“Would not recommend this hotel”

GLK PREMIER Acropol Suites & Spa
Ranked #44 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My fiancee' and I chose 5 nights at the Acropol for it's location and the beautiful pictures of the rooms on the website. What a mistake!!! When we arrived in Istanbul, the car that I ordered and reconfirmed with the hotel the day before did not show up at the airport so we just hopped a taxi after waiting for 30 minutes. Our room #503 was nothing like any of the pictures in fact, it was insulting to see a video playing in the restaurant showing nice rooms when ours was such a dump! The room being on the top floor did have a great view of the Blue Mosque which was it's only redeeming quality. The 2 dirty and disgusting turkish carpets made it mandatory to use the provided slippers when walking around without shoes. The 6'6" cielings made you feel like you were in an attic and not a "Junior Suite". Everything in the room was old except the flat screen TV which was in the worst possible location in the room and not viewable from the bed or the chairs. When leaving the room in the morning or arriving late in the evening, you could hear the person in the next room snoring or talking like there wasn't even a door on the room. The bathroom was ridiculously small (even by Historic District standards) with a jacuzzi bathtub that was so elevated, you really needed a step stool to get in safely (there wasn't one). The bathtub was completely surrounded by mold in the caulking and was totally disgusting. The bathroom amenities were what you would expect for a $49.00 night room, not what one would expect for $370.00 per night and they were not replaced when needed! There was no turn down service or other amenities such as chocolate or turkish candy that was offered in the other Istanbul Hotel we stayed at. Having lost a shoe, I looked under the bed to find 1/2 inch of dust (no exaggeration) which explained why I woke up with stuffed up sinuses. The staff were pleasant but definitely nothing special. It was not unusual to see the same people who worked breakfast at 7:30 am working at 10:30 pm. and looking tired and haggard by day's end. As for the food, the restaurant was adequate but nothing special and the "complimentary breakfast" was average at best with a few nice pastries, crepes and cakes. In summary, the location is fantastic but there are literally hundreds of hotels within 3 blocks so you can do much better than this. We also stayed at the Seraglio for 2 nights which is just a block away and had a beautiful room, better breakfast and friendlier staff for 1/3 the price!!!

2  Thank Alan F
acropol_suites, Manager at GLK PREMIER Acropol Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

Dear Tripadvisor visitors,
First of all, I thank you to the gentleman to share his review with us.
I was disappointed to read his feedback and that the room we allocated him did not meet his expectations.We would like you to know that the gentleman did not complain anything during his stay and did not give us any chance to make him satisfied.
It is very strange to me that they extend their stay one more night in the same room however they did complain in the review.
We take good care of the transfer requests and it is not correct that we did not arranged the transfer as it is written in the review, the transfer car was there on time, we only did not informed by the guest that the plane is delayed 5 hours.
We made a room upgrade for them, free of charge, due to avalibity from original booking to Executive Suite as this room has balcony at the top floor and with the view of Hagia Sophia and Blue mosque for their special occasion.
The room that the guest stayed has very good reviews from the other travelers at tripadvisor. I was most concerned to read that he found us over-priced Whilst I know that price is a very subjective issue, We do regularly check our room rates against other comparable properties to ensure that we reflect the right level of tariff.The rates are changing up to season and availability.
We do not have carpets at the rooms except the terrace rooms, cause there are balconies at this floor and guest may forget the close the balcony doors and the parquet get damage easily from the rain.
We set up the Tv on the left side wall, not to close the beautiful view of Hagia Sophia.We made a full renovation at the hotel and there is sound isolation from outside and inside at the walls and installed double glazed windows.
There is daily housekeeping in the hotel and we replace all the amenities everyday.We had a Best Western Premier assetment about the quality and standarts at the hotel when the hotel finished the renovation,Me and the team proud to say that we had full 1000 score in May 2011.We are very disapointed the words about the staff that we have very good coments from the other travelers in the other reviews.
We are all working tirelessly to make sure our guests enjoy their stay and satisfiy the service and standarts.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We arrived at the hotel later than we had expected. We were given a very small room next to the lobby. The young man who booked us in could see that we were disappointed and said that we could ask for another room in the morning, as the Hotel was full. I had booked the hotel several months before, through Expedia, so I was very disappointed that one of our 4 nights was to be spent in this room, looking out at a wall, when I had paid for this booking, in full, several months in advance.
Next morning we asked for another room. The desk staff were charming and offered to move our luggage into our room whilst we were out. We were given a much larger room on the third floor. We had a lovely view of the Aya Sophia Mosque. The room was very comfortable and Topkapi was only a 10 minute walk away.As it is sooclose to the Mosques, we were woken by the Call to Prayer every morning. We thought this was great- much better than an alarm clock!

We were up and out early most mornings and so breakfast was a quiet affair. On our last morning, we went down after 9 and breakfast was hectic. There was one girl serving, most of the tables were full, and the meats and most other choices had run out. In addition, the toaster had broken, so toast was not an option.These were eventually replaced, but the poor girl was run off her feet.

We enjoyed our stay here. Would recommend to other travellers., if given a room on the second floor or above.I would book this hotel again if we return to Istanbul. However, this is more of a good 3 or 4 star hotel, than the 5 stars Best Western claims.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd Floor or above
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that you found our location worked so well for you. We never tire of telling our guests about the many great facilities and things to do very close to where we are located.
We pride ourselves on always trying to anticipate guests needs and I am so happy that we met your expectations. I have passed your comments on to the team and I do hope you came back to stay with us once again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

A lovely hotel in a fabulous location
Very clean and our room had a great balcony overlooking the blue mosque and aya sophia
Ozhan the manager, pinar the receptionist were awesome
The exceptional service we received was from Sergio and ilhan. They worked such long hours, but always smiled and were so gracious and hospitable. I cannot find words to describle how nice they were.
Also Sergio made me the best cappuccino everday
The best location in istanbul

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Der Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I was delighted to read your great feedback regarding your stay with us. We always try our very best to make guests welcome and comfortable during their stay with us. I have already passed on your kind comments on to Pınar, Sevgi and Ilhan and the rest of the team.We hope to welcome you again at Best Western Premier Acropol Suites & Spa

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I went to Istanbul from Cape Town, South Africa. We wanted to stay in Sultanahmet even though we had read on Trip Advisor that we would be hassled by carpet salesmen and conned by taxi drivers! Well we were never hassled or conned. Turkish people are wonderfully hospitable, hard working and polite. The hotel manager at Acropol was a perfect example of this
We arrived in Istanbul at 6am after an overnight flight and were met at the airport by the hotel driver. When we booked on the Best Western web site we selected to pay for this service as we knew we would be tired after all night on the plane. The drive to the hotel took about 20 minutes.
When we checked in, we were offered a complimentary breakfast and the use of the shower and spa to freshen up before our day of exploring. Our room was not available so early, but our bags were stored safely and we went off to explore
When we got back to the hotel about 2pm, our room was ready and we had been upgraded to a family suite. Our suite was beautifully furnished with a polished wood floor, high quality furniture and a comfortable bed. The room overlooked the old street of Sultanahmet and it was lovely to watch daily life go on below us.
The hotel is small - about 24 suites in all I think. All rooms are now suites after a recent renovation of the hotel. Our booking included breakfast every day - a European/ continental style buffet with fruit and cold meats and you could order eggs any way you liked them. We ate outside on the wrap around balcony and watched the street wake up - no one hassled you at the table
The staff was most pleasant and helpful. They were very knowledgeable of the area and the transport systems and were able to tell us how to get where we wanted to go.
Location wise we were a 5-8 minute walk from Sultanahmet Square where you catch the trams to other areas of Istanbul. We were about -7 minutes from the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque and maybe 12 minutes from the wonderful Topkapi palace. We wanted to stay in Sultanahmet as we figured on our first day in Istanbul after the flight we could wander round and see the Basilica Cistern and explore the old streets but be close enough to walk back to our hotel if we were tired.
On our third morning I saw there were no "Simits" on the buffet - like a pretzel made from soft bread with sesame seeds - they are sold on the streets and I thought they were delicious. I mentioned it to the waiter who said "I will buy for you" and 5 minutes later he arrived back at our table with a bag of fresh simits - great service
After we left the hotel and went on to Venice, I noticed I had left a face cream at the Acropol Hotel. I emailed the manager who replied that they had found my cream and were happy to forward it on for me - great service again.
I would highly recommend this hotel for location, service, beautiful rooms and fair value

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
acropol_suites, Manager at GLK PREMIER Acropol Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2011

Dear Guest, I was very pleased to read your recent review and that we exceeded your expectations in every way. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay experience and found the service and facilities in the hotel to the highest standard. I have passed on your feedback to the whole team here at the hotel who I am very proud of for consistently providing the best service.

I hope that you will come and stay in our hotel again

Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. Fantastic location, wonderful ambience day and night. Close to all the important sites and city centre. Room (junior suite) and bathroom were very comfortable. Service and staff are excellent. Special mention must be made of staff member Ilhan who went out of his way to offer us excellent service. Our stay in this hotel just made our stay in Instanbul perfect.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest ,Thank you very much for your kind review of Best Western Premier Acropol Suites & Spa. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your feedback to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed here and at the #1 rated Amira for 4 days each in August with our family of four. I have to say, I enjoyed this hotel as much if not more than the Amira. The location is arguably better (closer to everything), the views from top floors are unbeatable, and the rooms and particulary the bathrooms were exceptional. I have to say I was not sure I would like it since I am a light sleeper and this is smack dab in the middle of the most happening part of town, but wow, the rooms are quiet and comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite which is great for a family of four. It included a deck with a view from the Blue Mosque to the Hagia Sofia. Stunning at night.

The price was great. Breakfast is good, not exceptional (here the Amira wins). The best casual restaraunts in Istanbul are across the street and arond the corner (the Aloran and the Albura Kathisma). The Turkish spa downstairs is actually a very nice touch.

If you want a great value centrally located, this would be my choice. Certainly better than the ranking would let on.

Room Tip: Request a top floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dera Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Best Western Premier Acropol Suites & Spa .We also thank you for your thoughts about the TA ratings about our hotel. I have passed on your kind words on to the team here and I look forward to Welcome you again in our hotel

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Spent 2 nights here, were upgraded to Executive Suite (501) which had a fabulous view. Really started off the trip in the right way. Staff was very nice--helpful when my husband left his sunglasses in a taxi as we were leaving the hotel. Breakfast was just ok--this was the only slight disappointment. Also the hotel restaurant was not quite as good as the restaurant across the street Alburaka. But we would definitely recommend the Acropol as an excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: definitely worth the extra money for the larger rooms on the top floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest , We ,thank you for your very kind review about your recent stay with us.
Your review is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon
We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Best Western Premeir Acropol Suites & Spa on your next visit to Istanbul !

Ozhan OZLU,