“Everything was excellent!”

Orient Express Hotel
Ranked #58 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have stayed in many hotels and this one by far had the best service despite only being 3 stars! I found all staff very friendly and helpful and felt like they all knew their guests well. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would happily stay there again for my next visit! The facilities were very good, the room was nice and clean and all the staff happy to help at any time. It is perfectly located for walking to all the main attractions or close to the tram if you want to go further away. The free airport transfer was the icing on the cake! Thank you Orient Hotel, I had a great stay!

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the street if you prefer not to hear the street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

In August we stayed at Orient Express 3 nights and it was great. The swimming pool is absolutely a plus in the neighborhood. The rooms are clean and great for the value. Everyday new towels and other bathroom stuff. Top terrace restaurant is what we like so it is another bonus if you are staying here. The staff is helpful. We had free transfer due to their policy and that was very nice of them as well. Highly recommended. Sirkeci Group knows how to run this business for sure! X

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My family and I stayed four days(2014/1/31-2014//2/3) in Orient Express, and we had a wonderful experience there. Our room was kept clean with rose pads every time we returned to the hotel, which is absolutely a relaxing welcome. The staff are ready to help and nice, simply put, Excellent!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mindy2014
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Orient Express hotel is situated in the Old City of Istanbul, a 10 minutes walk from the Sultan Palace and 15 from Hagia Sofia. The buillding is ordinary, but the service is spectacular. At arrival I was invited to the lounge with a beverage to be informed about the city and the hotel. At this hotell nothing was a problem, and all of the staff were very helpfull - all the time. I loved Istanbul, and I think the hotell played a big role in that "loveaffair". The room itself was average, but clean. Breakfast good. The price of the hotel cheap, good value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the backside of the hotell.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Fotballitalia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at the Orient Express Hotel during a 3 day stopover in Istanbul. The good reviews on TA are well deserved. We found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, both at reception and in the breakfast room as well as in the excellent Imbat restaurant.
Friends had recommended that we book a room on the 6th floor. Loretta confirmed by e-mail that such a room had been reserved for us, and also sent me links to various websites with more information on Istanbul. On arrival we were kindly given the alternative choice of a family room on the first floor, which we quickly decided on after realising that it had two bathrooms. Unlike a couple of other reviewers we had absolutely no problem whatsoever with tram noises etc..
Loretta provided us also with a map on which she marked the main sights and their opening times, as well as prices. Impeccable service.
The hotel is extremely well situated. We walked to all of the sights on either side of the Galata bridge, and took the ferry to Kadikӧy, so on this first visit we didn't take advantage of the extensive tram network (stop very close to the hotel).
The room was kept spotless and our towels lovingly arranged in a variety of animal shapes on the bed.
Breakfast is a rich buffet of hot and cold food, and any special requests are dealt with promptly by the efficient and friendly staff.
The Imbat restaurant is situated on the top floor and gives wonderful views over the Bosphorus. We enjoyed a lovely and well priced meal there with nice wine. As the Imbat is recommended in a number of travel guides, you have to book a table well in advance if you wish to dine in the evening. We tried to book a table at lunchtime for our last evening and found that it was already fully booked. When mentioning it at reception, it was recommended that we visit one of their 2 sister restaurants, and they provided us with the respective menus to help us decide. A table in the chosen restaurant was booked for us immediately and we can only again praise the staff for their helpful and friendly service. The same has to be said for the sister restaurant, where we enjoyed equally good service and a delicious meal.
The manager had left a letter with his e-mail address in the room, inviting us to comment on anything we felt was missing or should be improved - this confidence in his staff and the hotel as such is not surprising. We could not find anything to fault, but on return to the UK wrote to the manager anyway to compliment him on the way his hotel is run. We received an immediate reply, and also an e-mail from Loretta thanking us for the visit etc. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Voyageuse99_12
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I have just spent a week in Istanbul and the Orient Express Hotel made it perfect.
We arrived at 7am, after being promptly collected from the airport by their transport and expecting a delay until check-in time, but we were immediately shown to our room and then invited to have breakfast, which is a consistently very good choice of cold and hot food, delicious fresh breads and freshly squeezed orange juice.
The rooms are small but functional and spotlessly clean; although a little extra storage space would be helpful. Complimentary tea, coffee, and water are provided and the welcome dish of Turkish Delights (which is refilled when empty) and the letter from the hotel owner are a delightful way to greet new guests. The bed is decorated daily by a very artistic cleaning lady making different designs with the towels and flowers.
We were on the 6th floor facing the street but it was not noisy at all. The bathroom was immaculate with lashings of hot water and all the little toiletries. Small details such as a retractable clothes line over the bath made life so much easier for hanging out the things you wash by hand.We did have a problem with the washer in the toilet but it was repaired instantly.
I tried very hard to find fault with this hotel but it is impossible.! The staff are all so helpful and friendly and there is 24 hr concierge and everyone is quick to suggest ways of transport or things to do if you need advice,although the hotel is so centrally located that all the historical sights are in walking distance and Taksim and the shops and bars in Istiklal Street are just a short tram ride away. Free WiFi and a "Happy Hour" and a heated swimming pool in the basement completed our stay.
There is a 5 star restaurant on the top floor and you do need to make reservations for dinner.The food, the wine, the service, are all impeccable and you should treat yourself to at least one meal there.
So, can you improve on perfection? Apparently so. Coming down to breakfast one morning I was greeted by a blast of "Happy Birthday to you" and the staff came out with a birthday cake and candles and the whole restaurant ended up having a birthday breakfast with me, compliments of the hotel.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, I cannot praise or thank the staff enough. There is just one problem though; I will have to wait until next December before I can return!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank penkeyman
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The Orient Express hotel is in a great location in the old city for visitors. You can walk to the markets, museums, and mosques on the old side of the city. The new city is a quick train ride away; the light rail passes the street in front of the hotel. The immediate vicinity is picturesque, but is full of tourist-trap restaurants with bland food and shops selling trinkets. For a better dining and shopping, you have to go to the new city, off Istiklal or around the Taksim light rail.

The property is very European in the sense that the building is old, the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny. The staff is very informative and helpful -- they speak English and gave me directions and advice that helped make my trip enjoyable.

I also had probably the most shocking hotel experience ever here. I came back to the room late on my first night (after midnight), turned on the light, and saw what looked like a small animal sitting on my bed. I looked closer, but it wasn't a raccoon: it was a chocolate cake. It was my birthday and the staff had brought a cake with candles to my room, but I was away. So I had something to snack on the next two days, and the staff left quite an impression with its hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jeff B
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest
I am Faruk Boyacı, the owner of the Orient Express Hotel;
I would like to thank you for the nice words and for sharing your experience;
All the staff sends you the warmest regards and we all hope to see you soon again;
Best wishes from Istanbul