“A Gem of a Hotel”

Ranked #139 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Woking, United Kingdom
“A Gem of a Hotel”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My wife and I went to Istanbul on 19th May 2012. We chose this small cosy hotel for it's location in Sultanahmet, the heart of The Old Town. By communicating with Erhan Cetin, the manager we were able to negotiated a great price and he kindly upgraded us to the junior suite with jacuzzi and balcony overlooking the Sea of Marmara and the entrance to The Bosphorus and Golden Horn. We were warmly greeted by all the staff, immediately offered a drink and made most welcome. The hotel is as described, very clean and interesting. The breakfast is wonderful with great choice. Even though we arrived well after the restaurant was closed, the hotel rustled up a dinner. By staying in this old very Turkish part of this fascinating city, we were within walking distance of all the best tourist sites. The excellent tram system that serves the central area is close by. We could find no fault with the hotel, only praise. Feta and Tarik, the assistant managers were so helpful as were all staff, no service was too small or too much for them and I thank them all. When we return to Istanbul, we will return to this charming place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick567234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2012

From the staff to the decor to the breakfast..it was a perfect experience. My suite was huge and romantic, with velvet drapes round the circular bed, an enormous jetted bath, and a seperate marble shower, toilet room, and private hamam room. Upon arrival, the staff was all about service, offering refreshments and assistance with anything that would make my trip better. When I entered the suite, I was met with complimentary wine, fresh fruit basket and a dried fruit and nut tray which I enjoyed over a couple days. The breakfast was excellent, and it differed every day, and had so many choices each day I couldnt possibly taste it all. Every single time I walked through the lobby I was offered tea or sweets. The location is prime, and the sense of luxury was well woth the price tag.

Room Tip: There is only one suite with a private hamam (turkish bath steam room) so if you are eager to try th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Sydney
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our month in Turkey and found it perfect for our needs. The location was great - we walked everywhere. The Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia and Topkapi Palace all within easy reach. All recommendations that the staff gave us (Turkish bath, restaurants) were very good and the staff were always friendly and helpful. The room (and ours was just a standard room) was very comfortable, a good size and nicely decorated. Kettle, safe, good hanging space, good toiletries, great bed. But the best thing was the breakfast - a wonderful selection of all sorts of tasty delights.

1 Thank CandTSydney
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We had a really nice room with a jacuzzi and a balcony with seaview. Beds are comfy. Upon arrival we had a free beer and the reception guy gave us good tips for restaurants and bars and helped us to make reservations. All staff were really nice and helpful. The hotel is very cozy and close to sights as the Blue mosque. The only thing that doesn´t make this a 5star is the breakfast. It´s mostly meze and sweets and not som much bread/youghurt/cereals as I´m used to. Theres no natural juices, only concentrates.

1 Thank Annaistockholm
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I were very glad with this hotel. The hotel is clean, in the perfect place - 5 minutes walking to the Blue Mosque - the breakfast is good, the room is fine. But above all: the people are so nice and helpfull. The give you advice, the help you where possible and they do all kind of the extra things (like washing the strawberry's I bought myself and serve this complete with sugar - with a smile and without costs).
For a nice stay: choose this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonenbarbara
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Lovely little hotel in the center of everything. No need to work with any tour agencies, as you are within walking distance to everything. The grounds are beautiful and the staff is absolutely wonderful. Only issue we had was that the first night of three, we were put in a basement room with a view of a dirty wall and a puddle of muddy water. We were asked to be moved, but they were full and made sure we had a nicer room the next two nights with a better bathroom, as well. Still a view of a wall, but it was on the second floor so there was a peep view of the sky. Lovely hotel, though, and would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the courtyard on a high floor. They also have a lovely suite with a t...
Holmdel, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Staying at Sokullupasa Hotel was an amazing experience! As we approached the hotel, I felt a little uncomfortable because the street is very narrow and the neighborhood is very old. However, that's the way the whole Old City is. As soon as I walked into the hotel lobby, I was greeted by this wonderful young man called Fettah. He is the best host I ever encountered in a hotel, a gentleman, a great professional, polite, speaks perfect English, brilliant. After the brief check-in, we sat down and he told me about all the places I could visit in the City. Fettah, Tariq, and Acelia were wonderful hosts! They make you feel at home and greet you every day with a beautiful smile. The best thing about this wonderful hotel is the staff. They go out of their way to do things for you.

The hotel has been remodeled and the decoration is in the Ottoman style. The rooms are just the right size, extremely clean, and comfortable. The mattress was very comfortable and the bed linens and towels are extremely clean and soft. The bathroom has a shower that makes you want to stay there forever. The toiletries are also excellent. The air conditioning worked perfectly.

The hotel offers a delicious Mediterranean breakfast in a lovely restaurant that faces an also lovely courtyard. Breakfast includes a variety of cereals, dried fruits, cheeses, breads, juices, vegetables, honey, pastries, eggs, sausages, and Turkish dishes.

There is an elevator that serves all floors and the restaurant, for those who cannot take the stairs. There is no business center in the hotel, but they have iPads for the guests to use and the internet service is excellent. Also, there is no gym, but you actually do not need one after walking all day in this magic city.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes from all the main attractions in the Old City in a residential neighborhood where most houses are being converted to boutique hotels. However, if you cannot walk uphill on cobblestone streets you should not stay there (But I would stay there and take a cab).

This is the most wonderful hotel I stayed in so far! Not even the five stars hotels I have been to compare to the wonderful service of Sokullu Pasa!
Congratulations Ehran, Fettah, Acelia, and Tariq! I will go back with my husband and daughters!
Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 301 that has a beautiful view of the Marmara Sea.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends