Decide yourself if the price is appropriate the information below and happy travel to Istanbul
As we planned to spend in Istambul one whole week between the New years eve we were looking for a nice hotel with decent price (room/night 100EUR does not seem little ...) - no necessary saving on budget but good value for money and good location in walking distance from the heart of Sultanahmet (Aya Sofia). Artefes hotel (we purchased it as 4* tvrough booking.com but I am extremely surprised that on tripadvisor they only declare 3*) advertised over 8 out of 10 points on booking.com , was convenient by location, looked clean and declared to have very nice hamman/sauna (on the top as free service if you spend certain number of nights). Compared to other available hotels the availability of nice sauna/hamman was a deal breaker (not the fact that we might get it also as a perk - free).
This is overview of all factors to be fact-based:
• Airport pickup: free of charge if you stay >5 nights, surprisingly worked absolutely ok and was very convenient (saving 10€ which you pay for 2 persons for airport shuttle from Sultanahmet)
• Location: Sultanahmet; even though not directly on the main hotel street, still next to other hotels and literally in 5 mins reach to Hippodrom and the Blue mosque
• Room: enough spacious, with 2 windows, I was affraid of being cold but had a heater and the hotel had a regular winter bedcovers (very positive for somebody with high temperature comfort level as I am)
• Cleaness: every day nicely groomed room (not able to evaluate if the bathroom was cleaned all every day or only towels and toil.paper but no complains from our side)
• Breakfast: selection ok, even though afrer a week you would expect at least some alternations; what was very dissapointing was
- 15 mins before the breakfast end there was no coffee and the service just responded to my question with no interest and the fact that "coffee finished" ...
- once already one hour before the breakfast finish there was almost no bread selection, people started coming for breakfast but the staff obviously did not care much
- croissants - once 2/3 of the whole plate was burnt and second time it was all spoiled - 2x out of 7 nights just seems to be too much, not mentioning that such an item should never appear on the custommer's table
• Sauna/Hammam: we ordered the sauna for certain time; at the selected time (when we even checked 50 mins before with the reception) the sauna had 26C. After 2 hours it reached 76C - not something you expect from sauna. The basement where sauna/hammam was located was obviously not used at all and the pictures in the ad was just a very nice ad completely unmatching the reality. Few chairs dirty from dust, shower the same (first we had to clean it before usage). Absolutely inadequate the price and what the hotel advertised
• Other services: we never eat in the hotel during the day which was the reason why we were not seaking anything else
• I value my time too much for spending it by writing novels on various forums but this time I want to help other travelers to have appropriate expectations and decide right as I am a happy tripadvisor uset to seek valuable insights
• We are travelers traveling often to locations with no comfort and with very basic infrastructure (trekking, mou tains, Asia as independent travelers) on the othe hand travelling a lot for business and hve appropriate comparison - also, typically not a person who complains but I want to get value for money which in this case was not fully met.
• Hotel offered us better room for the first night - we did not use it as we did not want to move all our stuff next day in different room again
• Room was nice; even though by europen measures definitely not a 4* this is expectable in similar type of location in middle east
• Hotel's presentation created much higher expectation from what we got
• Some services were unsatisfactory (breakfast service, see above)
• Sauna - you pay for a missleading info - do not expect you can use it
In 2009 we spent 4 nights in a hotel just 100m from Artefes - price substantially lower and service adequate. In my opinion win this case we paid too much but inadequately the advertisement
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Artefes Hotel is located on walking distance of such historical and major city sights as St. Sophia (Aya Sophia/Hagia Sophia), The Blue (Sultanahmet) Mosque, The Cistern Basilica (Yerebatan Cistern), Topkapi Palace, The Grand Bazaar (Kapalicarsi) and Spice bazaar) Misir Carsisi. Old City and its palaces divide the historical peninsula down the middle and lead guests directly from the hotel into the heart of Sultanahmet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Artefes Hotel Istanbul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Istanbul Artefes Hotel