“I would not stay at this hotel again” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
BEST WESTERN Antea Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #248 of 1,114 Hotels in Istanbul
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“I would not stay at this hotel again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

The hotel is situated in a run down area of the Sultanahmet roughly a 10 minute walk (up a steep hill) to the Sultanahmet. The room service was Ok, however my daughter found an old pillow case in her bed and on another occasion found some black hairs on her sheets. On one of the days we found our beds had not been properly made up, with the covers left in a heap on one of the chairs. Coffee and tea was seldom topped up. All bottled water is supposed to be complimentary as the water in the hotel is undrinkable. However, water was not put in our room everyday and empty bottles were frequently not cleared away by the hotel staff. When we were checking out of the hotel, the hotel manager/receptionist tried to charge us for water. They also tried to charge us 40 euros for using the postage sized swimming pool for one hour.On their web site it states clearly that hotel guest can use the facilities free of charge at anytime throughout your stay. When I objected, Ramsat, one of the management receptionists was extremely unpleasant. The fee was eventually dropped from our bill . At over a hundred pounds a night I expected better service and treatment at this hotel, especially since it is a Best Western. I would not stay in this hotel again. It is not value for money and some of the management staff do not treat guests with respect.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amberjoe123
AnteaPalace, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antea Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Dear Our Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Besides this,we need to defend in some points that its not completely true.First, our hotel is very new,opened from march and we have no old pillow case or sheets and we change them everyday during your stay.
We offer one big bottle of water everyday,but of course the small water you drunk from the minibar is not included,however we even did not charge for it too.
Regarding to SPA use, despite of all hotels around charge Turkish bath and sauna we offer for free untill 18.00 pm and we inform our guests at the check-in about the hours just like we informed you,40 Euro was not for swimming pool for all SPA floor including Turkish Bath,Sauna and steam room.However, even you use it everyday after 18.00 pm we did not charge any money from you.
If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly..
Kindest regards
Ercan ULU

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pavia, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Strategic location, only few minutes walking from main interesting monuments (Aya Sophia; Topkapi, Blue Mosk and cystern Basilic). Suite was well equipped and space was enough for all the family. Finally personnel was very kind (a special mention for Mustafa) and always willing to help with trip organization and various requests

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 918Giulio71
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed this hotel first week of augost and hotel was very clean and center of old city also all staff was helpfull for us..Hope next year i will stay this hotel..

1 Thank Reşat S
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

To be honest, I chose this hotel for my business trip that was supposed to be as close to my counterparts in Istanbul as possible. The price was fine, the location was just perfect to have meetings with my Turkish fellas just across-the-street. After we had a bunch of meetings my evening walk made me realize that I can't just ignore this opportunity to enjoy sites offered by the hotel -- the view on Marmara Sea, quiet neighborhood and ancient Sofiya Mosque became highlights of my trip, apart from business of course.

With my business projects, I'm planning to visit Istanbul very often in the nearest future. They say the Fall is beautiful and warm and nice in here. For that, I'll be bringning my family later this year for sure.

Thanks to the managers and staff of the hotel -- felt like home. Tesekkur :)

Room Tip: Check out my photographs. If you like them, you will like any.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe S
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Very clean rooms, but small. Taxi drivers have to ask locals a couple of times to find the hotel. Breakfast is modest. The hotel is very new and the owner cares about it and has plans to improve. Staff is polite and eager to help. When you sit on a terrace you can enjoy the sea view 4-5 blocks ahead ( and there's a railroad btwn you and the sea, however it is to be said that this railroad isn't something that you'll hear at night)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

This was the last significant stop on a very long trip. I already had booked a room at another hotel but decided upon arrival that I wanted to splurge and pay more for features that we had forgone in the other cities we had already visited. Thankfully, Ataturk had free WiFi and after collecting our luggage I began searching. After about 30 minutes with one of the on-site travel agents being unable to find what I wanted (at a place he would get a commission, that is) I found Antea Palace on-line, checked availability and booked. We jumped in a taxi and went directly there. The bell service was prompt and the gentleman at reception (he let me call him Richard since after Italy and Greece my pronunciation skills had been drained) was very welcoming and surprised at how little time had elapsed between his receiving my booking and our arrival. He treated us to very powerful Turkish coffee and made available to us a room to my specification "with a balcony." The decor is lavish and the bellman gave us a tour of the spa area, fitness room, Turkish bath area, rooftop terrace, etc. The staff were very patient and accommodating to say the least. The room was beautiful and the balcony was the best of the trip (I also had balconies in Naples and Athens). The maid service was a bit inconsistent (one day the comforter was folded and on the floor instead of the bed, and the "complimentary 1 liter of drinking water" added to the refrigerator was omitted a couple of days) but nothing that required mentioning to reception as we are not high maintenance people.
I was very impressed by the waiter and bartender, Yusuf. He was extremely helpful, intelligent, and informative. One example, was while serving my son (14) and I dinner one night we asked about going to the beach on the Prince's Islands and he recommended Kinaliada. It was lovely and I was very grateful. As a businesswoman in DC working for a global entity I am always interested in talking with locals when I travel. I much prefer it to speaking with other tourists, in fact. Yusuf was consistently gracious in responding to my questions thoughtfully and I appreciated it immensely. In fact, very soon after checking in I went down to the bar eager to try a Turkish drink and found items like "Sex on the Beach", etc. on the drink menu. I looked up and said, "These are not very Turkish. Is there a drink that is specifically Turkish?" He said Raki and I told him that I would give it a try. Wow, Raki has a pleasing smell but the taste must be acquired (like Retsina in Greece I only needed one glass). When I brought down my glass and asked if Turkey makes wine he asked how I liked the Raki and I had to be honest and say that I wouldn't need to try any more but was glad that I had tried it. He then told me that it is considered a "man's" drink since it is strong and that women typically do not partake. On another note, although a mother traveling in Turkey with her son is an oddity (as I found out when not inside Antea Palace Hotel) Yusuf did not seem to blink an eye about it and remained professional and refrained from giving my son and I "the look of wonder/curiosity" that I did get from some of the other hotel staff and throughout the city. If Best Western International offers training or exchange programs for exceptional staff I highly recommend Yusuf.
I also highly endorse Antea Palace. As someone who has lived and worked in the Far East, South America and North America in my opinion, this hotel should satisfy anyone.

p.s. Aya Sophia and the Blue Mosque are stunning and Istanbul is enchanting. Even after just having seen Venice, San Marco Basilica, going to the beach at the Adriatic Sea on Lido, Murano, being in Venice for Redentore, Rome (Coliseum, Forum, Vatican Raphael Rooms, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters, Pantheon, Galleria Borghese, Capitoline Museum, Rome's fountains & Piazzas), climbing Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii, going to the beach on Ischia, Athens, Acropolis, New Acropolis Museum, Parthenon, Delphi, Temple of Poseidon, going to Voula beach, Tower of the Winds, etc. I was not expecting to be amazed after everything else we had already experienced on this trip. My son and I were amazed.

Room Tip: Don't be surly. Sure travel days are exhausting but it's not the hotel staffs fault. Be gr...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SeatOfMyPntsTravelr
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Me and my wife visited this hotel in April 2011 and we stayed very glad about this hotel. It is situated in very quiet and comfortable place in 10 minutes from Blue Mask and St. Sofia. We had a room with a sea view. Hotel is decorated in classic style and we were satisfied with classic music which was playing there all the time. It was very pleasant to relax in swimming pool, sauna, hamam and to have nice relaxing massage after daily walks and excursions. For breakfast we had a lot of different and tasty meals.
We'd like to notice polite and welcomed personnel. Also we'd like to thank manager of hotel. In August we plan to visit this hotel again with our friends. We advise to everybody to do the same.
Andrei, Victoria from Kiev (Ukraine).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple