“Ëxceptional !!”

Orient Express Hotel
Ranked #61 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This Hotel is Brilliant. It is staffed with the best Front desk, Conceirge and Tourist Management people I have ever come across. The Rooms are good with an added bonus of a couple of English Movie channels.
It has a lovely ambience about it along the lines of the famed Orient express. You couldn't ask for a better location in one of the main shopping streets. Numerous good quality restaurants at the front door and within 2 minute walk to a lovely park , Tokapi palace and the fantastic Archeological Museum.
Tram stop is a minute away whilst the short walk to the Docks and all the activity that goes on.

WiFi in the rooms could be better, the Indoor Pool they have is a good distraction.

Al in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for either business or holiday it really is Exceptional....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mickinge
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I would like to thank you for the nice words and for sharing your experience;
All the staff sends you the warmest regards and we all hope to see you soon again;
Best wishes from Istanbul

Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just back from four days in Istanbul. A warm welcome awaited us after our (because we booked for three nights) free taxi transfer from Ataturk Airport. Ediz, who booked us in, was very professional, efficient and informative.

The hotel is situated on a tram route and in some places the pavement is rather narrow, so one has to be careful not to do an "Alan Bradley" (UK older fans of Coronation Street will know what I mean). We were given room 705 on the top floor at the back of the hotel. This was probably preferable to being on the front of the building and hearing the noise of the trams which run until around midnight. Our room overlooked the Bosphorus and we could see all the cruise liners and shipping on this busy waterway. To our right was the spectacular Bosphorus Bridge - impressively lit up at night.

There is some building work going on 24/7 to the rear of the hotel and a rather tall tower crane mars the view a bit. That said, there was little or no noise to be heard from the site and the flood lighting didn't intrude too much into the room. The room, although not over big, was clean and functional and everything worked The enormous bed was very comfortable.

There is a rooftop restaurant directly above room 705 and, I suspect, some of the other rooms on floor 7. There was some noise from the restaurant until about 11 pm.

The hotel is ideally situated for many of the "things you must see" and is within 10 to 15 minutes walking distance of the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Spice Market, Underground Cistern, the Blue Mosque, the train station and ferry boats. The tram and metro systems are ideal for getting round if you want to go a bit further afield.

There are lots of decent restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel but for a special treat try the Imbat restaurant in the hotel. Possibly the finest meal I've had for a long, long time!

A special mention for the Consierge, Ali - always charming and helpful. In fact all the staff were excellent.

The only reason I'm giving sleep quality an "average" is because of a noisy guest who decided to lock himself out of his room and then make a lot of racket trying to get his partner to open the door. Not the hotel's fault! There is a pool in the lower basement which looked inviting but we didn't use it. Breakfast, which is buffet style, was plentiful and varied with lots of choice.

Room Tip: Go for seventh floor at the back if you want the view over the Bosphorus.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roger b

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I usually stay at a sister hotel of Orient Express when I visit Istanbul, however it was full when I decided to visit Turkey and I was advised to contact Orient Express. I did so and from my first contact with them, the service was really good.
Before my arrival, they arranged for a driver to meet me at the airport and for a car and driver to take me around to my work meetings for two days. This worked perfectly fine despite the traffic of Istanbul.
The location of the hotel is ideal for those visiting on holidays or tourism, or even business, although traffic in the morning hours may add some time to commuting if you are heading to the Asian side. The major touristic sites of the city are within a short walking distance from the hotel so this is a major plus because it means you waste no time in transportation.
Check-in was swift upon arrival and the receptionist actually knew who I was before I handed him my passport but that may be due to my late arrival at night, still it signaled friendly service. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms are also clean although a little small, but this did not bother me. Wifi worked very well throughout the hotel.
Breakfast was good with some fruits, a fresh orange juice-maker available, good coffee and tea. The only possible improvement in the breakfast may be more attention to guests, which I felt lacked at times. I also had dinner at Imbat, the rooftop restaurant twice during my stay, and it was really good. The view of the Bosporus is very special in the evening.
What really distinguishes Orient Express is the friendliness and professionalism of the service. I used several of their services and was in contact with them before arriving and I am happy to say that at every level they were really good. After my departure I actually received an email from my first contact at the hotel to ask me if everything went well! Thanks Lori!
While my stay was excellent and I certainly would return to the hotel there are two minor points that I would like to point out: possibly out of luck I had a family in the room next door with a baby, who cried endlessly for two nights. I felt a lot of sympathy for the parents and for myself too because I had to wake up for work very early. The walls are actually thin and voice carries through easily. The other point was that the bar at the reception level is nice and cozy yet one night I wanted to have a drink with some friends and it was not easy finding someone to serve us drinks and there was no music playing although it was early. These are minor matters but worth mentioning.
Once again, I would like to thank the hotel staff for a great stay and for excellent service.

Room Tip: As I mentioned the wall are thin so if you are a light sleeper ask the receptionist upon check-in or...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Flying M

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Good localization for visiting the most emblematic places in old town. The staff is very kind and helpful, specially receptionists and maid.
The breakfast is good enough, with natural and fresh orange juice.
The room is ok, whitout luxury, clean and bright. Not too small, but if you are taller than 1,85 m you may have some problem whith the shower.
After 5 days in Istambul I can say that they was the most proffesional people that I have seen in my trip
Good restaurant with great views at the upper floor of the building.

1  Thank ManoelMF

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had originally booked the Ilkay Hotel (reported on earlier with 5 stars) but they moved us to the Orient Express Hotel for one night (higher end) at no extra cost. They have a terrific pool in the basement, and a 5-star included breakfast. The rooms were adequate, but not as nice as the Ilkay. We didn't get a chance to try out the famous rooftop restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't miss the cold and hot breakfast!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2013

As said before, the location of this hotel is excellent.
We followed the very easy directions using the tram from Attaturk airport. The journey cost 6tky, took about 40 minutes and was so very straightforward.
Due to the excellent location we never used the trams again but walked everywhere.
On departure, we used the hotel transport since the public transport does not start until 6am and we needed to be away before then.
Our room on floor 6 facing the street looked just like the picture above.It was double glazed & since the room had aircon we shut the door at night and had no trouble from street sounds. The only traffic on the street is the occassional taxi & the trams stop around 11-12 midnight or so.In the mornings we were up early to make the most of our days.
The hotel restaurant is well worth a visit for a special treat.Within a couple of minutes walk from the hotel we enjoyed Dejavu,Mese & Red River.
The hotel has wifi & facilities to print out boarding passes etc.
Many thanks for the great help reception gave by phoning Turkish airlines for us when we had problems checking in to our flight.
The swimming pool is lovely but we ended up too exhausted to use it .
Breakfast was a great way to set yourself up for a busy day & a nice touch was the machine to squeeze your own orange juice.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank happysept09

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Orient Express is located within walking distance of nearly every major attraction - Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi, the Spice Market and the ferry - and for attractions that are further away, the tramway stop is only a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Unbeatable location. The staff was extremely kind and helpful, but not overbearing, especially when we checked in at 11 pm after a long flight. We chose to be picked up at the airport, which is offered by the hotel, and the driver gave us a short tour around the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque, all lit up at night. Our room was not very large but clean and well heated. The buffet breakfast was a little on the plain side, but the in-room electric teapot and assortment of teas more than made up for it. We did not use the swimming pool because we did not have any swimsuits, but the pool looked great. We got a personalized letter from management, with a warm welcome and a few discount coupons. All in all, a great 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back should be quiet - the tramway drives by the front all night.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends