“Beautiful historic hotel the 'Green House'”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Yesil Ev

Hotel Yesil Ev
Ranked #629 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Boullay-les-Troux, France
“Beautiful historic hotel the 'Green House'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Just a wonderful stay in a mostly empty hotel in the off season: Feb. 2013.
Lovely room with a view on the Blue Mosque and wake-up calls with the
call to prayer in the morning. A delightful hidden garden and indoor
restaurant. Excellent service all around. In season, one really will need
to book I imagine as there are only 19 room.
If coming by taxi, they'll drop you off as near as possible,
as the hotel is in a no-go zone for cars/taxis. Close to the tram for getting
to the Bazaar and/or to the 'new town'. Note: no TV in our room and we
couldn't care less... too much to see and do in Istanbul to have time for
television. No pool or fitness center, so don't know how to evaluate that.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank boullaylestroux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location, within walking distance of the major sites (Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace and one of the best hamams in Istanbul). The room was clean and comfortable, though a little on the small side (it is an old house). I would have liked an electric jug in the room so I could have made a cup of tea after a long day on my feet. Note that there is no lift. The staff were helpful and the breakfasts excellent. I ate dinner in the beautiful restaurant in the garden - good food and courteous staff.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were on level 4 - with no lift. Had to move furniture out of the room to fit in our two small cases. Bathroom so small that we had to sit sideways on the loo!!! Breakfast adequate but very plain. All forgiven for the location as you can walk to all the main attractions - but at E200 p n we expected more.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room lower than level 4!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penny C
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I spent the last night of my 9 days in Turkey in Yeśil Ev, and it delivered spectacularly. Right besides the best Hamam in the city, between the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, beside a Madeasa that now teaches the making of local ceramics, and outside the Arrasta Bazaar, the hotel nicely rounded our trip out.

The bathroom was a little cramped, but the storage in the room exceeded the storage we got in any of the other 4 rooms we stayed in during our trip by a factor of 3 at least! Be prepared to walk up and down stairs though - there aren't any lifts in this historic place!

The staff were extremely helpful and I just had to hint at something and it was all organized. I stayed in room 34 and it looked out to their beautiful oasis of a courtyard... Can be a little noisy in the early evening but no more so than most other places in this busy city... I just wish I'd stayed longer than a day!

Room Tip: They say rooms on level 4 are a little cramped, but my room on level 3 was excellent
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank akaul1
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I just returned from a 5 night stay at Yesil Ev and I must say the location, the ambience, service, food and simple beauty are not to be beat. The staff were so very helpful with every request - large or small or in-between. The garden as other reviewers have said is an oasis in a bustling area - you can sit and have a meal or a drink and see the Blue Mosque from one angle and the Haggia Sofia from another - very special. I can't wait to go back - thank you Yesil Ev!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the call to prayer - although we slept so well we never heard it in th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I just returned from my 2nd stay at Yesil Ev in 3 months. During a May visit to Istanbul, I started out at The W Hotel in Nishantashi. Nothing bad to say about W. It was lovely, totally in line with any hipster W I've stayed with great service but I felt that I could have been at the W Union Square in NYC. I spent much of the day time exploring the Old Town (Sultanahmet) which wasn't far but an exhausting cab ride. It was there I discovered Yesil Ev. It's a wooden, 19th Cent Ottoman hotel with warm service and an oasis of a garden. I moved that day to the hotel and have visited since in late July. The location is unbelievable - literally in the center of Sultanahmet and a few yards from the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Haiga Sophia. The rooms were charming and clean, bathrooms were perfectly fine and I started each day with coffee next to the fountain in their flower-filled garden. It's next to the Four Seasons so getting a cab to Beyoglu/Taxim for dinner and nightlife was easy (tip: when returning, tell the driver Four Seasons Sultanahmet & watch the meter!). Yesil Ev's staff arranged dinners, tennis and pool at SwissHotel and overall, couldn't have been nicer. The beds weren't the most plush I've slept on, but I slept well - even thru the morning call to prayer from the neighboring Blue Mosque. Visiting Yesil Ev is like visiting my granma's house. It might be a bit 'tired', but it exudes a warmth, genuine hospitality and a "realness". I'll keep going back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jason k
los altos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Yesil Ev is a lovely hotel. The guest and public rooms are charming. Breakfast outside in the courtyard is very pleasant. The hotel's location is great in terms of access to the old city. It's a bit too close to the minarets though and the call to prayers can be very disruptive to your sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family