“The hospitality & warmth of Sari Konak inspired the poet in me!”
Review of Hotel Sari Konak

Hotel Sari Konak
Ranked #173 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My plan was to stay only 5 nights and then to change hotels, but upon arrival I fell in love with the warm ambiance and positive aura that radiates throughout. From the polite front desk managers to the smiling house keepers everyone was so friendly, kind and sincere that before my reservation was due to end, I knew I could not leave! so I extended my stay. I had the pleasure and privileged to experience 2 different suites, 1 deluxe and 1 standard room(s) during my stay and each was outstandingly clean, elegantly decorated, peacefully spacious.

I cant express enough how welcomed i was made felt... not just because of starting each day with the five star amazing breakfast served by lovely housemaids and polite chef, but also the considerate, professional and accommodating approach of all the staff towards my inconsistent activities of coming and going as I pleased in very early or late hours, even having several local visitors coming to see me or calling at odd times… not once did I receive a frown or even the slightest negative attitude. [ kind note for the previous mannen_s reviewer, I don’t fit the ‘rich and white’ category either yet all I witnessed was Grace, serenity, warm hospitality] In fact I was so pleased with everything about this hotel that I realized my Istanbul experience was highlighted due to the secure home-base that Sari Konak provided.

Further, on my flight back home I found myself writing, to my surprise what turned out to be a poem! Thank you Sari Konak for bringing out the poet in me!

SARI KONAK
S-incerely you welcomed me, and treated me as an honored guest…
A-llowing me to safely and comfortably rest,
R-eassuring me with your assistance and genuine hospitality..
I-stanbul became pure pleasure for me to explore in serenity!

K-ind, honest, respectful and loving staff, with smiles so sweet!
O-ttoman bath in suite 501, ocean views on your terrace, such a special treat!
N-utritious breakfast in your beautiful garden, with all you can eat!
A-uthentic ambience, with 5 star service and rooms with fine décor …
K-ey location, quality service and affordable price! who can ask for more!!!

May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank emine a

Reviewed 2 June 2012

We found the location of the hotel very convenient for exploring many of the major tourist attractions within walking distance. The hotel was very clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The breakfasts were delicious and served in a beautiful breakfast room downstairs or one could eat outside in a courtyard area (weather permitting). A highlight was having a drink on the roof terrace at sunset, watching ships at sea or looking at the blue mosque. It was also spectacular to see the views from the roof terrace at night with the blue mosque illuminated. The staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. They also helped with bookings of tours and restaurants they recommended which was really appreciated. It felt as if nothing was too much trouble. We booked our airport transfers through the hotel which was convenient and hassle-free. We will definitely stay there again when we return to Istanbul one day.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room - comfortable bed but not a large room and shower only in bathroom. Consid...
Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bucketlist101
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Hotel Sari Konak is a member of the Association of Historical & Boutique Hoteliers of Turkey and it absolutely lives by both of these characteristics. The rooms are beautiful and spotless. The bathroom was shining, the room was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have stayed at, and the furniture was beautiful. The staff were great: we asked for maps, wake-up calls, etc. and we were always serviced in a timely and cordial manner. We even had a few laughs with the owner of the hotel at breakfast one morning. The breakfast was spectacular: fresh fruit and vegetables, amazing yoghurt, awesome cheeses, nuts, pastries, delicious jams... We couldn't wait to go into the cosy but serenely elegant dining room and enjoy our breakfast every morning. This is an ideal hotel for first time travelers to Istanbul. The hotel is 5-10 minutes from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome, the Underground Cistern, and other major sights, and is located right in the heart of Sultanahment, which is Istanbul's Old Town. It is also close to the main thoroughfare of the area, Divan Yolu (the street with the tram lines), which has money exchange places, little convenience stores, and Ottoman cuisine restaurants (the latter serve heaps of delicious Turkish food for very cheap). In short, highly recommended and fondly remembered!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1BigBear
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed twice at the Sari Konak Hotel this spring, I am an architect an was surprised for its nice , sober and elegant decor: all wooden floors , pastel colors and rooms with light. The managment is cordial and helpfull ,a well served breakfast in a cozy room by a patio where you can eat outside if the weather allows, perfect to begin the day. The rates are very competitive for the what is offered in a very convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Noradicha
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We found the legendary Turkish grace and warmth entirely missing at this hotel. It's a pity that these folks are even in the hospitality business. Some examples -- complete unwillingness to help with simple directions and suggestions, cold almost unfriendly responses to questions, refusing to look up and acknowledge us even as we were handing over keys at the reception. We weren't sure if we didn't fit the staff's "rich and white" category or it was just a case of disgruntled, unmotivated employees.One particular bald gentleman was the most unpleasant of them all. We had a tough time figuring out why we were being treated this way, and wondered if we should have a chat with the owner but decided against it. I think we made a huge mistake with this particular hotel and would not recommend it to anyone visiting Istanbul. Please stay elsewhere - you will probably pay much less and see a friendly face at the reception as you leave to explore the city every morning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank manan_s
Byzas, Owner at Hotel Sari Konak, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

As the owner of the hotel, I am terribly sad to read this review.
We have been in service since 1996 and for the first time, I received such a bad comment about the hotel staff. We had received few complaints about the rooms,breakfast etc but never a complaint about the staff. We have over 400 comments on Tripadvisor and even few guests who were not completely satisfied with their stay, admitted that the staff were very friendly. However,in this case we are accused to be racist, which is totally unacceptable. The statement "...We didn't fit the staff's 'rich and white' category..." is very disturbing for me.
We receive many guests from all around the world and their comments can be found on Tripadvisor as well. If my staff had discriminated against some guests, I think, it would have been noticed by guests before and above all, as the owner of the hotel,by myself !!! There is no need to mention that I would never continue to work with someone like this...
When I read the other reviews, I see that guests mention that the staff is very friendly and helpful and most of them even mention the names of the staff in their comments.
I actually do not know who wrote this comment and to better understand what was the problem and what caused them to write such a comment, I sent them a message through Tripadvisor.
I asked what exactly happened with the staff and also asked their check-in/out dates.
In their review, they say : " We wondered if we should have a chat with the owner, but decided against it". When I read this, I thought they had things to say and it would be good to listen to them before posting a management response. I waited for a reply for 5 days but never heard from them. I think that someone who is serious and constructive about his/her criticism, would be happy with the fact that their problem is seriously taken care of by the hotel owner and at least would write a reply.
I think that this review is not objective at all.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

There are so many hotels in the tourist hot spot that is Sultanahmet that it is hard to choose a base. The Sari Konak is small, well appointed and perfectly located with restaurants and shops all around. The main sights are just five minutes away. Service is friendly and efficient, with a good briefing (including a useful city map) on arrival. Breakfasts, a typically Turkish spread, is top notch for both variety and freshness.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front can suffer from some street noise, but it's a quiet area from about midnight...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAS907
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my 75yr old mother in May and from the initial queries about availability to the end of our stay the service was excellent.

We were welcomed very warmly by Mustafa and were pleasantly surprised by our room. We headed straight up to the wonderful roof terrace for a drink and were again warmly welcomed by Hassan. And from that point on we were treated like part of the family. Restaurant recommendations ( all good ), tourist questions, silly questions or just a general chat about Istanbul or life.

Stay here - you won't be disappointed! Location is fabulous, people wonderful! Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2012