“THE WORSE HOTEL EVER !!! La peor experiencia !”
Review of Kariye Hotel

Kariye Hotel
Ranked #957 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Graz, Steiermark, Austria
“THE WORSE HOTEL EVER !!! La peor experiencia !”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

THE WORSE HOTEL EVER !! I spent some nights there, and was the worse experience ever.
Dont misunderstand my negative comment, really, im not a bad person trying, i always try to help, but this... really wow... is the first time i make this kind of negative comment on something.
1. REALLY REALLY DIRTY
2. Its an old hotel, i can understand that, but DIRTY...?? and i mean, really Dirty, i got allergy and was sick during my time in istanbul.
3. The beds were really old and with holes.
4. when i got a shower water was yelow, can you imagine have a shower waching that the floor is Rusty, and then see that you are showering with yelow water??? really discusting !!
5. The price is not even reasonable, up to 60Euros
6. But the worse really was the service.
When i came to the desk to say that Yellow water was in the Shower, they told me (with any concert) "Is not our trouble, the internal pipes are rusty" !! and then when i said about the dirty the room was, they called a old lady, very humble, when i saw her face my heart just died, and they started to scream at her ! i just tryed to stop the situation saying that "no problem, every thing its ok" trying to divert the attention, for not provocate the stupid manager to fire the poor lady.
Every thing was really bad, the service, the manager, the dirt... BUT The way the manager screamed to the poor lady was the worse thing you can see in some human, one just dont do that !! The worse experience ever !
I Guaranty that this opinion is not false !

Room Tip: Simplemente busquen otro hotel y paguen taxi si quieren ver el museo Kariye ! Just look for anothe...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruno C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Moscow
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This hotel is value for money! we booked a room through the booking.com and it was twice cheaper than in the hotel. Though the rooms are not perfect, it`s clean, the staff is very friendly and always ready to help. And the location of the hotel is perfect: it`s in the old part of Istanbul, which is very beautiful and all the attractions are located in this part. Besides, you can buy everything here much cheaper and to eat cheaper ( around 10 TL for two person!).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alena T
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Kariye Hotel in November 2012. I booked through an online company, paying 64 Euros in total, including all taxes and breakfast. For an increasingly expensive city like Istanbul, I thought this represented excellent value for money. However, as many reviewers have correctly pointed out, the hotel is not in one of the main tourist centres, being close to the Edirnekapi, one of the gates in the old city walls. Apart from Asitane, the highly-regarded restaurant attached to the hotel, there really are no decent restaurants in the vicinity.

The hotel itself is an attractive wooden building on several floors. My room (a twin-bedded one) was small but quite adequate, being simply furnished, with a minibar, a TV (with only one English language channel, I think) and free wi-fi Internet access, with a reasonably fast connection. My bed was comfortable and I slept well, there being virtually no noise from the street. I noticed that there was no air-conditioning in the room, which would have been a real problem in warmer weather. The bathroom was also small and definitely needs refurbishment, although everything in it worked and there was no shortage of hot water. I thought that the breakfast - not a buffet one - was above standard for a hotel in this price bracket. The staff I met were pleasant and correct.

As most reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is right next door to the Kariye Camii, a former church and mosque which is now home to one of the city's most impressive museums. It is a treasure house of 14th century Byzantine mosaics and frescoes, some of which are absolutely outstanding. The museum, by the way, is closed on Wednesdays. The old city walls are also nearby (only a five minute walk). To get to anywhere else, however, you'll need to take a taxi or use the 'bus. The nearest 'bus stop is five minutes' walk from the hotel and there are frequent 'buses to Eminonu, Besiktas and Taksim. You can't buy tickets on board 'buses, so I would advise buying an Akbil card, an electronic travel pass which can be used on all types of public transport, except minibuses and 'dolmuses'; these cards can be re-charged at Akbil machines.

Although I would recommend the Kariye Hotel (which, incidentally, was recommended to me by a Turkish friend), I think that if/when I visit Istanbul again, I shall opt for a hotel a bit closer to the main sights. I found that I spent rather more time on 'buses than I would have wished to do - more often standing than sitting.

By the way, to get to the hotel from Ataturk Airport, take the metro to Topkapi-Ulubatli Station and from there take a taxi to the hotel (only 5 to 6 TL before midnight). This is considerably cheaper than taking one all the way from the airport, which lies 25 km west of the city centre.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Cosmo44
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I could not understand why my parntner picked this hotel - it was totally out the way of the main drag and I got the feeling more than once that it wasa bit of an effort to see the sights of Istanbul when residing here. There is of course a beautiful church next door which is more than worth a visit. Thre are some beautiful early Christian mosaics to be seen there.
Anyway back to the hotel! The breakfast wasa excellent , loads of choice and the food was fresh and plenty of it. However when it came near the end of service even getting hot water for a cupof tea became a problem. For me this was a blot on an otherwise good quality restaurant.
Our room was rather charming and featured a single bed and double bed. It had a little fridge too. My only complaint was the bathroom - small and a bit grubby - which is an unfortunate feature of many Turkish bathrooms I have visited. I do wish they would learn to use bleach!!!
Most of the major attractions were a long walk or a taxi ride away. You could walk along the main street which had many, many bridal shops (maybe he was trying to hint at something? Lol) and a number of Turkish cafes and restaurants selling low cost snacks and cakes and a couple of mosques to visit.
There was also a pay phone right outside the hotel which made phone calls easy rather than using your mobile
The hotel wasn't nearly as handy as staying in Sultanahmet where we had stayed several times previously, but it was good value for money

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stupidname
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We booked this hotel for the last night of a 2 week turkey trip and it turned out to be our biggest mistake. When we reached there - we were met with surly staff - the ONLY service person with attitude I encountered in 2 weeks in Turkey. Then we were told we were not in the main building but the annex - which we found out was a old and crumbling building. The room was a disaster -
-The wallpaper was peeling off, the windows and door handles were almost broken and required super human force to open!
-We had asked for a double bed - and we were put in a room with three beds and told this is the only one available.
-The promised 'wi-fi' didn't work - when complained - there was no action.
- There was no hot water - and when we asked the reception - you're the only room with the problem! So deal with it!!
- the TV in the room was from 1980s including TV top antena with the same old reception quality - suddenly made me think of bad TVdays during storms when I was a child!!
- the next day breakfast again was below average ....
We left as soon as we could - prefer to spend time at the airport rather than this hotel!

Net, if you want to have a good experience in Istanbul, avoid this hotel. There are many better places where you can get a taste of the famed Turkish hospitality and amazing Turkish cusine.

Room Tip: We were put in an hotel annex. If you do end up staying at the hotel - try to avoid the annex and tr...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pyxdust

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The restaurant staff were very rude, they chased the guests out of the restaurant after breakfast: they served breakfast until 10am and at 10:25 they chased us and another couple of people out of the restaurant before we finished our meals and drinks.
This is totally shocking, i never heard of such behavior anywhere else.
I told them to wait 5 minutes (since they are waiters, anyway), until we finish our meals, but they came one after another to tell us to stand up. Then I called the manager and told him i will put a bad review on booking.com and tripadvisor... they didnt care.

Maybe they were expecting us to pay them some tips... but the breakfast was included in room charge.

The receptionists were very nice though....

And surprisingly, it has no aircon, and it is difficult to sleep during summer, is very hot.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcel74
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The room size was reasonable and the beds were good, but it went downhill from there. The bathroom was a disaster -- dirty and dysfunctional. The sheets were too small for the beds. I made the mistake of looking under the bed for something I had dropped -- it obviously had not been cleaned for months. Location depends on your tastes -- we are experienced travellers and I enjoyed not being in the touristy areas, and it is right beside the absolutely spectacular Church of the Chora, but it is not an upscale neighborhood and others might be less comfortable being there. The hotel has potential but needs to have serious money spent on a complete refurbishing. By contrast, the restaurant in the hotel is very good, serving authentic Ottoman cuisine in a lovely setting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple