“Rude night staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #178 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
New Delhi, India
“Rude night staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 14th October to 17th October 2013. The rooms are extremely small even for placing two suitcases but contain all needed amenities. The bathroom is extremely small too with cramped shower cubicle.There are no lifts and climbing stairs is not welcome in such places where even roads are not levelled. One gets very tired walking bad stonned roads around this hotel to all places of interest.

The breakfast is good with a chef making varieties of omletes.

The night receptionist who has virtually all controls over air-conditioning is VERY RUDE. Instead of being on his chair for the night duty, he takes off his coat, hangs it on the chair and goes to the lobby sofa to sleep. The rooms are so small that they are naturally atleast 10 degrees Centigrade above the lobby temperature. We Indians, who have lot of tolerence towards high temperatures could not tolerate the room temperature and with great difficulty and calling number of times, the receptionist switched on the cooling and we could sleep on the first night. However, the cooling was again switched off around mid-night.

Second night was miserable. The receptionist who sleeps on the sofa in a big lobby close to the road, must be feeling cold and to comfort himself, he switched on the heating system of the entire hotel and we were woken up arround 1am with blast of heated air. I rushed to the lobby where I found this jhonny lying on the sofa told me that there were lot of kids in the hotel who are feeling cold. I told him that by switching off the air-conditioning itself, one can achieve a room temperature of around 27 degrees centigrade. He challenged me that the temperature in the lobby is 12 degrees. I asked him to give me the room numbers who were requesting heating and told him that for his (receptionist's) own pleasure to sleep comfortably on the sofa, he had switched on the heaters. He asked me NOT TO SHOUT and arrogantly told me that I WAS MAKING STORIES. But eventually telling me that he has called the technician and the conditioning will be switched on, soon. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JHONNY HIMSELF IS THE TECHNICIAN.

I reported the matter to the manager Mr. Murat in the morning, who told me that he would look into the matter. However, this fellow wanted to again act funny the 3rd night and I asked him to give me the Manager's personal number and told him that he was not listening and I would rather talk to the manager. Only then the coditioning was switched on after spoiling my 3rd night again. The hotel cannot charge for air-conditioned room and not provide the desired cooling.

Is this is usual Turkish hospitality?

If the Hotel is fair, they should atleast refund my 50% of the payment and SACK this night receptionist immediately.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PKSinghal
BWThePresidentHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Pradeep Kumar Singhal,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
We thank you for choosing BW Citadel Hotel during stay in İstanbul.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in our Hotel.

On behalf of entire team, We regret this unintentional incident on our part.I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a beter experience for guests in the future. We have shared your comment with our managament and we will give you directly more detail information from our attitude on this case.
Please be assured that ,I will take all measures to ensure that a problem of this nature does not occur again. All the details you gave me has been corrected.

We apologize for this unfortunate event and wish your continuing patronage.Next time When you planning to come İstanbul. ,Please do not hesitate to contact me diretly 00902125162313

Manager
CITADEL HOTEL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

This hotel is fantastic. Clean, views of the sea, minutes walk from all the major attractions, friendly and helpful staff. Rooms come with everything you could want, an array of toiletries, bathrobes, slippers, towels changed every day, free bottled water provided every day is an absolute bonus. The breakfast is great, a great choice of foods and they have an omelette station to cook you a fresh one with your chosen ingredients. They must have noticed the birthday cards up in our room and delivered us a cake with candle as a complete surprise, so thoughtful. They arranged for a taxi to pick us up from the airport free of charge and booked our return taxi for only 30 euros. It was an absolute pleasure to stay here. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nikkihaydensmith
BWThePresidentHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 0090 212 516 23 13.

kissimmee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel was wonderful. Staff courteous and helpful. Included breakfast was fantastic. Sitting on the covered patio with a view of the Minamar Sea would have been a great way to spend the day! When it begins to get warm they put on the misting fans. Although this hotel does not have an elevator, the steps are easy to climb and your bags will be taken to your room and brought down at check out for you. They arranged taxis to the cruise port for us. $15 US dollars per cab (there were 4 of us with lots of luggage). Rooms were well laid out, beds comfortable, and bathroom well stocked including toothbrush,toothpaste and slippers! I would recommend this hotel and would be by first choice when I return to Istanbul

Room Tip: you can ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank morgan50

Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Right on the coast road (Kennedy Caddesi) it overlooks the Bosphorus and is only minutes walk from the Topkapi and Blue mosque. Free parking is always a bonus; double (in fact a triple) room for the price of a single; so was a big ground floor room with balcony overlooking the sea.
Staff helpful with directions to ferry port (too many choices; could end up in Asia!)
Fantastic choice for breakfast and good food in the evening.
Highly recommended and would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have a better view (above the trees)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Timisoara, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

The hotel is perfectly located, very near to Sultanamet (2-3 min walking), you can see from the hotel room Hagia Sofia, and you can see acroos the street the beautifull sea.
The rooms are a tittle small, but very clean, and the bathroom very good equipped with all the necesarry (bathrobes, slippers, bath cosmetics ).
The breakfast it is just amazing. You have very good choices of food ( fresh fruits, omlet, pancackes, wafels, ecc), and the view from the restaurant it is just stunning to the sea.
I would definitely recomand this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view nicer
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Do not let the hotel staff order you a taxi for the airport. Insist you walk to the road and hail the many that pass by. Insist on the meter.
Hotel staff said they will call me a cab to help. It cost 120tl to get to the airport on that taxi's meter (who is some acquaintance of theirs). I refused to pay and gave the taxi driver the 60 it cost me to get to this hotel the previous day. I said if he had a problem we can see the authorities, to which he quickly took the 60tl and left in a hurry.

Overall this hotel was okay, although a little walk to the main attractions. The service for a Best Western and a four star is pathetic. You expect childish scams when you stay at a cheap and nasty place.

I wouldn't stay there again. There is so much choice in Istanbul, simply cross this one off the list!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pws_ta_blepis
BWThePresidentHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

We thank you for your recent stay in our Hotel.Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconcenience you may have experienced in our Hotel. It is unlucky chance that happened with taxi. The taxi company that we have been taking since for many years is giving service to several hotels in our neighbourhood area. We never had any complain on our taxi service, we do not expect .
we have checked with taxi company and the receptionist on duty at your check out time. when our taxi was on the way to hotel, as mistake you had taken another taxi that stopped when passing from the front street !!!
On behalf of entire team,I would like to apologize for that mistake.Your satisfaction is important to us.

Sincerely Yours,
Manager
BW CITADEL HOTEL
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

This hotel is pefectly located for exploring the Sultanamet area of Istanbul .Its a short walk ( uphill admittedly ) to all of the areas cultural attractions . We had a sea view and saw dolphins daily . Room was small but clean and the breakfast excellent ( had omelettes every day ) .Shower hot and powerful with daily changes of toiletries . Staff were friendly and helpful . I will definately book this hotel again , it has everything you need.

Here's a tip ... Don't drive in the City , you won't survive the stress !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends