“Crampt...”

Ranked #128 of 1,048 Istanbul B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Crampt...”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The 24 bed dorm is an actual joke. They beds are largely pushed together, there is absolutely no room for your bags, no plugs and no hot water.
if you are a bit podgy you will struggle to fit down the side of the beds to get into yours.
communal area is so tiny only about 10 people are able to fit in it.
the good things is the location is awesome, and the staff are friendly.

• Stayed April 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in the Mavi for 4 nights with my daughter. We both felt immediately at home with the manager (Ali) and his staff. The first night there, it was my daughter's birthday and the staff arranged for her to have a birthday cake. The Mavi may be a little outdated and in need of some minor cosmetics, but it was clean, safe and comfortable and the staff were absolutely amazing. It was our overall experience at the Mavi that brought the ratings up to 4 stars. If you have no idea where to go or what to do in Turkey, then Ali is the man to go to. He and his staff (Karoilina, Yusuf, etc) planned our entire itinerary and arranged for bus tickets. We simply told him our timelines and budget and SNAP! It was all taken care of. We saw the best sights in Kappadokia and stayed at the most beautiful hotel and enjoyed the best tours ever! When we decided to change our itinerary halfway through, we simply called Ali and he made all the changes for us! He is what makes the Mavi so great. We didn't mind spending time in the one common area because that's where all the travellers gathered and got to know each other. We drank, we played games, we laughed, we shared trip tips. The staff would also eat with us and would offer us to share in their homemade meals. It didn't matter that the wifi only worked in the common room because it forced everyone to socialize! The Mavi is in a great location within walking distance to most major sites. It is well priced. They offer a low cost shuttle to and from the airport. It is very homey and the staff are the most gracious and helpful people you'll ever meet. I plan on returning to the Mavi again in the future. My daughter and I agreed that this was the best trip we had ever been on and part of the reason behind that was the MAVI! We met so many fabulous travellers from different parts of the world. There were couples, backpackers, families with young children. We were quite a diverse and interesting mix. Awesome people. If you want luxury and state of the art TVs in your room, this is not the place for you. If you want to feel at home away from home, then come to the Mavi.

Room Tip: We stayed in three different rooms, on the second floor. All were adequate and comfortable. Clean sh...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ExpressCheckOut
Svendborg, Denmark
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well, it might be the same thing for every guesthouse/hostel/hotel in the world that they intend to make money, but I've never stayed in a place where it was more obvious before.

By the time I went there, they had a promotion price on HostelBookers which was without breakfast, but every single time I saw people stepping in from the street, they didn't tell them that they had a promotion on the website, and charged them the normal room rate INCLUDING breakfast - and didn't even tell them about the two different options.

The only common area at the hostel is a 10m2 room with one table and the only place where the wifi works - so you can imagine how crowded and stuffy it gets during the evening. They sell 1 type of beer and some sodas, but don't allow you to bring anything from outside.
At midnight they decide to close this area which means everyone gets forced to go to bed or pay for the provided pub-crawl. IT'S THE FIRST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED DURING MY 14 MONTHS OF BACKPACKING THAT DOESN'T HAVE A 24 HOUR COMMON AREA. The staff even sleeps next to the common area, so what is the problem people sit and relax during the night time? Are you afraid they will steal from the fridge?

To be fair, the roof top is nice when the weather is good, and it seems to be the only place where you're able to stay 24 hours - unfortunately without wifi coverage. The hostel has an amazing location which makes me pass an extra star than originally intended.
It is a good room rate which was the only reason I stayed for as long as I did, but they tend to insist on selling you accommodation including breakfast unless you tell them that you have seen the price cheaper on hostelbookers - so remember to check.

MAVI GUESTHOUSE: If you fix the wifi throughout the whole property and keep the common area open 24 hours, you might raise an extra star.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

the advantage of the guest house was the fact that it was reasonably cheap for its location.The staff were very friendly and helpful and it was a nice place to meet fellow back packers. However, the room wasn't great and it had bright light coming through the window all night. The shower and the toilet weren't cleaned in the 3 days I stayed and one of them had a dripping tap which made the whole place flood. The bunk beds in the dorm had really squeaky mattress, which kept me and others in the room up all night. the breakfast was ok, not fantastic, but thats the standard in the bed and breakfast type places in Turkey.

Room Tip: ask the fellow travellers about tips for travelling in turkey. most have been around and can give yo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Mavi Guesthouse has the best location, right near Topkapi Palace, 5-10 min walking to the Hagia Sophia & Blue Mosque, and less than 10 min walking to the Sultanahmet tram stop, convenient for the 3 weeks we spent in Istanbul. Maybe it's because we're a quiet sort of couple (not into the night scene or too much socializing) but the owner seemed a bit distant while we were there, and didn't prove very helpful when we were having trouble with our bus booking except to tell us we should've booked through them instead (uh, well, it was too late...). The rest of the staff was wonderful, very friendly and welcoming. Carolina taught me how to play backgammon. When the lock on our private room broke, they responded quickly by having the lock replaced by the next day. When our heater wasn't working, they brought in a portable one within 10 min. But, as you can see, the guesthouse strikes me as an older house, prone to things breaking (the bathroom lock & toilet broke at different times). If you're short, taking a shower is kind of difficult since the hooks to hang clothes on were WAY out of my reach (and I don't fancy walking around wrapped only in a towel). The room we had was a bit small & the wifi was intermittent, but we don't need much & the common area had fast-enough wifi. The breakfast was the same each day but very good and you can have as much as you want so it's good to fill up for a long day of sight-seeing. It's a good value for the price we paid.

Room Tip: If you want good wifi, choose the room on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Mavi is the only place I will ever stay when visiting Istabul, located literally steps from the entrance of the palace in the Old City, there is nothing that compares to it for value for money !
Mavi is the most welcoming host and we made so many good friends during our short stay.. it really does feel like home in an incredible city !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Macau, China
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Mavi Guesthouse made my trip to Istanbul. Everyone who worked there was incredibly sweet and accommodating, even when I had a mix up with my flight. The beds were clean, my stuff felt secure and lockers were available if necessary. Breakfast was simple but delicious each morning and was definitely filling. I can't thank Mavi Guesthouse enough for everything they did for me during my short stay in Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo