“Great Location for old city and great staff, just small room.”

and 1 more site!
Poem Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #598 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Poem Hotel

This hotel is in an excellent location if you're into visiting the old city. It's off the main strip, but only by a few steps, so it's quiet without being too far from the action. Not that there is a lot of action other than a strip of shops and restaurants. Reminds me of a small town main street. Poem is just a short walk from two of the major tourist attractions of the area, the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia, both of which are on either side of Sultanhamet square which is a fun place to hang out and people watch, day or night. Also at Sultanhamet square is a Tram stop so you can easily access public transportation after a short walk from the hotel.

The service from the staff was fine. Arma (I think that's how you spell his name), the night desk clerk, Selma (day desk clerk) and Adrian (manager) were all very nice and helpful giving directions, calling taxis. They were all really pleasurable to deal with. My flight arrived early (about 6:30AM) and my room was availabe. Arma checked me in and I wasn't charged any extra money. Very nice.

The hotel itself is very quaint and reminds me of a Bed and Breakfast or a small boutique hotel. Tastefully decorated, with an awesome terrace where you eat breakfast or as I did, worked on my laptop and had a beer or three.

My room was fine, nice clean and modern. The bed was fine too. One thing, it is a very very small room. Everything was in miniature. Very close quarters. The shower stall was tiny. Probably 80 centimeters by 80 centimeters. I'm an average sized guy with a slight beer belly and I found it very tight. So if you've got some girth, I would suggest another hotel.

Only other minor complaint I have is the variety of the breakfast. I was there for 4 days and 3 nights, and the breakfast barely changed at all. Having said that, what was served was very nice, particularly a feta, sesame and dill mixture that was delicious.

Definitely recommended if you're not too large of a person.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank undergrooveN
There are newer reviews for Poem Hotel Istanbul

Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. It is right in the heart of all that you want to see in Sultanahmet and with good restaurants around. (We ate at Metropolis and Albura Kathisma, both very good.)
The loveliest part of this hotel was that although it is in a busy touristy area, it is very calm. Our room was small, but had everything we needed and wanted and was softly decorated with a few pretty touches. They use the space efficiently. Everything actually looked new. We felt very at home. It was particularly nice to see the calm simple decoration after seeing a lot of sights which are highly ornamented. It gives your eyes and mind a rest. The breakfast was good. They had coffee as well as tea. Eating outside was fun and there were adorable little birds around trying to beg for the occasional crumb. The mini bar prices were better than at other hotels. There was even a hair dryer, an air conditioner, and a television. The staff were very friendly and always smiled at us. They speak English.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This smart, cosy and wonderful hotel makes your stay in this amazing city even more wonderful: the hotel is best located in Sulthanamet. Few minutes walking from the main attractions, just 2 minutes off the bustling restaurant and cafe street, where you can find a selection in prices and tastes for everybody. The hotel staff is amazingly nice and helpful and this small spot in Istanbul just makes the stay even more confortable. The hotel is very clean, has a wonderful terrace in middle of nature and with a beautiful view on the bosphurus where a RICH breakfast is served. I really recommend this place: prices are more than correct and also airport transportation is to book for arrival/departure. I had a visit during my stay in the hotel, and a bed was arranged for my guest: no charge extra not even for brakfast. I really had a grat time. THANK YOU and hope to come back soon!
Sascha

Room Tip: Rooms with view on bosphurus!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2012

we have just got back from staying at the poem hotel for ten nights, this hotel is not for you if you want to spend time in your room as turkey overall is known for it's small room's however it is in the perfect location for exploring sultanahmet and the surrounding areas clean nicely decorated great breakfast great staff rooftop terrace fantastic sea views and turn round to see the blue mosque and hagia sofia enjoyed it immensley

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Spent eight days in this lovely little hotel in August. They were perfect. Every member of the staff attentive in the best sorts of ways, absolutely sumptuous breakfasts - seriously, folks, the food in this hotel is spectacular. Meatless, but splendid and beautiful. The rooms are lovely and spotless, the cats are smart and intuitive and just enough "there" to be fun for most of us and tolerable for the rest. Our colleague, after visiting us at the Poem, moved there as well, and he is a renowned professor and lecturer, hence the reason for our trip. The hotel is well within walking distance of the major attractions, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sofia, and not far from the Market, but tucked into a little area of the city that is almost village-like. Really excellent bathroom, large shower, no tub. Housekeeping has a knack for knowing precisely when to show up. It's perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms in these little boutique hotels are small. Ours included twin beds, which were fine for women...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Great value, friendly staff, unbeatable location yet still quiet. Just dont book it too much as we want to go back! Neat rooms, various terraces sith water views, good breakfast and just an easy stroll from the traditional tourist haunts. We also paid great prices.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

We spend 8 nights at The Poem Hotel and we have been absolutely delighted with our stay. The hotel has a terrace with a splendid view over the Bospherus. The staff is very friendly and attentive to provide service. A double room is about 500 dkr. or 52. £ per night.

• Stayed: August 2012