Wyndham Istanbul Old City Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$462
Movenpick.com
Midtown Hotel(Istanbul)
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Dersaadet Hotel Istanbul(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$121
Travelocity
US$191
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
WOW Airport Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$62
All reviewsold citygrand bazaarbreakfast buffettram and metroexcellent locationreception staffnice roomsteam roomguest relationsbeautiful hotelcentral locationturkeystandard roomspecial thanksenjoyed my stayhagia sophiablue mosque
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The lobby of this hotel was truly stunning with enormous ceilings and a light and airy atmosphere.
We stayed here as part of our Voyages Jules Verne holiday and the location is excellent as it's within walking distance of the Grand Bazaar and the Blue Mosque.
The rooms were fine and clean.
Although very pleased with this hotel, the breakfast service let it down. The choices were good, trying to get coffee or green tea from the waiting staff was difficult and we had to ask 3 times one morning! We discovered that if you ask the chef you can have eggs but this wasn't advertised or obvious!
Despite this, I would still recommend that hotel and the VJV "From Istanbul to Ephesus" holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Elizabeth K
Sevda K, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Istanbul Old City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Elizabeth K,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and leaving such a nice feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that we liked our property and location and you enjoyed every moment with us in Istanbul. In additon, thank you very much for your comments regarding breakfast. I assure you that we will take necessary action as soon as possible.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Wyndham Istanbul Old City again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Unfortunately, I can not say much good about this hotel except for the concierge and certain staff members were helpful. This is not a 5 star hotel, 3 stars at best.

I am an American Express Platinum member and avid world traveler. Check in was chaotic. Working multiple check-ins at the same time, there was mass confusion and no focus on the current task. Initial room was on the very top of the 4th floor. They considered this the penthouse. It was so tiny and cluttered, I felt claustrophobic. The electric and AC was intermittent. I requested a room change and did get a better room on the first floor facing the street; however, be prepared to be woken for early prayer calls(3:48am). The AC stopped working in the middle of the night, the day before checkout and did not sleep very well.

Came in as a single walk-in; agreed on a nightly rate of $115 after showing the agent the $112 USD rate from Kayak. At checkout realized I was charged 115 EU($155USD). This made no sense as I had shown the internet price and my passport is USA. At this point I had given up arguing with the front desk and just wanted to leave. I will let Amex deal with the dispute.

This was a disappointment to my first experience in Istanbul and would not recommend. I wish I had read the other similar reviews on Trip Advisor. Choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CousinAbe
GM-GR_WyndhamOldCity, General Manager at Wyndham Istanbul Old City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your visit and having the time to leave a feedback

It is most unfortunate to hear we could not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads to take necessary actions. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

We do hope to have a chance to welcome you back and make you remember us much better feelings.

Murat Köni

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful from the outside. Looks like an old house, a fashionable one... But... If you like some modern stuff like wireless internet connection in your room, you must prepare yourself to pay for it! Unbelievable in a 5 stars hotel! So not so modern as it appears to be... I was disappointed by this aspect. Also if you are a couple and need or use to take a shower everyday you better take your cleaning gel with you from home! Yes, that's right, you read me well! There is not enough of it for two. So, again I think it's quite a shame for this to happen in a 5 stars hotel. In general I'm sorry but I wouldn't go back.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank mtrevas

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you liked our property. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. It is our goal to consistently provide world class service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future as we continue to try to improve and update our property.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights following our Mediterranean Cruise in June 2014.

This hotel used to be called the Crowne Plaza Istanbul Old City. When we booked it, we were told to expect upgrades and free Wifi internet (because we were IHG Gold Elite members). Unfortunately, after we have made our booking, the hotel changed its name and also its Rewards program to Wyndham hotels. We were unsure as to whether our booking with IHG Crowne Plaza was still going to be honored. So, we tried, on multiple times, to contact the hotel by email but did not receive any response from the hotel. Finally, in desperation, we contacted Wyndham Rewards directly and Wyndham Rewards told us to contact the hotel ourselves again one more time. FINALLY, after that last effort, the hotel replied by email that our "old" reservation was still valid.

We arrived at approximately 4pm but we were told that our room was still "not ready". However, the reception staff found an upgraded room and offered it to us instead. The room is situated in Block 4 which faces away from the mosque. This was good, because we did not get woken up by the muezzin's "call to prayer" early every morning. However, this was a smoking room and we could smell stale cigarette smoke in the room and also on the bed sheets. However, we did not bother to complain because we have been "upgraded".

We went for breakfast on our first morning at the hotel.
Breakfast was chaotic. There were insufficient staff. It was extremely difficult to get any refills for our coffee. Many guests (including ourselves) had to walk around with our cups in hand, to look for a waitress for our coffee!! I agree with the many other reviews which says that the breakfast is not a good experience. It was also relatively costly at 45 Lira a person. We did not bother with eating breakfast at the hotel for the rest of our stay.

The hotel has a good location, close to all the tourist sites of Istanbul. The Aksaray and Laleli tam stops are within walking distance. We bought an Istanbulkart and used it extensively for travelling and site seeing in Istanbul.

The lobby is elegant and ornate. However, it has too many steps and not enough ramps for luggage. Sometimes there are no staff in the lobby to help with the luggage and it is difficult to manage with luggage because of all the steps.

Overall, the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrequentTravelAussie

Dear FrequentTravelAussie,

Thank you very much for staying with us and leaving a feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is so good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Besides, we value each feedback of our valuable guests and take them very seriously to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring the breakfast matter to our attention and apoligize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I will be sharing your comments with the concerned departments and I assure you that we will take necessary acitons as soon as possible.

Once more I would like to thank you very much for choosing us for your recent stay and comments about it. We are looking forward to hosting you at our property soon again!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for two nights at the end of tour of ancient sites in Turkey. This is a very impressive hotel in the heart of Istanbul. Beautifully modern but a bit soulless could have been anywhere. Impeccably trained staff but not very friendly. Rooms small but well appointed everything you need. Breakfast a bit chaotic, never seemed to be enough staff to seat people and clear tables. Location great for seeing all the main sights of a Istanbul consequently very noisey but you can't have everything.
Would I stay again probably but there is a lot of choice in Istanbul and this Hotel doesn't have anything unique to recommend it. But still a perfectly good high end hotel

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor away from the street noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Moggiemo50,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your recent visit.

We are happy to serve you during your stay with us and learn that you liked our property and location. As you mentioned, our location is so closed to historical places that our guest can reach there by walk. Also, being on the tram route provides a great convenience for our guests.

Let me thank you again for your recent stay and sharing your reviews with us. It was a pleasure for us to welcome you and we hope to serve you in the very future again!

Kindest Regards,