“Great location”
Review of Alzer Hotel

Alzer Hotel
Ranked #296 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is a small, well-established, hotel that is on Sultanahmet Square. Other hotels are near, but not 'on' the square. The rooms are European-sized, and comfortable; not exceptional. The breakfast on the rooftop enclosed terrace has a view over the Bosphorus shipping lanes and over the Square. Also, the food is good. Downstairs on the Square, at the hotel entrance, there is both indoor and outdoor seating with a good menu. Inside seating is more comfortable (especially in January) than outside. Both areas have limited numbers of tables, but it is a small hotel and there are plenty of tables for the guests. Taxi-service from Ataturk Airport can be arranged by the hotel, but there is no real advantage. The ride takes about an hour. The Airport has a link to online taxi reservations (about 100 usd round-trip to Sultanahmet Square). A better alternative is the Ulger Agency just as you depart the Customs area. There is a narrow (horizontal) arrivals area with various agencies. Just to the right a few meters is the Ulger Agency (open 24 hours) and they can arrange immediate taxi service with a fleet of available drivers and vehicles. When I arrived about 2:00 am, they offered service to the Square for 35 Euro and as soon as I said 'Yes' I realized I should have bargained for less. This IS Istanbul and a cheaper fare could have been set. Past Ulger Agency, about 25 meters, is a Starbucks. This one has Istanbul mugs and a selection, the one inside the terminal area is small and has no mugs for sale ... if you are a Starbucks mug collector. Near the Square, you can find Celine Hotel (more expensive), Sultan Hill (wood paneled, more rustic?), and many others that I looked at but did not stay. I chose prime location and Alzer Hotel is good for that. Short walks to the Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bizarre, and countless shops with jewelry, carpets, and many kinds of crafts. This place has centuries of history. English is widely spoken. Baklava and Turkish Delight candies are great, and the local apple tea is a treat. Stop for a short stay and explore. Staff is efficient and will treat you with old-school hospitality in a atmosphere that shows pride in the history of the place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 December 2013

As loathe as I am to giving an excellent to anything, the Alzer Hotel's location and staff have made me give it 5 'stars'.
This our second visit to Istanbul and our first experience (unreviewed) at the Alzer was what prompted us to return.
The location on the Hippodrome less than 100 metres from the Blue Mosque make it a walker’s delight (and I am not big on walking). The Hagia Sophia is in plain sight from the breakfast room and that too is well within walking distance.
In addition to these two main tourist 'must visits', the tram (both efficient and inexpensive) is only about 250 metres walk along the Hippodrome. Two stops along the tram route is one of the oldest Turkish Baths (where I left a layer or two of skin) in Istanbul as well as one of the entrances to the Grand Bazaar - again from a person who would prefer not walking, these are all within easy walking distance.
Speaking of taxis, the staff at this small hotel are (were) more than helpful with understandable directions being offered when requested and although we arrived quite late from our flight, they met us at our taxi (outside of the pedestrian zone in front of the hotel) and took our bags directly up to the room (that along with a bucket of ice too).
The rooms are clean, basic and all have a modern en suite as well as an air conditioning unit, flat screen TV, phone and double, queen or twin beds. We have been in three differently configured rooms on our visits (they stored our large luggage there when we went to Cappadocia on our first visit to IST).
We had been in the neighbourhood before so did not need to get restaurant suggestions but I know we could have asked for restaurant suggestions even though they have one on site.
On departure, we needed to get to the cruiseport to pick up our cruise and rather than going with a transfer service, they hailed a cab and negotiated the price for us at less than 1/4 of the transfer price.
If you want 5 star modern, choose a modern 5* hotel like Best Western, Hyatt all of which have their place; if you want location, location, location with friendly service, the Alzer worked for us and when we come back to Istanbul, we WILL return to the Alzer.

Room Tip: Our rooms did not open onto the Hippodrome nor the Blue Mosque - not a problem as the rear facing ro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ward L
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed three nights in November 2013. The hotel faces the Hippodrome and Sultanahmet Mosque. The view from the top floor, where they serve a nice breakfast, is fantastic. You can see Hagia Sophia, Sultanhamet Mosque, and the full Hippodrome. Maybe the best view in the area. Room was nice, on the back side, quiet. A few things didn't work, like the safe (batteries appeared to be out) and the shower head wouldn't stay in place, but they were minor things. Overall we really enjoyed the stay and it couldn't have been any more convenient. I ran the Istanbul marathon and the finish line was 50m from the hotel! Staff was wonderful, very helpful. We ate dinner twice in the restaurant and enjoyed both times. Wifi was free and worked well. Certainly would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kent W
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed there for a week beginning Oct. 29, 2013. Rooms are small but clean and appropriately decorated. Bathrooms are large and nice. Only a few rooms on each floor and so quiet in the rooms and hotel in general. The housekeepers seem to be there all the time and are very pleasant. The desk clerks are ok but the breakfast staff and restaurant staff are very friendly and accommodating. The selection of food and beverages at the breakfast buffet was large and included everything you would expect.

The location is on the edge of the Hippodrome and across from the Blue Mosque. Extremely convenient and easy to walk to major sights everyone wants to see on a visit to Istanbul. Also close to many restaurants, shops, small groceries, etc.

I recommend Alzer Hotel and would stay there again if I returned to Istanbul.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have an excellent view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nina1942
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Ideal location; welcoming, helpful staff; charming dining room with amazing views; delicious food; clean, comfortable rooms; overall inviting ambience. I hope to someday travel again to Istanbul and will definitely stay at the Alzer!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel was chosen by our tour leader. The location is excellent in the Sultan Amet area. Each day started with a plentiful breakfast bar with many choices. Staff were very helpful. I was even offered a personal cell phone for a local call. After our tour I met my daughter from Norway and visited friends in Eskisehir. Returning to Istanbul, I only had a day to show her around. Alzer willingly kept our luggage for the day and we were able to ride a shuttle from there to the airport. I will definitely be recommending Alzer Hotel to anyone traveling to Istanbul.

Room Tip: If you need a suite, there is a lovely one overlooking the Blue Mosque.
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I travel many places in the world; and Alzer Hotel is one of my favorite hotels. I have stayed at other hotels in Istanbul but Alzer is my favorite. As well, I have taken two groups to stay there and I hear nothing but positive comments from the travelers. I highly recommend Alzer for the consistently excellent location, food, and rooms. The staff are friendly, helpful, and make the experience joyful. The location allows for accessibility to many parts of Istanbul. Deanna B

1  Thank Deanna B