“Good place for Business travelers” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taksim Gonen

Taksim Gonen
Ranked #521 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Tehran
“Good place for Business travelers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I have stayed there for 3 times and if you are on a business trip and prefer to avoid extra payment for useless luxury, I suggest the hotel to you!
The hotel is well located nearby Taksim square which gives you the chance to spend your free time by window shopping, walking and nice cuisine in Taksim Area. the lobby is small but nicely decorated, staff are helpful and the price is reasonable comparing the quality with some other hotels. Presents nice breakfast too. Rooms are clean with comfy bed and average furniture.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rezagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

I stayed 7 night (first at gonen hotel recently. Booking.com booked it for me no breakfast included and I paid for the week in advance. I have to say reading some of the comment got me worried after paying in full and no cancellation allowed but I had a different experience and really enjoyed my time. I had a nice big room on the 10th floor cleaned to a good standard every day I am familiar with Istanbul so I didn't need any help from staff (so no comment on helpfulness) but they always smiled and welcome you. I used the gym its not virgin active but good enough for a 4* hotel and quick fix while away. My big disappointment was taksim square very noisy building work which went on late into the night. But hotel location is great for day trips and night outs and as regular visitor to the city gonen was one the best 4* hotel I have stayed in for location and value for money. Just some general advice for Istanbul visitors, avoid using taxis as much as you can from airport to taksim use havatash coach for 10 trl and airport to aksaray(if you are booked near sultan ahmed historical area) metro for only 3 trl and then use tram if you are up it or taxi which make sure and agree the price before and ignore taxi meter idea. Around taksim area shop around for your beer prices they vary from $4 up to $10 each so check them before ordering and stick to turkish drink for better taste and price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Aryanoo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Good price for avery clean hotel andone of the best location.Walking distance to most of historical attraction and the lively Estighlal road.Wonderul staff and a full breakfast buffet.the metro station is very close which makes it cheap and handy to get around.The roos have all an extra single bed as well as a double which is helpful when you have small children. the only thing missing was hand tissue in the rooms??

Room Tip: ask for room withsome kind of good view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Before starting my trip , I had went through all the negative comments about the hotel on this website .. But fortunately I couldn't find anything wrong about this hotel !
Room service , Breakfast , Rooms were all satisfying !!
One can't compare the services of a four star hotel with a five star one !!
This hotel has every quality a four star hotel needs and can be proudly called one of the best four star's in Taksim !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Great location off Taksim square (nb: major alterations to the square are in progress and may be ongoing for a long time). Typical city hotel, with slightly lacklustre rooms and public areas, however the Cafe bar on the ground floor and the rooftop restaurant both serve good food and the staff are cheerful and helpfull.
Don't rely on wake up calls booked at reception, it seems they are overlooked because the reception desk is busy.
If Taksim square looks daunting at night, there are several small streets behind the hotel lined with cafe bars and shops.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mapkblue1
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

I was there 2 times on the same trip 1 night before going to Cappadocia and 6 nights when I came back from it. It was my honeymoon and I wanted something good. So I got the largest room they got in one of the most expensive hotels in Istanbul
The hotel looks nice from the from desk. And is really nice located about 200 meters from Taksin Square. But the good thinks end there.
For a start nobody speak good English. Not even the general manager, that I talked later.
It was the worst service in a hotel in my live.
I’m going to list my problems
• I booked a suit and they put me in a regular room because they are all booked because of a weeding. They said they were sorry but they will only move me on the next day. I spent 1 day in a bad room and had to move to the suit.
• The suit was old and not well conserved as you can see on the pictures.
• I was tied and they had a party above my room and despite of all my complains, they did keep the volume loud until 3:00 a.m and I had a tour next day.
• The persons on the front desk ware stupid to me because I was complaining about the party.
• My bathtub was leaking because was not well maintained, I call saying if they could send someone later because I was in the shower and I already controlled the flow with towels on the ground, they sent someone on the same moment and they make me get of the shower entering in my room to fix on the same moment. They left without fixing and I had to spend 30 minutes wrapped in the towels.

In resume don’t stay there. Never stay in any ship garage but not there.

Hope to help…

Bacal

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leandrobacal

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed at the Gonen with Riviera Travel for our Ephesus, Gallipoli and Istanbul tour. I dont think it could be faulted. Free wi-fi in rooms. Nice breakfast and good downstairs restaurant for evening meals. Road works in Taksim Sq but thats not the fault of the hotel!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple