“Classic Turkish Bath”

and up
Full-Day City Tour of Istanbul with Lunch
Ranked #6 of 221 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: One of several Turkish baths in the city, the same architect responsible for the Blue Mosque designed this one.
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This is a once in a lifetime experience. As you enter to this place there is a giant steam room with a giant round hot marble stone in the center. You are wearing only a towel. If you pay for it this person will give you a Turkish Bath. He will scrub your skin with a special towel and then he will soap your skin and your hair. Very unique and very relaxing. After you are finish they let you shower. A must do experience. My wife did it too and she loved it...!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,374)
All reviews
"bath house"
"authentic experience"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our cruise ship stopped in Istanbul for the day and we wanted to take a different kind of shore excursion. After looking on the net and confirming on email that Cemberlitas was family friendly we decided to try it out. (Even though the three males in our family were sceptical to say the least) We took the bubble wash and oil massage. I don´t think that I have ever sweated so much before just doing nothing. After a good warm up on the stone, my daughter and I were washed and scrubbed with buckets of bubbles and a loafa cloth we were then rinsed off and allowed to cool down in the jaquzzi room. We did not feel rushed at all. We then continued on to our oil massage. Top to toe treatment, very satisfied and my skin has not felt so baby soft as it did after that. The boys' experience was just as enjoyable and they are glad that they got to experience it. Afterwards we walked to the Basillica Cistern (7 minute walk) and wandered around it for an hour or so. Then a local lunch in a typical Turkish restaurant. Everyone got to see what they were ordering. Delicious. And afterwards we walked back to the Grand Bazar for a couple hours of shopping in the maze of shops. A fantastic day, in a city full of life. It definately gave us a desire to return and explore more of Istanbul.

2  Thank jokrnoway
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

It's a must do but leave your inhibitions at the door. Amazing experiance and the massage was the best ever. My skin has never felt so good after it. All rather odd unless for speak Turkish which we didn't as you have no idea where or what you are suppose to do next...they just point.

2  Thank JMAK69
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A friend of mine recommended this hammam as an Istanbul must, so I went. It was an interesting experience, but not worth the money - 30 euros for a fairly short scrub and bubble wash. The venue is what makes it most interesting, considering it's an original hammam from the time of the sultans. I felt good afterwards and don't regret going, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. Get suggestions for other ones that are not as expensive.

As for the service, while the women weren't rude, they weren't particularly friendly or helpful, either. If you are bothered by nudity, this is likely not the right place for you, as women are topless, including many of the ones working there.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 August 2012

From reading other reviews I had hoped to have a better experience. It was a huge disappointment.

They rushed me to the changing room. After undressing, a woman, without even a hello or smile, grabbed my token and washcloth and tried to get me to the wash area. I explained that i needed to use the restroom first. She was cool and kept talking to another customer. After the restroom I was told to lie on a large round marble platform with my feet right next to another woman's head. And then the next customer was placed in such a way that her feet touched my head because she was so close. Why couldn't they place us at least 6 inches apart??? There were only about 8 of us with plenty of room.

The person who bathed me didn't even greet me. She went right to business. My scrub lasted about 10 to 12 minutes total. It felt good but way too short. I've had Korean baths in the united states and they are much more thorough and longer lasting.

After the bubbly scrub I was told about the jacuzzi. The room was restful. The hot water bath was warm and the jet stream barely palpable.

The experience felt as though we are simply slabs of flesh to generate money for the owner. At least, couldn't the staff be taught a little in the way of customer service, e.g. smiling and saying hello, welcome, and asking "how was your experience?" on the way out?

3  Thank Three S