“Excellent location”
Review of LaresPark Hotel

LaresPark Hotel
Ranked #372 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed at Larespark for two weeks for business. You cannot beat the location; the hotel is a mere two walking blocks from Taksim Square, which is my preferred place to stay while in Istanbul. You can spend your evenings walking on Istiklal Street, or even walking the neighborhood directly around the hotel. There is a great restaurant just across from the hotel called Beyruti, which has very accommodating staff and you can sit outside in the nice weather. Much better food and prices than what is served at the hotel restaurant.

The rooms at Larespark are comfortable. The bathroom is large, the beds are comfy, the rooms are clean. There were a couple of things that weren't so great. I was on the back side of the hotel and the street there has a nightclub that plays pumping beats until the early morning on weekends. Yet the pumping beats do not rival the lovely mating wails of the neighborhood stray cats. This cacophony had an eerie luster as it climbed up and echoed back and forth off the buildings. And the cats did not stop wailing in the early morning; you were likely to hear them at any hour of the day. I know both of these things are beyond the control of the hotel and it is just a small price you pay to stay in the middle of the action that is found in Taksim. The elevators are also a little slow at times as there are only two. The breakfast buffet was insanely huge with tons of choices and some different items every day.

One thing I did have an issue with was being accused by the hotel staff of having an extra person in my room I did not pay for. I have many friends living in Istanbul and had several of them visit me in my room. Some were visiting for several hours one night and the next day I had a note under my door asking me to call reception. I was then asked if I was a double or a single in the room. Really? When I checked in I told them I was a single, and I was not lying, it was just me sleeping there. I didn't know that they were spying on me each time I entered the hotel lobby to see who was accompanying me. This incident greatly upset me as I felt they were accusing me a being a liar and I also felt as though I was being spied on by the staff. It was a bit of a creepy experience.

But other than the one incident the staff was very helpful in other ways; exchanging money, making small change, helping with directions and Istanbul information. The housekeeping staff was very good and even left me an extra towel when I asked for one.

Overall, I enjoyed staying at Larespark because I was able to spend my evenings in one of my favorite neighborhoods in the entire world! The hotel is a decent value for the price based on the quality and the location.

Be aware though if you are staying in Taksim and will take a taxi to Sultanahmet to see the sites, make sure you ask the taxi driver what the approximate cost will be before you get in his car! It should be around 12 - 14 lira one way using the meter. If they quote you 30 lira they are going to cheat you! Istanbul taxi drivers are notorious for ripping off tourists. I even experienced two drivers that manipulated the meter to increase the fair. I caught them in the act. They don't expect you to be watching them because there is too much to see out the windows of the car. Keep your eye on them, if they touch the meter make them pull over and get a different cab. These cheating taxi drivers really give the honest ones a bad name. Tourists are the lifeblood of so many people in Istanbul that it is truly a shame that some idiot taxi drivers can tarnish a great experience by trying to make a few extra lira off of naive tourists. Public transportation is an option but unless you read Turkish or have someone that can show you the ropes it can be a little complicated the first time.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel was very noisy at night so do yourself a favor and bring some earlplugs w...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Shervivor

Reviewed 21 September 2011

What a great hotel this is , with swift easy transfers to a exciting part of Istanbul.
Very spacious rooms well kept and clean.
Indoor pool , turkish baths and gym all kept neat clean and very hygenic.
Wonderful coffee shop with amazing turkish deserts/cakes.
One of the fastest check ins i have ever experianced .
Very good front desk staff very helpful , just watch out for taxi fares.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed there for 4 nights on a business trip. Check took less than 3 minutes which was wonderful since I was exhausted. The room was extremely clean and was kept clean and made even if i didn't ask for it. This hotel is on a stay green mission which i totally loved. The front desk were very helpful and room service was very quick and the food was delicious! Breakfast boufet could have been a bit more diverse but the coffee was excellent and that's all i really needed. The free wifi was good and the most important thing is the that the hotel was location which is amazing and was close to everything although I was on a business trip and didn't really have much time for site seeing but if i were to go on a shopping trip Lares Park is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel is a very fun location near much nightlife. The breakfast is quite good, although, the waiters are rude and try to rush you to leave. The front desk staff is awful. They cannot answer basic questions and seem resentful that you even ask them.
The beds are not comfortable at all. I had requested a double room and was given a room with two twin beds put together. It was odd.
Overall, the price was reasonable, so I can't complain too much, but I've come to expect much more from hotel service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank murphydevil
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I liked the LaresPark. I was in Istanbul for a conference/fun. The hotel is convenient to the funicular/train over to the old town (very fast service) and Istiklar street (tons of shopping). I had an interior room with no windows, but it was huge and even had a sitting area. Breakfast was excellent. The workout facility was modest - just a bike/treadmill and a few weights and another machine that you had to pay extra to use. The pool looked nice, but we didn't go in. Free wifi was fast throughout my room. I appreciated the bottle of water in the morning and that they had a cab 'on call' who always used the meter.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I Swear it is an Excellent Hotel, Helpful Staff, Good Location, in addition to the AMAZING BREAKFAST.

Room Tip: Don't miss this Hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aezzeldin79
Reviewed 29 May 2011

First - the positive. The room (a junior suite) was spacious and bright. The beds (two twins and a pull-out sofa) were comfortable with lovely linens and pillows. The breakfast buffet was bountiful and the coffee delicious.
BUT: the Front Desk staff treated us with such rudeness when we checked in that our tour guide called his company from the lobby to report on the churlish behavior. We were polite and friendly and caught off-guard by the poor attitude. But, we decided to let it go and went on up to our room. Surprise - the bath-tub was dirty (someone's hair -ugh), and there was a strong sewage smell. We called the front desk to request the bathroom be re-cleaned which was done almost immediately. However, the strange odor lingered. A plumber arrived, knocked on the bathroom walls, flushed the toilet a few times and sprayed something in the corners. Surprisingly, the odor dissipated for awhile, but returned with a vengeance later that night. It was so strong that we had trouble sleeping.
We would have changed hotels but since we were there for only two nights we decided to stay put.
Also, there were only 2 bath-towels and one robe/slippers for 3 people. We padded around in our socks which turned dark from the obviously unclean hardwood floor.
All in all - not a great place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends