“Very good hotel”

Best Western Antea Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #250 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed this hotel first week of augost and hotel was very clean and center of old city also all staff was helpfull for us..Hope next year i will stay this hotel..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Reşat S

Reviewed 15 August 2011

To be honest, I chose this hotel for my business trip that was supposed to be as close to my counterparts in Istanbul as possible. The price was fine, the location was just perfect to have meetings with my Turkish fellas just across-the-street. After we had a bunch of meetings my evening walk made me realize that I can't just ignore this opportunity to enjoy sites offered by the hotel -- the view on Marmara Sea, quiet neighborhood and ancient Sofiya Mosque became highlights of my trip, apart from business of course.

With my business projects, I'm planning to visit Istanbul very often in the nearest future. They say the Fall is beautiful and warm and nice in here. For that, I'll be bringning my family later this year for sure.

Thanks to the managers and staff of the hotel -- felt like home. Tesekkur :)

Room Tip: Check out my photographs. If you like them, you will like any.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Very clean rooms, but small. Taxi drivers have to ask locals a couple of times to find the hotel. Breakfast is modest. The hotel is very new and the owner cares about it and has plans to improve. Staff is polite and eager to help. When you sit on a terrace you can enjoy the sea view 4-5 blocks ahead ( and there's a railroad btwn you and the sea, however it is to be said that this railroad isn't something that you'll hear at night)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This was the last significant stop on a very long trip. I already had booked a room at another hotel but decided upon arrival that I wanted to splurge and pay more for features that we had forgone in the other cities we had already visited. Thankfully, Ataturk had free WiFi and after collecting our luggage I began searching. After about 30 minutes with one of the on-site travel agents being unable to find what I wanted (at a place he would get a commission, that is) I found Antea Palace on-line, checked availability and booked. We jumped in a taxi and went directly there. The bell service was prompt and the gentleman at reception (he let me call him Richard since after Italy and Greece my pronunciation skills had been drained) was very welcoming and surprised at how little time had elapsed between his receiving my booking and our arrival. He treated us to very powerful Turkish coffee and made available to us a room to my specification "with a balcony." The decor is lavish and the bellman gave us a tour of the spa area, fitness room, Turkish bath area, rooftop terrace, etc. The staff were very patient and accommodating to say the least. The room was beautiful and the balcony was the best of the trip (I also had balconies in Naples and Athens). The maid service was a bit inconsistent (one day the comforter was folded and on the floor instead of the bed, and the "complimentary 1 liter of drinking water" added to the refrigerator was omitted a couple of days) but nothing that required mentioning to reception as we are not high maintenance people.
I was very impressed by the waiter and bartender, Yusuf. He was extremely helpful, intelligent, and informative. One example, was while serving my son (14) and I dinner one night we asked about going to the beach on the Prince's Islands and he recommended Kinaliada. It was lovely and I was very grateful. As a businesswoman in DC working for a global entity I am always interested in talking with locals when I travel. I much prefer it to speaking with other tourists, in fact. Yusuf was consistently gracious in responding to my questions thoughtfully and I appreciated it immensely. In fact, very soon after checking in I went down to the bar eager to try a Turkish drink and found items like "Sex on the Beach", etc. on the drink menu. I looked up and said, "These are not very Turkish. Is there a drink that is specifically Turkish?" He said Raki and I told him that I would give it a try. Wow, Raki has a pleasing smell but the taste must be acquired (like Retsina in Greece I only needed one glass). When I brought down my glass and asked if Turkey makes wine he asked how I liked the Raki and I had to be honest and say that I wouldn't need to try any more but was glad that I had tried it. He then told me that it is considered a "man's" drink since it is strong and that women typically do not partake. On another note, although a mother traveling in Turkey with her son is an oddity (as I found out when not inside Antea Palace Hotel) Yusuf did not seem to blink an eye about it and remained professional and refrained from giving my son and I "the look of wonder/curiosity" that I did get from some of the other hotel staff and throughout the city. If Best Western International offers training or exchange programs for exceptional staff I highly recommend Yusuf.
I also highly endorse Antea Palace. As someone who has lived and worked in the Far East, South America and North America in my opinion, this hotel should satisfy anyone.

p.s. Aya Sophia and the Blue Mosque are stunning and Istanbul is enchanting. Even after just having seen Venice, San Marco Basilica, going to the beach at the Adriatic Sea on Lido, Murano, being in Venice for Redentore, Rome (Coliseum, Forum, Vatican Raphael Rooms, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters, Pantheon, Galleria Borghese, Capitoline Museum, Rome's fountains & Piazzas), climbing Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii, going to the beach on Ischia, Athens, Acropolis, New Acropolis Museum, Parthenon, Delphi, Temple of Poseidon, going to Voula beach, Tower of the Winds, etc. I was not expecting to be amazed after everything else we had already experienced on this trip. My son and I were amazed.

Room Tip: Don't be surly. Sure travel days are exhausting but it's not the hotel staffs fault. Be gr...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SeatOfMyPntsTravelr
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Me and my wife visited this hotel in April 2011 and we stayed very glad about this hotel. It is situated in very quiet and comfortable place in 10 minutes from Blue Mask and St. Sofia. We had a room with a sea view. Hotel is decorated in classic style and we were satisfied with classic music which was playing there all the time. It was very pleasant to relax in swimming pool, sauna, hamam and to have nice relaxing massage after daily walks and excursions. For breakfast we had a lot of different and tasty meals.
We'd like to notice polite and welcomed personnel. Also we'd like to thank manager of hotel. In August we plan to visit this hotel again with our friends. We advise to everybody to do the same.
Andrei, Victoria from Kiev (Ukraine).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chyzhov_family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at Best Western Antea Palace in July, 2011. Excellent location - very quiet street, easy walk to the main tourist sites. The hotel and rooms are done in an opulent style - lots of gilt, gold plate, mirrors, and our 9 year old daughter loved it. As importantly - you can walk to the ocean front at night and stroll, see the families having evening picnics, play in the exercise park. You can also walk to the Kumbapi train station, see the fish market and fish restaurants frequented by locals and not tourists. Excellent buffet breakfast is included in most packages - eggs, fruit, meat and cheese, yogurt, cereal, breads. The world's smallest pool (open until 6 pm for free; after that, must pay) was good for cooling down after walking around Istanbul. We thought it was good value.

Room Tip: The family rooms are quite large - the regular double and single rooms quite small.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Canadian135
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We felt like royals from first sekond we arrived. The staff are very professionel and this high quality of service in every way, made us an magnificent holiday. The terasse with the great wiew in the eveningtime, maked us relaxed. To find a hotel with an indoor pool in Istanbul is very hard to find, but here we found it and loved it. The placement of this hotel is perfect. You can walk to all the most important sightseeings in a few minutes. Be sure we will be back again, soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple