“Great hotel, Good Location”

Orient Express Hotel
Ranked #72 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
North Wales, UK
“Great hotel, Good Location”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I book through their website and we stayed 3 nights so we got complimentary hotel pick up which was great and their email communication was good also. They gave us the room I asked for. It was initially made up as twin, but they converted it to a very comfortable double. The pool was nice as was the breakfast. One bonus I didn't notice before I booked was the roof top restaurant the Imbat which has great views and great food.

Helpful staff made for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: 702 is a big room, at the front of the hotel but noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JO_Reviews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed with my family a year ago......made booking through their website....they provided free airport drop and pick up.....perfect location to see the Town......we never took a taxi ....on our 5 days stay in Istanbul......the front desk people are very friendly and the first hotel i have ever seen ...the front desk gave you some tips and guidelines about the town...how to move around....

the rooms where nice.....clean.....prompt service from hotel staff......

overall best value for your money...in the best location.......when you do booking through the hotel website ....you might get the best price...compared through other hotel reservation websites......

Room Tip: Better to ask the front desk
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VJ2011
Houston
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My stay at this hotel for three nights was arranged for me by Turkish Tourism as part of a business trip. I was so impressed with this property -- the location, the outstanding friendly staff and the clean room I was in -- so I cancelled a previous reservation and stayed another four nights on my own.

The Orient Express has 52 rooms, a rooftop restaurant, pool and more. But what I liked the most was the location -- ten minute walks to Istanbul's most popular attractions like the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia, and only a five minute walk to the Eminonu port with its ferries and views of the Bosphorus Strait. It's also on the street with the city's main tram line. Spice shops, restaurants and other stores line the surrounding blocks

The front desk staff were, simply put, outstanding, helping me with my questions on sightseeing and how to get around. My room was great -- maybe a bit on the small side for a couple, but perfect for one person. Room and bathroom were very clean and maid service was terrific. You can squeeze your own oranges for orange juice at breakfast.

Next time in Istanbul, I will stay at this hotel. And I would recommend it. I had absolutely no complaints.

Richard Varr
Travel Writer, USA

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard V
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Located between Gulhane Park and Sirkeci Tram Stations on the tramway, this hotel is well presented and maintained. It can't be beaten on its proximity to local shops/ restaurants. I was accommodated on 7th floor in a room with Bosphorus View. This was perhaps the best option available. The room was well provided with almost everything I could think of. Every small little detail was taken care of, with no fault to be found. The highlights of the hotel were indoor swimming pool, scrumptious breakfast and very helpful attitude of the members of staff. Being a fresh orange juice lover, I was fascinated to see a manual machine for pressing fresh juice out of oranges, on the breakfast table. One way airport transfer was also included in the price of the stay.

For me the hotel would have clenched scored five stars had it not be due to inadequate noise isolation. During my stay, I could over the sounds from corridor and other rooms, especially once showers or toilets were used.

Generally this is a great hotel offering good value for money.

Room Tip: Pick up Bosphorus facing top floor rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PsyDocUK
Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Two years ago a friend and I had an excellent stay at the Orient Express during our first visit to Istanbul, so when business and a desire to see more of Turkey brought us back to Istanbul, there was no question as to where to stay.

I am happy to report that nothing has changed at the hotel. If anything, it has gotten better. I again asked for a high floor room with a view to the north and got it. Because I was staying 11 nights this year, I qualified for the free airport pickup provided by the hotel and that worked to perfection. My room was ready when I arrived and staff was very welcoming. No problems with language. I opted to pay for my stay in American dollars to benefit from the cash discount and did that upon arrival to avoid carrying cash around (though an in room safe is provided). No problem paying in dollars or Euros.

Our room was clean and while the bathroom was snug in size, it was entirely adequate and the hot and cold water in the shower worked as intended with adequate pressure. The heating/cooling system in the room also worked as intended. The hotel provides Wi-Fi to guests and I saw that there are antennas on each floor to insure the signal reaches the rooms. Reception was generally good during our stay.

I had only one facility problem and that was when my electronic room key would not open the door. Notice to the always friendly front desk staff brought immediate attention to and correction of the problem which turned out to be nothing more than a need to replace the batteries in the locking mechanism.

I used the laundry service provided by the hotel twice which returned what I left in the morning to have cleaned the same day.

There is a small swimming pool in the sub basement which my friend used to his satisfaction.

The buffet style breakfast served from 7-10 offered a variety of choices including hot foods, cold meats and cheeses, a variety of bread and cereal choices, and the ability to prepare your own fresh squeezed orange juice - this last a very popular choice.

The hotel is located on the T1 tram line midway between two easily reached stops in the Sirkeci section of old Istanbul about 10 minutes walk from the ferry docks near Galata bridge on the Golden Horn, and a little less than that to the Sirkeci station of the new Marmara Rail line that since October, 2013 provides transit access through a tunnel under the Bosphorus to the Asian side of Istanbul. The hotel is also easily accessible to Hagia Sophia, Topkapi and the Basilica cistern underground water storage facility and about a 15 minute walk the other way to the Grand Bazaar which is also reachable by the T1 tram line. That same line provides a connection to the M1a Metro that connects to the Ataturk international airport. In the other direction it takes you across the Golden Horn to the north side or newer European side of Istanbul and the end of the line is near the ferry terminals and Taksim Square which you can reach via an underground funicular from the tram stop. I was happy to find that the hotel has a supply of the Smart Cards you can preload with liras and then use to ride the transit system.

Several banks with 24/7 ATM's that accept debit cards from U.S. banks are within 5 minutes of the hotel. Some of these dispense not only Turkish lira but also Euros. Restaurants in the area offer a variety of fare and prices, and shops stay open well into the evening.

All in all, another excellent Orient Express experience at a very affordable cost.

Room Tip: North Side room on the high floors (6th and 7th as examples) look out over the nearby rooftops towar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walt1910
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Great location in old city. Walking distance of the big sites. Sultans palace. Blue mosque. Hagia sophia. Cistern. Grand bazaar. Hippodrome. Best hotel breakfast we have ever had world wide. Honey on the comb. Squeeze your fresh orange. Imbat rooftop restaurant so good you have to book. No hassle. Staff calm and knowledgeable. Room small but high quality. The maid service is an artistic experience with flowers and towels. Swimming pool. Lifts. PC in lobby. Wi fi The only down side for some might be the tram outside but they stop at night. Certain navigation back to hotel ,follow the rails. Easy to use tram to explore the other side over the golden horn. Also tram to boat trips pier. 5 star hotel for 3 star price .We will recommend to our family and friends. Small individual hotel rather than corporate chain.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamesdmd
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived early hours of Friday morning, our luggage was stored and we were invited to a complimentary breakfast, we could then get our bearings whilst our room was made up. Staff are lovely and nothing is too much trouble. the hotel provides everything you want on a city break, thank you orient express for a wonderful stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple