, there are a series of 5 islands, the largest and most touristy is Buyukada, however we chose to go to Heybeliada. To get here you will need to get a ferryboat from KABATAS. To get to Kabatas a tram will be best as it goes direct. The ferry costs 3lira per person one-way and tickets can be purchased from the station. This island is the 4th island and it is a 2hr ferry ride. You will get an announcement at every stop, however only in Turkish so you have to count the stops yourself. Once you get here you can just relax, take in the magnificent views, go to one of many small shops and just chill. There are no cars on this island so travel is via cycle or horse and carriage. A 40mins tour on horse and carriage will cost 35lira, prices are non negotiable. Or you could hire a bike (not sure of costs). Nevertheless you can spend an entire day here admiring the island.

Day 6: Grand Bazaar, this is a place to go if you are prepared to walk and walk. To get here you can get a tram, which is the 2nd or 3rd stop after blue mosque stop. They call it Grand for a good reason, it has more than 4000 shops, however everyone seems to sell the same thing, which is annoying, and the prices are touristy prices, so no deals here. I wouldn’t recommend taking children, as the walks can be long. Nevertheless a visit to Istanbul isn’t complete without a bazaar tour.

Day 7: Underground Cistarn, built around 532ad it’s no ore than a place, which holds water. It has its history, however I’d stay away from here, as there is nothing to see but columns upon columns. The ticket price is 10lira.
The last day was spent shopping around; we bought some nice souvenirs and spent it walking around the main Sultan-Ahmed area enjoying a picnic. We visited the new mosque at Eminuno, had fish sandwich from one of many fishing boats. (fish is highly recommended).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank muslimbrother

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed here hoping to have a little luxury in Istanbul and were disappointed. The hotel is quite far from the major sites (thought the tram stops outside) and everything was a bit sterile and impersonal. There are far better hotels close to the sites. There was also a wedding on the night we stayed which meant that we listened to extremely loud music for most of the night when trying to get soem sleep for an early flight.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
AGMBarceloEresin, Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 13 May 2010
Dear Joker79London,

I would like thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn about your experience in our hotel through this site.

Despite not being located downtown, as you point out in your review, major tourist sites like the Grand Bazaar, Sultanahmet, the Bosphorus… are reachable in a few minutes by taking the tram which stops in front of the hotel. Another positive aspect of our location is that it is quieter and has a more relaxed atmosphere, very much appreciated by most of our guests when coming back to the hotel after a day full of activity.

It made us both surprised and sad to learn that you had trouble to sleep due to loud music, since there are 2 floors between our ballroom, where the wedding took place, and the first guestroom floor; moreover, and in order to ensure our guests comfort, such events always finish at midnight (12 a.m.) We will find out if anything unusual happened on that day and take immediate action accordingly.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in Barceló Eresin Topkapı and to being able to fulfill all your expectations in your next visit, receive my very best regards from İstanbul,

Juan Miralles
Operation Manager
Dub in Kuwait
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 5 days at the start of April. I thought the hotel was very nice but not exactly 5 star...maybe a great 4 star hotel. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful at all times. The room was very comfortable and the free wifi was excellent.

The hotel is itself is a bit out from the main attractions but there is a tram right outside the door which will bring you right to the heart of the tourist area in about 15-20 mins.

If i was going back to Istanbul i would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 17 April 2010

The Location of the hotel was OK, only 10 minutes on a tram (tramvay) to main historic atractions of Istanbul. Airport is not far away either - it took me 1 hour when I arrived and 45 minutes when I was living (although staff at the hotel told me that it takes only 15 minutes!!!!).
One thing that I think it was very disapointing is that only few staff at supposingly 5* international hotel spoke English. The girl in the shop and the girl at the swimming pool reception spoke very good English and that's about it! I really struggle to explain to the staff what I want so that they understood me. When I arrived, I noticed there is no tooth brush/paste in the room (I am used to 5* hotels where usually tooth brush/paste is provided in the room hence I didn't bring it with me). It was 11pm. When I called the housekeeping and ask for tooth paste then struggle to understand what I am asking for. After 15 minutes someone called me from the kitchen and asked me which spices I ordered!?!?!?!? When I explained that I am looking for tooth paste they just put me through the reception. I explained again and it seems like they understood what I am looking for. Half an hour later nobody came to my room so I called again. Overwall I waited 1 hour for the tooth brush and paste to be delivered.
Toalets are not the best as sometimes it would flush, sometimes you would have to try 5-6 times to get it to flush. As someone else commented they are very stingy with giving out soap and other amedeties in the bathroom. I was given one soop on the first day and it wasn't replaced at all till the end.
I had breakfast every morning in the Picasso restaurant and I though it was great. There were so many different varieties of food which was a plus. They would change the menu daily which I though it was great. However service at the restaurant was very poor. When I was there the hotel was very busy and waiters at the restaurant probably didn't used to the that so they just couldn't cope. They wouldn't clear the tables fast, they never offer me a coffee or tea, I had to chace them for it as well as milk and sugar! Usually milk would be at the table and sugar but becasue it was busy there was nothing there. The same scanario happened every morning for 4 days. Only on the 5th day when the restaurant was quite empty I was given coffee straight away. Again they didn't speak English becasue when I aked for knife (there was none on my table) they didn't know what I am aking for and they had to call the manager.
There is no proper consiarge service which was very negative side. People at the reception spoke so little English that they couldn't really give you any advice even if you ask them. Although I was there on business I wanted to explore Istanbul a little bit and there was no advice or suggestions which was a shame. I had to do reserach by myself and also find my own way to the city centre and beyond.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
AGMBarceloEresin, Juan Miralles, Operations Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Dear LondonSunshine15,

Thank you very much sharing your comments with us and with other travelers, our guests feedback is very valuable for us to improve our service.

We are happy that you liked our location, both close to the city center and to Atatürk Airport. Although the distance is short (around 12 Km), the time consumed in the way to the Airport may vary depending on the traffic situation, which can be often tough in Istanbul given the fact that it is a city of over 14 million inhabitants.

It made us both surprised and sad to learn that your requests could not be easily understood by our staff, particularly for those working at the Front Desk, given that around 80% of our guests are foreigners and therefore cannot speak Turkish. We are a Spanish hotel chain and the Management team of the hotel is not Turkish, so English is the default language we use for all our internal communications. Besides, our FO Manager has been educated in the UK. On the other hand, it is a fact that our staff from other departments such as Housekeeping, who do not have perfect command of the English language, may encounter some trouble to understand our guests specially on the telephone, depending on the accent and the speed while talking, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you also for informing about some technical problems in your bathroom, we have taken immediate action in order to solve them. We also appreciate that you enjoyed our breakfast, and share your opinion that being very busy (as your stay days were) or in a rush, is not an excuse for a lower quality of service to be perceived by our guests. Consistency is a must in the hospitality industry, and we struggle to inculcate this principle to all our associates.

Juan Miralles
Operations Manager
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Chose the hotel "blind" off Lastminute.com secret hotels as it was such exceptional value for money.

Ended up being a great choice - the € 25 transfer from the airport was exceptional value, the location right next the tram stop was excellent for a quick dive into the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar.

Exceptional facilities - great staff.

I did have one piece of feedback which was very minor - and dealt with there and then to eveyone's staisfaction.

So whether as a business or leisure traveller - no hesitation

The leisure facilities were superb

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BruceHunter
Orlando
Reviewed 4 March 2010

Words can not express my splendid trip to Istanbul on my birthday and thanks to Barcelo eresin topkapi I had the best trip ever. Before going to istanbul I did so many research about the area and its hotels. I end up choosing Barcelo and I did the perfect choice. I would like to express a special thanks to Mr Juan Miralles, the operation manager, who once I checked-in I was sent a nice chocolate cake as a gift for my birthday, that was a very nice gesture to start my vacation with. Most of the reception desk team are very friendly and yes they do speak descent english, you just have to be patient as they will do their best to listen to your request, respond back and accomodate you. remember you're not in the U.S so when people speak to you in english that's a plus. I did call many times for extra blankets and keys and they were delivered in no time. the hotel is more likely a 4 star to the US standards. Yet, the ameneties are just amazing, they have indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steaming room and Turkish Hammam, what else can you ask for. some people were complaining the hotel si too far. my answer is if you want to be in taksim or beyoglu area then good luck with that. first those areas are way too noisy, second most of taksim hotels dont have half of the amenities that barcelo has, if yes they charge you triple what barcelo does. Barcelo is located at topkapi area, very safe and quiet, 2 minutes away from the tramway...I dont think I ever spent more that 5 minutes wait time and it cost a 1.50 lira which is about a dollar, it will take you to sultanahmet 10 min taksim 20 min and it is a lovely ride as you get to see the whole city and experience it with locals. There is also a supemarket 2 minutes away where you can get water and juices cheap. just make sure you buy a swimming cap in advance as you will need that for the swimming pool. again thanks Mr Juan Mirales and the whole barcelo team for making my trip a memorable one and I will definitely book Barcelo again on my next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, 6 March 2010
Dear Youssef-orlando,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Recognition from our guests is like an injection of energy and motivation for the whole team, and it supports our belief that small details can make the difference. Therefore it will be a great pleasure to share your nice comments with them.

I would like to thank you also on behalf of Mr. Miralles and the Front Office team, both mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel the next time you come to Istanbul.

Best regards,

María Gutiérrez
Assistant General Manager
Distrito Federal
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed here during our 5 days visit to Istambul and had the best experience in such a different country for us mexicans.
All the people at the hotel were so friendly, helpful with information and suggestions. Explaining and giving advice of what to do and the best way of doing it. Specially Mr. Mithat Unaldi at the front desk was so nice, and as he also speaks spanish, helped us a lot to make our vacations so special and unique.
The food at the restaurant was so good and the internet always available.
Very close to a tram station.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple