“Very disappointing stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 1,120 Hotels in Istanbul
New York City, New York
“Very disappointing stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

After reading the positive reviews of this place online, I decided to stay at this hotel for the first several days I was in Istanbul. My stay was extremely disappointing and the hotel was not good. I will not say it was horrible, but it was depressing, to say the least. My room was so unpleasant, I did not want to return to my room until bedtime. The location is good, which is about the only positive thing I can say about it. I do not like to write negative comments about a place, but since I relied on Trip Advisor for recommendations, I think it is important to convey all opinions. I should also say, that I stayed in wonderful places, and this hotel was the only disappointment. First, my room was small, dingy, and had no ventilation whatsoever. It was extremely warm outside and inside, and the air conditioning system was apparently broken (first explanation). When I complained the next day, I was advised that the air conditioner was not broken, but instead, it was turned off automatically in October, and the only ventilation available was heat (second explanation). When I continued to complain (my room was sweltering), I was told that a technician was called to repair the air conditioner, but he did not work on Saturdays (third explanation). Needless to say, no one ever repaired the air conditioner and I never received an apology. On the third day, someone brought a fan into the room (by this time, I was looking to move). As for the shower, it was so small that I could not move once inside. It would be impossible for a man to fit inside the shower. There were virtually no amenities. The bed was uncomfortable and the bedding was awful - the sheets did not look clean, and the pillows were terrible foam. When I requested alternative pillows, they brought me one pillow. When I requested additional pillows, the woman on duty said "you only asked for one". The service was completely not at the level it should be. The breakfast was the worst I had at any of the hotels in Turkey - the toaster was broken, so we could not toast the bread (which was sitting out and was stale). The meat looked like a poor quality American hot dog. The internet access was also not working the entire time I stayed there. The place is really tired, and needs renovation. While the location is good, I must also add that because I had no air in my room, I had to leave the window open. The street noise was terrible until extremely late hours (2 am). The only positive thing I can say, is that some of the hotel staff were very nice and pleasant. I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel, however if you find yourself there, do not select a room with a windo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Susan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Breakfast included Turkish specialties like tahin&pekmez, cokelek and nice local pastries. Rooms felt homely and were very clean.

Front office kindly agreed to pick up our things from the dry cleaner/laundrette around the corner when I realised I wouldn't be back in time to pick them up myself.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bedestan
Tunis, Tunisia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

It was just the perfect place to stay not only for the location (we were close to the Blue Mosk, Topkapi Museum and Sainte Sophia), but more importantly for the kindness and the efficiency of the staff, giving all the information we need and doing its best to facilitate our stay in Istambul.
We were very pleased with the charm of this small hotel, and the comfort of our room; we enjoyed the fabulous breakfast on the roof terrasse, with a very special view on the Marmara Sea.
We visited Istambul fo its historical, cultural and tourist attractions, and we will certainly return in this “hotel de charme”.

1 Thank Amel B
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was my second time at this hotel, and my husband's third. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we felt welcome from the moment of arrival when guests are seated and given tea and Turkish delight while they fill in the check-in paperwork.

Bathroom spotless - this is very important to me!

Roof terrace with view on one side over the Blue Mosque and the other over the Sea of Marmara is a lovely relaxing place to sit at the beginning and end of the day.

3 Thank Hilary F
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Dersaadet is a meticulously appointed hotel, well run and friendly, great location, great roof top terrace. They have a helpful, friendly woman concierge/excursion planner who checks in with you every morning to see what she can do for you; she comes to you, you don't have to go to her, great idea..The only fly in the ointment:a little pricey.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank berlina
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This beautiful villa in a quiet street has from its roof terrace and conservatory a place where you can enjoy breakfast or a late night drink Wigan wonderful view of the Bosphorus.
The hotel retains its fin de siècle charm with delicately flowered wall paper, lovely furnishings and an art nouveau balustrade down its winding staircase.
It is small enough to ensure personal attention from the extremely helpful and friendly staff who will happily advise you on local restaurants ,sights and transport.
It is very near the Blue Mosque and Topkapi palace Andre trams system which will take you to most places of interest.

Room Tip: We had a double room with we and shower on the first floor which was very comfortable. We found the...
1 Thank Glenn B
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was really torn about how to rate this hotel. During our stay, I would have given it 5 stars, hands down. However, a horrendous experience upon our checkout, which nearly ruined the whole next part of our vacation, made me want to give them a negative 5-stars. It's a good thing I didn't submit my review at that moment! Now that I've had time to cool down, I decided to average it out and give them a few stars.
First the good: The hotel itself is charming, delightfully decorated, and conveniently located. The lobby was very pretty and pleasant, and we loved how they invited us to sit there and sip apple tea during the check-in/orientation process. It really made us feel welcome! The room was very charming, adorned with Turkish accents, such as a cushioned daybed and a lovely view over the Sea of Marmara. The rooftop terrace where breakfast was served was nothing short of wonderful. The bathroom was the cleanest I've ever had in a hotel.
The staff was friendly, spoke perfect English, and very helpful and accommodating (until checkout. Read on....). There were a couple of minor snafus during our stay, but I was so enamored with the hotel's charms that I would have easily overlooked the minor issues in giving them a rating on Tripadvisor. Namely, the wake-up calls we requested never worked, not once. The first day, it just didn't happen. A member of the staff did come and knock on our door, but not until 30 minutes after the scheduled wake-up call. They said something was wrong with the phone and they promised to fix it in time for the next morning's call. The next morning, same thing happened (including very late knock on our door, well past the wake-up call time). Again, everyone seemed baffled as to why it wasn't working. Well, in examining the phone, my husband discovered that the volume for the ringer had been turned off, and with a simple flip of a switch, he fixed the problem (which the hotel staff had been unable to resolve). Again, we were completely willing to overlook this incident, including the exceedingly late knocks on our door, as well as the fact that we were twice promised extra blankets which never arrived, due to the fact that the hotel's positives well outweighed these minor inconveniences.
However, the big episode that nearly ruined our experience with this hotel occurred at the end of our visit. The day prior to our checkout, we asked the girl at the front desk if we could arrange for an airport transfer for the following morning. We specified that we were not going to the same airport from which we had arrived, which was Ataturk Airport. She looked surprised and repeated the name of the other airport, "Sabiha Gokcen?". We affirmed that this was correct and explained that we were taking a domestic flight to Izmir, and that's why the plane was leaving from Sabiha Gokcen airport instead of the larger Ataturk Airport. She said that was no problem, quoted the price for the transfer, and said she would take care of it. She booked it for a slightly earlier time than she recommended, due to the fact that I like to arrive extra early at airports. No problem. So, the next morning, when we woke up super early and checked out at 5:00 AM, we verified with the gentleman on duty that the airport transfer was taking us to Sabiha Gokcen airport. He looked very surprised and said no, it was going to Ataturk. He thought we were just stating the wrong airport name until we showed him our flight itinerary. He said this was a big problem because Sabiha Gokcen was an hour and a half away (whereas Ataturk was only 30 minutes) and we would not make our flight on time. Additionally, the driver was already running late. And when he called to alert the transfer service that we needed to go to Sabiha Gokcen, the transfer service said they had to send a completely different driver for that, who would arrive even later. This was exceedingly stressful, as we were now basically facing the prospect that we would miss our flight, even though we had given the correct information to the hotel. The worst part was, this man at the front desk took no responsibility on behalf of the hotel, and in fact, was insisting that we had given incorrect information upon arranging the transfer! We definitely had not. I repeated the conversation I'd had with the girl the previous day, including the part where she even repeated the name of the correct airport, but we could tell he still did not believe us. He also informed us that we had to pay a LOT more for the transfer to Sabiha Gokcen, since it was so much further away. This was basically adding insult to injury. Of course we wouldn't have minded paying the fair price had the arrangements been correctly made, but considering we were now facing missing our flight due to the hotel's error, this just seemed petty. But we still paid it. What else could we do? The man at the desk said several times that it wasn't HIS fault. We know it wasn't his fault. However, he is the representative of the hotel, and it would have been nice if he had taken some responsibility for this very grave error on the hotel's part. He did not even apologize. It was a very long, stressful wait for the driver. It's very stressful to know that you're heading to an airport where you will have already missed your flight upon arrival. Not to mention facing a long drive there first.
The man at the desk did tell the driver (when the driver finally arrived) to hurry as fast as he can, and I give complete credit to that amazing driver, who, I'm pretty sure broke all speed limits and tons of traffic laws to get us to the airport in record time (30 minutes! We were flying....). I gave him a very large tip and thanked him profusely. So, after a very stressful couple of hours, we did make our flight, no thanks to the hotel or their staff.
I'd say this hotel is great as long as you don't require from the staff anything definitive that could make or break your trip, as they --- friendly as they are --- seem to be not entirely organized or responsible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple