“Unwelcoming”
Review of Taksim Gonen

Taksim Gonen
Ranked #510 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed at the Taksim Gonen in Isatnbul from 28/9 to 6/10 2012. The holiday did not start well after they failed to collect me from the airport as planned. I sent several e mails & had to phone twice to get confirmation of my free transport & they still didnt turn up. When I did get there at 4am the front desk were not particularly welcoming & I was left to go up to the 9th floor & find my own way to my room. The room was adequate but the welcome bowl of fruit was also missing. The hotel was occupied by 40% Turkish & 50% German & nobody spoke all week unless I said good morning first ! They advertise a roof top pool but what the fail to say is that you are made to feel in the way if Turkish Tourists (or staff) arrive there to sunbathe & you are in there spot, you are made to feel very unwelcome & are spoken about in Turkish !
Maids start banging about from 7am & the German guests regularly woke me slamming doors & talking & at the top of their voices in the corridors late at night & early morning.
They also fail to say that they do not open the roof top bar during the day unless they feel like it & then the staff spend their time on mobile phones & ignore the fact that you may want a drink.
I was glad to leave at the end of the week & at least the transport did arrive to collect me to take me back to the airport. The breakfast buffet was of a good standard with lots of variety - a positive among the many negaatives. The hotel did call me on my mobile to offer to refund the 80 YTL that it cost me to get there by bus but several e mails later no refund has been given.

If you are going on a business conference for a day this place would suit but for an enjoyable holiday experience -avoid ! E Bookers have proimised to assist in getting my refund but I am not holding my breath !

Trevor Gridley

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Very good hotel in very good location , every thing is near restaurants and shopping (istiklal av) , the breakfast is very good , rooms clean even a little small , the staff is very helpful especially in reception desk . Wifi is good ... I enjoyed my staying here .

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My family & I stayed there for 5 nights in August. We had booked through my son's wedding planner's agency. Big mistake. We paid 50€ more than other guests, per night, per superior double room (1 queensize, 1 single bed, similar to a triple room). Those guests had free transportation to & from airport. We paid...This was not the hotel's fault. Our rooms were large, very good beds. Good bathroom, exellent shower though lighting could be improved. Carpeting in bedroom had quite a few stains. On arriving, I was given a room on 1st floor which I immediately refused & was then given one on 9th. In a city I always insist on an upper floor. Breakfast wasn't great. It was included in our reservation. No fresh orange juice. You paid extra if you wanted that or a fried egg...Staff were friendly enough. The outdoor pool on the roof was a great compensation for everyone in our party, especially the children.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Very much enjoyed staying at this hotel for a week.
Breakfast buffets were superb.
Two swimming pools - a rooftop pool with panoramic views over Istanbul, and a surprisingly long indoor pool and gym.
Rooms very comfortable, staff friendly and helpful.
Location is good - airport buses stop a few hundred metres away, easy to get to the historic sites via the funicular and tram.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul J
Reviewed 1 September 2012

from an easy going couple that is well travelled...stayed 6 nights with a large group of family and friends that travelled from all over the world to attend our wedding. while suite was satisfactory it could do with refurbishing. things like shower and fridge didnt work and they never got to fix it properly. staff is not as friendly as one expects in Turkey and specially considering 15 rooms were booked through us, they made no effort really...

thou the biggest dissatisfaction was to have a few personal belongings missing that we left behind in the bathroom and another guest left for us at reception, in both cases they never showed up and house cleaning never found, we know and so does our guest that they were left at hotel but at reception they insist they were not found. I'm starting to think they were not happy with our tips...?

on the positive side, location and the great roof top pool with amazing views, pretty nice place to cool down on a summer day. breakfast is good, but after 6 mornings you would expect waiters to know what you want...

finally our experience here was not as positive as we would have wished but then again who cares, we had a lovely week and a better wedding :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The hotel is just Ok for the price you get. The rooms need some refurnishing. The service at reception is not specially helpfull. The best part of the hotel is the swimming pool at the roof top. The place to lay down is small, but the views are astonishing.
Breakfast buffet is nice if you like to have it turkish style, mainly local cheeses, Olives, tomatoes, Bread and tea.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2012

watch your cloths we had three rooms bath room in first floor are too small ,my wife and teen s cloths are missing and when we check out they told us that we owe 268 lira for turkish bath ,we never use that . and they did 3 family in same group the same way.july14-july 21

Room Tip: first floor rooms are too too small