“Spotless but missing that special something”

Atakoy Marina Hotel
Ranked #941 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed for four nights in sept 2013 for a work trip. Staff were friendly enough, service was also pretty good and food was ok, but for a trip where every food experience was amazing, the hotel food was 4/5. Still better than most equivalent uk hotels though! Marks lost for air con which refused to work properly (i had to open a window each night, in gales), curtains which failed to shut out marina lights, a wake-up call system which didn't work properly and a swimming pool that had limited opening hours, plus only two or three english tv channels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in the new part, next to the marina as they were overbooked
When I came in to the suite, I thought this was the most luxurious hotel I ever stayed at.
However, things went downhill very quickly.
From being promised over 500 channels, only 20 worked and they were all in Turkish.
The blinds didn't cover the windows 100% so street light came right in my face when I tried to go to sleep and when I closed the shower door, I got the handle in my hand.
As I had an early departure, I tried to check out at 6 AM, they only had a security guard at the desk as you needed to go over 300 meter to the other hotel to check out.(which no-one told me when I checked in)
There were a small problem with the guard. He only spoke Turkish and when he finally understood that I was trying check out, he called the marina. They asked on what boat I stayed on but I told them that I was trying to check out from the hotel. Sadly the just hang up on me

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I spent 22 days in this hotel in June 2013 on a work trip. I was quite apprehensive about staying here after reading most of the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel though dated, is neat, clean and spacious. It is quite suitable for a family as the rooms are really spacious and airy.
In real estate terms when they say it's all about the location, this hotel fits the bill. Situated at the Atakoy Marina, this hotel is home to spectacular views where the swish set of Istanbul come to let their hair down. Possibly the only hotel with spacious balconies, it gives you the feel of a resort. The twice daily shuttles to SultanAhmet, Taxim and the Airport take care of your commuting requirements quite nicely. It is an approximately 30TL ride to the city by cab. The drive to the city centre is by the sea and very scenic. There are bus stops at the Galleria Mall nearby. The hotel is not close to any train line.
Food at the hotel is ok, and the breakfast outdoors is excellent. The Restaurant Manager Davut Sel goes out of his way to accommodate requests and requirements. The number of eateries around the hotel premises is good enough to satisfy any palette.
The property shares an excellent pool and spa facility with the adjacent Sheraton.
The two Zeynaps at the Reception are hospitable.
I'm not sure why the Management is not refurbishing the property even after so many adverse reviews about the shabbiness but it needs a makeover urgently. Over the weekend, the noise from the partying and traffic in the adjacent Marina can be annoying.
I rate this overall package quite high.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed for a week with my husband to attend a wedding there.
It has such bad reviews I was on the verge of cancelling at one time.however we went with it and as the cab arrived from the airport and we got out it looked a bit tired.However the bedroom was huge and very clean,the bed and pillows were very comfy and the chamber maids changed the beds every day.
Whilst it is very 70s and dated,it is also clean, and to be honest, for the money I paid, that's all I am worried about. Great position for restaurants and luxury harbour but a bit off the beaten track if you want the bazaars and monuments. We used the pool and facilities at the Sheraton, which you walk to through the gardens. Would I stay there again? Probable not, but I'd stay next door at the Sheraton. However, don't let the reviews put you off. if you want a cheap hotel close to the airport with a clean room.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kate m
Reviewed 13 July 2013

It was a short Stay there and we did felt good in this Hotel. It was not far away from the international Airport and the Transfer was made fast and friendly. Although we have been there only 2 Nights, we say, that it was all very friendly and totally clean there. During our Stay, we went two times there for Breakfast, wich was nice decorated and all fresh. Good Coffee there!!! Very nice view to the Sea!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BEACHSUN1961
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed there just for a day, It is 10 minutes to the airtport by taxi, 5 minutes to the sea transportation (just goes to Kadıköy) other than that the transportation to any other location could be hard for a tourist.
It is a nice clean well decorated room that I stayed.
Breakfast is included in the price.
Other than that it is next to bunch of nice restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ickis_t
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed here because we had an early morning flight. It was relatively close to Ataturk airport and was less expensive than other airport hotels. It is about half way between the airport and the old city. The check in staff was extremely helpful giving us directions back into Istanbul for some last time shopping. We took a taxi to the metro (14TL) and then the metro to the Grand Bazaar (3TL). It took about an hour. The Atakoy is a large hotel and has a great view of the marina. The furnishing could use some updates but it is clean. There is a shuttle to the airport but it does not start running until about 7 AM. Taxi to airport costs about 30TL. There is a breakfast included if you pay more in your room rate. We were leaving before it was served so we did not include it in our rate. Alcohol is extremely expensive at the hotel.

There is a whole string of restaurants within a very short walk. The restaurants serve a lot of American food which we were excited to have after two weeks of Turkish food. We ate at SanSenDo. We had hamburgers and they were delicious. The food was a little expensive and alcohol was a little more expensive than other places in Turkey. These restaurants seem to be very popular with the locals and all the restaurants were very busy.

Room Tip: The restaurants stay open late and are noisy (at least on a Friday night). We were in block 4 of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends