“Not a great experience despite good reviews” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cordial House Hotel
Ranked #70 of 1,175 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
St John's, Canada
“Not a great experience despite good reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

This place has generally good reviews, so I was a bit surprised when we got there and our double private room was a broom closet with 2 beds chucked in. There was hardly any room for our bags, everything was on the beds. I saw other rooms though and they were nice enough, we were just unlucky. They offered us free breakfast since the room was so bad which was nice of them I suppose. To be fair, it was pretty cheap, 26 euros a night for both of us (shared bathroom). I was not very happy when we paid 6 euros for a load of launry doing and a dress came back in such terrible condition I had to wash it again myself. I suggest just doing your own washing in the shower. Drinks in the hostel are expensive and nobody was around when we were there so don't expect much fun. One thing that was nice was I liked a picture in the common room and asked if I could have it (brazen as I am) and they actually gave it to me (provided I got them another picture, which I did at the Buk Pazar for 10 lira).

• Liked — Good location, near all sites.
  • Disliked — Terrible room, very small.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2008

Good: Price, location, friendly staff, bar, internet access.

We were 5 people and rented a dorm room. We payed only for 5 beds (good!), but the room was very simple. 4 bunk beds, one window high up on the wall. No A/C, which was ok since the weather in Istanbul was surprisingly cool at the time, but I would't have stayed in that room two weeks later, when the heat wave came.

All in all: a decent place for young backpackers who want a cheap room with good location and the possibility of meeting other travellers in the bar on the ground floor.

• Liked — Location, price, staff.
  • Disliked — Ugly room.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DELHI, INDIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2008

I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights on Feb 18/19, 2008 with my wife and adult daughter. I had booked this room through venere.com.

Although it was supposed to be a triple bed room, it turned out to be a 4 bed room located on the first floor. The rate was euro 45 per night for 3 persons with breakfast.

Firstly, the hotel is superbly located. Its 5 minutes walk from sultanahmet and 10 minutes walk to the blue mosque. the grand bazar is one tram stop away and at a walkable distance.

The room was on the first floor and it was a large room with an attach toilet. The room was basic, but it was clean and comfortable and toilet was fine too. The towels were clean and of good quality.

There is nothing to complain about this place...its great for its price and location. The breakfast was good: olives, cheese, bread, honey, jam, butter and coffee. Quite filling and in ample quantity.

There is an information desk in the hotel and it makes it very helpful.

There are enough places to eat in and around this place, and most areas of tourists' interest are close by. Would certainly recommend this place.

Incidentally, there is a bar in the hostel but it does not disturb the residents.

• Liked — the location and the price
  • Disliked — the colours are very loud
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2008

the people are nice, but it can be crowded during high season.
I stayed with my girlfriend in a double room with toilet. it was clean, but not big room. the price we paid was much lower than the one stated at the entrance, since we had booked before hand.
the dorms are not so good.
the breakfast is simple and very good, traditional turkish.
has a quite central location walkable distances to grand bazar and the sultanamet.

• Stayed November 2005
vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2007

The hospitality I received from Cordial House is enormous. The manager, Tugrul Gokce and staff made me feel I was at home in Canada. The warmth and the friendly gestures are overwhelming I feel I lived in a house instead of an hotel. The rooms are clean, every request is attended to without delay, request for trips and advise for travel are well provided and most staff you can converse lengthily even when they are busy. WHen I left a LIRA coin in my laundry, they honestly handed me back the coin. When I asked for a shuttle to the airport, there is no delay. When I request my luggages to be stored, no problem, they will take care of it. If you compare the rates they charge with other hostels, Cordial House is reasonable considering the closeness of the top attractions such as the Turkish Bazaar, Topkapi, Ble Mosque, Cistern Underground, the tram, and the Turkish baths. I will remember my stay in Istanbul as the brightest shining jewel in the entire travels I have had for so many years. I feel the Turkish people as one of the friendliest ever I have met in my travels. I won so many friends in my visits to Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Ephesus, Taksim Square Istiklial Caddesi etc. The movie Midnight Express of so many years ago was wrong. The way the western press focuses right now on the war fronts between the Turks and the Kurds in the south are blown out of proportion. I am very proud that this country retains the tradition and discipline of its history and culture. When my plane flew from Istanbul, I had a lump in my throat, thinking that I am leaving behind the warmth and friendly citizens of this country.
Tugkrul and company, thank you so much- BAL (my name means HONEY in Turkish language) In Canada's French language, it means a ballroom.
email: baldomero99@hotmail.com

• Liked — friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — clean rooms and quiet atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank baldomeroVancouver
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

Hmm, if you are determined to stay in Sultanahmet (and public transport in Istanbul is so cheap and simple there's really no need) then splah out 10EUR more and stay closer to the Hippodrome with a stunning view from one of the rooftop restaurants.

I was totally underwhelmed by the Cordial House, as an experienced and realistic traveller. There is no airconditioning - not a problem in June, but probably something you'd like in the height of summer - the walls (bright pink and purple...) are paper thin (loved those Slovakian girls next door after they'd been on the booze at 3am), the sheets on all the three single beds in the room were torn and filthy, and the bathroom was grim and dank. I might have felt better if I had a dorm instead of a single: but the singles were over-priced, over-lit, under-supplied and vile.

This was my first time in Istanbul, but as I'll be travelling through there a couple of times a month until the end of the year, I have researched other options. The staff - with the exception of one guy - were surly, unfriendly and unhelpful, and the bar was dead. I really wouldn't recommend staying here unless you were in a super-cheap dorm bed - it lacks atmosphere, is very poor value for money and even the closeness to the tram stop and the sites can't make up for this.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The price, the dirt, the lack of atmosphere...
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo