“My hotel of choice in Istanbul for over 12 years”
Review of Maya Hotel

Ranked #456 of 1,140 Hotels in Istanbul
Arlington, Virginia
“My hotel of choice in Istanbul for over 12 years”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

In 2001 I first stayed at Hotel Maya. It was a simple, down-to-earth place which was not geared to the upscale traveler. It was very clean, offered comfortable if not enormous rooms, had a very friendly staff, offered a morning Turkish buffet breakfast, and was reasonably priced. During each of my subsequent annual stays in the hotel, I have noticed wonderful changes: a completely redesigned entry way, major renovations of the rooms, a complete modernization of the bathrooms, new flooring throughout each of the floors, a sparkling new elevator, and a redesign of the breakfast buffet space The hotel's basic advantages still remain fully in place: cleanliness, friendliness of staff, the bounty of the buffet breakfast, and the reasonable price. As for the hotel's location: it is ideally positioned, within easy walking distance of some of the main sights (Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Süleymanye Mosque) and with equally convenient access to major tram, bus, and subway lines (including the new line connecting the European and Asian sides of the city). In short, for the budget-minded traveler who is looking for good quality at a reasonable price, the Hotel Maya is perfect. I can recommend it unequivocally.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 1Clarendon2
MayaOteli, Sahibi at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.As a regular guest, you can think the Maya Hotel is your home in Istanbul.
We hope you will come back and we will be glad to see you again soon.

Kindly regards,

Bekir Savas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I (29yrs) was travelling there with my mum last month and we were both amazed by the friendlyness of the staff.

In all departments, starting from breakfast service over reception to housekeeping the staff was naturally very friendly and we felt like being in the right place.

The style and standard of the rooms/restaurant is comparable to a 4 stars hotel and very charming, absolutely clean and the mini bar offers some juices and water for free.

Walking distance to hagia sofia and blue mosqe is about 20 min, but it´s a nice walk that offers loads of souvenir shopping, metro is also available. taxis are quite cheap in istanbul. a taxi to taksim takes about 15min but unfortunately i can´t remember the rate.
I´d come back anytime and highly recommend that charming hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
MayaOteli, Yönetici at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Maya for your previous stay in Istanbul.
Also special thanks for your feedback about your stay. I am very glad to hear that you were happy about your stay with us.
I would like to tell you, your feedbacks are very important for us to improve our service quality and hope to be your host again in your future trips to Istanbul.

Yours sincerely,

Onder Tokyay
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Very good hotel. Great customer service. They take good care of their customers. If you are new to the city, the people in the reception are ready to help you in any case. Breakfast provided by them was too good. And our room and bathroom were clean and tidy. Everything was perfect. Worth your money.
Best regards,
Sindhu

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
MayaOteli, Genel Müdür at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the nice comments that you made about our stuff and Maya Hotel. I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay at our hotel.
Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path.
I do hope to see you at our hotel again in the near future.

Best regards.
Reviewed 3 July 2013

If you are looking for a very helpful polite staff, clean hotel , near by all the interesting destinations of old Istanbul , lots of choices regarding restuarants , then I recommend Maya hotel , it's suitable for families , singles , and others.
I would like to thank all the staff of Maya hotel.
Lena ASaad

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lena A
MayaOteli, Owner at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Dr.Lena,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We're very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us. As a regular guest, you can think the Maya Hotel is your home in Istanbul.
We hope you will come back and we will be glad to see you again soon.

Kİndly regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I really don't have any positive things to say about this hotel other than the rooms were clean. Upon arrival, the bell hop guy broke my luggage handle by lifting my luggage by the handle as opposed to properly lifting it and all I got was a shrug, after they said they would try to fix it. I spent the next couple of days looking for a good luggage.

The biggest problem I had with this hotel was the staff. Only 1 staff out of all the staff in this hotel spoke english. Any questions I had or concerns I had was either not answered or not dealt with properly because the staff could not speak english.

Location is okay if you like being in a congested area with the streets filled with dozens of hotels and shop owners and restaurants trying to rip you off. Be cautious of nearby restaurants who advertise one set of prices and then you get a bill with a different set of prices. This happened to us and when we disputed the price, first the waiter said we were wrong and when we persisted, he admitted it was a "mistake". Be cautious of menues with prices written in erasable makers.

This was by far my least favourite location to stay in Istanbul - I stayed in about 4 different locations.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mary1084
MayaOteli, Front Office Manager at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Maya Hotel Istanbul.

We were very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel and would apologise for this negative experience.

Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sincerely
Mehmet Genc
Front Office Manager
Maya Hotel Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My first time in istanbul and travelling solo . The hotel was close to Lalei district ,3 tram stops to Sultanahmet or 20 mins walk . Hotel lovely , wifi , great breakfast , air con , staff very helpful .

2 streets off the main street but with lots of shops , bars , hotels and restruants perfect for eating and relaxing after a busy days sight seeing

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank fawkey1
MayaOteli, Manager at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review and it is very nice and important for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We will be very glad to see you again in Istanbul and in Maya Hotel

Kind regards
Odessa, Ukraine
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hello all future visitors to Istanbul!
We have just returned from Istanbul. I would like to give my comments on the hotel and I will try to be short and sweet.
Location: Wonderful. It is 20 minutes walk from the main square with all the sightseeings. And this 20 minutes walk will lie through very attarctive sightseeings, which will be hard to see if you live just in the heart of the city. The region of the hotel is quite quiet, it is a kind of trading field with a lot of different shops in the vicinity. If you don't like walking, you can have a tram ride (tram line lies just 3 minutes from the hotel door) Taxi ride to Galata bridge cost us around 15 TL (that is 7 EUR).
Staff: Great guys, helpful, smiling and cheerful.
Food: I don't get the idea of the previous visitors about the varienty of food. My family could always easily find something to eat starting from fruits and vegetables, to nice cold and hot dishes and snacks, backery, plus desserts. I have many times been to European 3 star hotels with really poor food choice. Therefore, I can justly say that breakfasts were at a good decent level.
Room: Small, but just the right size to feel comfortable. The most important thing is that it is super clean!!!!! Thanks to cleaning staff. I like the modern system of "Don't disturb" and "Make up my room")))) Hot water is availabe 24/7 and with great stream!
Summing up, I would like to recommend you this place and feel those positive emotions we had while staying at Maya hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank MariaGotovkina
MayaOteli, Manager at Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Mrs.Gotovkina,
Thank you for excellent review regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We hope you will come back and we will be glad to see you again soon.

Kind regards