“Dersaadet Hotel in Istanbul, Turkey.”

Dersaadet Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #12 of 1,134 Hotels in Istanbul
richmond
“Dersaadet Hotel in Istanbul, Turkey.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

WE loved staying at this hotel. The location is excellent for the old section of the city, near Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, tram line and a small bazaar. The staff was very hospitable and friendly. We especially liked the terrace (indoor and outdoor) where we had breakfast. The view of the Sea of Marmara and the Boshphorous was absolutely stunning, as well as the Blue Mosque. We would definitely recommend this hotel. It is an example of a wooden Ottoman mansion.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the Sea of Marmara. It was an end room with more room. The elevator was f...
1 Thank wgsmk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Location: perfect for what we wanted - a few minute walk from Blue Mosque, overlooking Marmara sea, and in a quieter part of Sultanahmet yet very central.

Staff: Very friendly. SO helpful. One nice young woman - can't remember her name - comes around to everyone's table at breakfast each morning to ask how you are, how your day was, and if she can help plan your upcoming day. She was very informative.

Breakfast / Terrace: AMAZING! This was our favorite part of our stay, I'd say. The breakfast was wonderful, and the view / ambience equally lovely.

Room: Cute and cozy. They offer changes of bedding (softer or harder) if needed, and provided slippers, great toiletries, free coffee and tea and pides.

Overall - great stay, exactly what we wanted.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Marmara sea. What a great sunrise to wake up to.
1 Thank Jessica R
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed overnight at the Hotel Dersaadet before boarding a cruise from Istanbul to Rome. We were looking for a location that provided good service but which was located close to Istanbul's historic centre. Our short stay left us wishing that we had chosen to stay longer in Istanbul. This is partly because of what Istanbul had to offer (two and a half days is too short) but also we really did enjoy the full experience at the Hotel Dersaadet. The staff are all very helpful and very nice people. We chose to use the Hotel driver to pick us up at the airport and to take us to the cruise terminal. The price paid was higher than if you used a regular taxi but the convenience and reliability of the service made this worthwhile to us. The hotel is situated very near the Blue Mosque. We went to the roof terrace bar that night to have a beer. Our view was the Blue Mosque and the Bosphorus/Sea of Marmara! The rooms are small but well maintained. We got a very good sleep but you are in a local neighbourhood and there are street noises that may bother some people. I think that that should not really be an issue for most people as touring does seem to tire you out! Also, the hotel's location provides an experience that you would not get at one of the distant big chain hotels.

The breakfast buffet was very good. There were many different options with some local options to experience.

The staff are the key to enjoying this hotel. They were always available to answer questions and provide service. On arrival we received hot apple tea (very good!) which helped to eliminate some of the stress built up from long distance air travel. It was just what we needed to slow down and begin to enjoy a new culture! I have travelled a great deal all over the world. I would have to rate this hotel as have the best overall staff that I have experienced!

Room Tip: A longer stay provides benefits such as a free drive from the airport.
1 Thank Belkpott
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We booked 3 nights at the Dersaadet to finish up our trip in Turkey this past August. I selected it based on other TA reviews and was not disappointed. The location is absolutely central in Sultanahmet - a quick walk to the Blue Mosque and other main attractions. The staff is very helpful and professional. They speak excellent English. The roof-top terrace is fabulous for breakfast or a late-afternoon beverage, with a beautiful view of the Bosphorus. My only complaint is we didn't have long enough to fully explore Istanbul- such an amazing and historic city. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to come back some time soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilQ3
New York, NY
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was the second time I stayed at the Dersaadet (the first time was perhaps seven years ago). I was on my own in Istanbul for a couple of days of leisure at the tail end of a business trip. I needed a place where I could get some work done, but still take a few quick breaks to walk around, see some sights and have some good food. The Dersaadet, with its location in the Sultanahmet old city area, near the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome, Topkapi and other important sights, fit the bill. It isn't so close to the action that it is in the midst of the hustle and bustle. But it close enough that you just take a short walk and you are right in the middle of things. I also remembered the very nice and helpful staff. So I very much wanted to go back. The reservation process is now a bit out of date - while they respond to email messages very quickly, the staff seem to take turns so things can get a little confused. This happened with my booking. I emailed a few days before arrival to reconfirm, only to get the perfunctory requests to state room preference, go to a website to input credit card information, and send back an email undertaking that you understand the terms and conditions of the booking. It made me somewhat apprehensive about the reliability of the hotel's booking system. I did get a nice message from the owner to assure me that my booking was confirmed and that they had a misunderstanding. But I think it is probably time for the hotel to consider setting up a real-time reservation system, if only to eliminate the need for all the emailing back and forth. Maybe it's less personal, but in this day and age, a dedicated real-time system saves the customer time and effort and that does count. This need to upgrade was something of a theme of my stay. Everything about the stay was top notch. The airport pick-up by a wonderfully nice driver, the reception with the tea and Turkish delight, the comfortable and spacious room, the friendly and helpful staff, the filling breakfast on the rooftop with a compelling view of the Sea of Marmara and the Blue Mosque, and indeed the excellent location, with the major sights nearby and some very nice restaurants short walks away. But I would say that it may be time for the hotel to consider ways to upgrade without spoiling their excellent value-for-money proposition. In other words, they need to upgrade without, one would hope, pushing themselves into too high a price point. The rooftop terrace and cafe is wonderful, but probably needs some upgrading. Breakfast is great, but perhaps they should consider an eggs-to-order service. The spread is perhaps now a little to pedestrian, if I can use that word, for a boutique hotel. Tea from bags? Butter from packets? Processed cold cuts? I don't mean to be snobby, but the boutique hotel crowd at this price level (about EUR100 for a deluxe room) is getting more and more sophisticated so the hotel should probably think about how to stay ahead of evolving. Another case in point: the television service. Now, I like having the TV on when I am working so I have something to listen too. I found the quality of the reception and the selection to be somewhat limited for this day and age - especially since I had just come from Abu Dhabi where the hotel I had stayed at had a very wide selection of channels and languages. The Dersaadet has good choice, but again, the quality and diversity of programmes and the reception was a little below par. The same goes for the bedding (I just didn't feel that the linen and pillows were all that fresh and comfy) and the general feel of the rooms. For my second night, they offered me an "upgrade" to a deluxe room with a Turkish-style bath so that I could have an extra half hour of late checkout (which didn't really make sense to me but I accepted it so I could experience another room). The staff kindly moved all my things to the second room. The two rooms I had were a little dark since each had only one smallish window. (I guess my expectations were high because in my first stay I had taken one of the suites, which I remember as having been very bright.) While the bathrooms were spacious, the first had a rather cramped bath/shower, while the Turkish-style bath didn't really make sense to me since I thought that the point of a hamam is that you are in a spacious bathing area and you receive (strenuously applied, in the Turkish case) spa-like treatment so the idea of a private Turkish hamam didn't seem to make sense, especially since it's just one room and not a series of room. Also, when I used the shower, the water quickly spilled over into the rest of the bathroom and threatened to seep into the room so I had to keep turning off the shower and had to lay down one of the large bath towels on the floor to prevent flooding the room. I guess it's a nice cultural touch to have this hamam, but I'm not sure I get or appreciate the effort. (I have been in Japanese ryokan with a private Japanese-style baths, but since these are meant to be all about just soaking and washing, they make since.) I should note that what remains wonderful at the Dersaadet is the staff - all very friendly and helpful. Maybe sometimes too helpful. The lovely lady who came by the breakfast room in the morning to greet everybody and see if you needed anything was perhaps a little too forthcoming. Some people want to have breakfast undisturbed. A greeting is fine, but perhaps the offer of help and advice might be kept to the lobby, though maybe it's just me who feels this way. Finally, Istanbul is one of those places where people have to fly out in the wee hours of the night. I wonder if the hotel could upgrade its room management systems to accommodate half-day late checkouts (with a half-day charge). This may be too much to ask, I will accept, but it would be a nice touch. I was flying out at 1 in the morning and didn't want to pay for a whole night's stay. The hotel gave me a "late" checkout of 90 minutes after the checkout time, which is really not a late checkout. I would have gladly paid for half a night to have been able to stay in my or any room till, say, 6 pm. But this was not an option. As it was, they kindly let me stay around and I happily worked in the rooftop cafe and watched the sunrise. The hotel wifi system worked fine, except for one period early in the morning when it went out, but was back quickly after I alerted the staff. I found it a little disconcerting that they just left my bags out in the open in the lobby. I wasn't too worried because there is staff there all the time, but it would have been nice if somebody had put them away in a closet or somewhere out of sight. The van service to the airport went very well, with another great driver providing the service. To conclude, the Dersaadet remains an excellent value-for-money hotel with great service, but it probably needs to think about ways to upgrade (a fitness room? more varied snacks, maybe some canapes or sandwich service, in the lobby and the rooftop?) and make the whole experience even better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked four nights in this hotel based on past reviews and were not disappointed. Located in the wonderful Sultanahmet vicinity (the old town) it is close to all the major sites. We requested a room with sea view and from here we looked across the Sea of Marmara where we could see all the shipping including cruise ships arriving in Istanbul early every morning. Being on the third floor we could leave our windows open at night for fresh air. The Call to Prayer from the Blue Mosque, a short distance away, reminded us where we were in this exotic and ancient location and it certainly got us up early every morning to begin our full days!
Breakfast on the roof terrace every morning was a treat - Sea of Marmara one way, Blue Mosque behind. Excellent selection of food every morning. The terrace was also a peaceful place to sit after a busy day in the city.
The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Grand Bazaar and Spice Markets were all within walking distance. We walked through the Arasta Bazaar every morning to access these sites and it is a wonderful place to shop or browse; good carpets too.
Staff at the hotel were exceptionally helpful, including an email just before our arrival, telling us about weather, events and opening times in Istanbul for the period of our visit. Every amenity was available including wifi.
We would certainly return and recommend this hotel to anyone else.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view is a fantastic way to get a sense of this wonderful city.
2 Thank HelenG724
Chicago
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A highly rated and more affordable hotel in a great location for those wanting to be by the main sites in old Istanbul, just a short and safe walk to the Hippodrome and famous Mosques. The staff was highly professional and the facility had an old world charm with all the conveniences you could like.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo