“Comfortable Hotel with a Fantastic View”
Review of Cihangir Hotel

Cihangir Hotel
Ranked #482 of 1,134 Hotels in Istanbul
New York
“Comfortable Hotel with a Fantastic View”
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I recently visited Istanbul for a week and stayed at the Cihangir Hotel. The hotel's location is wonderful. The view from the Bosphorus side is absolutely worth paying a bit extra for. Looking out of my window and seeing the Bosphorus Bridge was definitely a highlight of my trip.

The walk to Taksim square, where mass transit and airport shuttles are located, is very short. Yes, the last leg of the walk does involve walking down a fairly steep hill, but I didn't have any problem navigating this. Actually, the bumpy streets around other parts of Taksim gave my luggage much more of a problem. It was very well lit and didn't seem dangerous at all, even late at night. I even saw children playing along it several times.

The hotel staff was courteous and generally helpful, if a bit dour. They spoke enough English to be able to answer my questions. The room was reasonably large, but I was glad I went for a double and not a single.

I would say this hotel needs to work on repairs a bit, however. The outside wall of my bathtub seemed ready to fall off, and the seat of my chair was broken off from the rest of it. Some of the linens were a bit dingy, but I just used another set. So the place does lose a few points in the cleanliness department. But I didn't find any actual garbage about the place, and the rooms were cleaned daily.

Overall, I felt like this hotel room was a great value for what I paid. I would recommend contacting the hotel directly through their web site, as rates seemed cheaper this way than with online booking sites. While the room could use a bit of repair, it didn't really interfere with my stay. If you want an inexpensive hotel with a wonderful view that is centrally located for exploring Istanbul, the Cihangir Hotel is a great choice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I like the location of the hotel - walking distance from Taksim square , Cihangir street is nice , Really the Boshorus view is breathtaking. Breakfast included Turkish breakfast as I like.The rooms are small, but I did not expect more space for such price.The only thing that confused me is cleanliness. Definitely the hotel needs more thorough cleaning. I am not crazy about cleanliness and do not pay attention to the details but here the dust near wall bases, on the conditioner filters, dusty chairs on the balcony and films(green - copper oxide?) on the shower mixer upset me.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nojemet
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed in Cihangir Hotel after recommendation of a very close friend of me who stays there every time she visits Istanbul. The hotel is in the best possible convenient location. It is in Cihangir area, just 5 minutes walk to Taksim Square, far away from tourist trap hotels of Sultanahmet. Taksim square is the best place to stay in Istanbul, because restaurants and night life are there. We searched a lot to find a reasonable price hotel in the area but we couldn't find and Cihangir was the best. Unfortunately there were no Bosphorous view rooms ( that are amazing), so we were given city view rooms. Some of our friends left earlier, so we made some changes in the room ( f.ex. i stayed in total in 3 different rooms, so i can make comments on them). Except from the rooms in the lobby that are a bit noisy ( at least for people who can't sleep easily), the rooms in 5th and 3rd floor were perfect. All the rooms were clean and spacious. The stuff was very helpful; we gave them some cheese to store in their fridge, and they were calling immediately taxi for us;because i had to sleep some days in a single room, some days in double room, there was no problem. All of them were very friendly. The breakfast is a typical turkish breakfast; don't expect too many things , however, it had omelette, and sausage and eggs and bread , tomatoes and cheese. Cihangir area is famous for its cafes so it's better to take breakfast in a cafe.
In total, i can say that both me and my friends enjoyed our stay in the hotel; if you are looking for a budget clean hotel in a convenient location go for it!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bosporos
metripgo
Reviewed 31 January 2009

i stayed at cihangir hotel twice with my girlfriend. hotel rooms are very clean. staff friendly. the back side rooms overlooking the bosphorus are fantastic. for the value i would definitely recommend this hotel

• Liked — the bosphorus view and cleanness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank metripgo
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We have been staying at 2 rooms with a Bosphorus view at Cihangir Hotel for 4 days. Its a nice, very clean and confortable hotel in a very silent neighbourhood. We choose rooms with Bosporus view: The view of Bosporus from the terrace of our room was breathtaking both during day and night. The accommodation was absolutely amaizing and the staff very helpful and smiling. It’s a clean and comfortable hotel with spacious bathrooms. The breakfast (typical Turkish breakfast) was simple but fresh and delicious. The hotel has a private garage without extra charge, and this is very convenient.

• Liked — view, friendly staff, free parking
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank marmel00
Ankara
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We were looking for a hotel in Taksim for just one night and picked the Cihangir from reviews and their website. We drove in from Taksim Square down very narrow alleys (and saw a car and a van trying to pass each other, ending up with the rear bumper being ripped off the car, so if you are driving, be very careful!).

Reception was efficient if somewhat impersonal. We got a room with a Bosphorous view (20 Euros extra) but it was debatable whether it was worth the extra - a large chunk of ours was taken up by the fire escape. If you've never been to Istanbul before then it would probably be worth it.

The room was comfortable, clean but not meticulously so. There was a good array of goodies (shoe cleaner, comb, shower cap, slippers) but only liquid soap - if you prefer solid soap take your own. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and wonderful water pressure. Elderly folk might have a problem getting in and out of the shower - it was quite a high step with little to hang on to.

Breakfast was included and was an excellent spread.

The only downside was the location. Returning after dark is not for the nervous. We think of ourselves as seasoned travelers and have spent some time in seedy locations, but even we were a little nervous here. We encountered a couple of 'hoodies' lurking in doors, but fortunately they turned out to be harmless.

We'd stay there again, but probably without paying extra for the Bosphorous view.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Approaches to hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OldJambo
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 29 May 2008

The Cihangir Hotel is located several blocks away from the Taksim square area in a quiet residential neighborhood. The hotel faces the Bosphorus and you can ask for a room with a balcony for the view. It's nice to sit outside in the late evening and watch the lights on the 2nd Bosphorus bridge to the north.
The hotel also has a rooftop bar featuring the same view.

I stayed in a double twin-bed room, not very spacious but adequate for my needs. The bathrooms are spacious (for a room of this size) and have modern installations.
The reception staff speaks English fairly well. They are strict about not letting anyone past the reception area if they are not hotel guests.
One formality I didn’t appreciate is that the staff would knock on our door minutes upon our return to the hotel in the afternoon to perform a “mini-bar control” – just as we were getting ready to shower or take a quick nap. Also, I noticed that the room service staff lay the breakfast trays directly down on the hallway carpeting, instead of using a utility cart.

The downside of the Cihangir's location is having to walk from Taksim square/metro station down Siraselviler Caddesi for a few blocks to get to the hotel. This street has narrow sidewalks and is always very busy with taxis, cars, and pedestrians. In the evening the dance clubs and bars are open and it can seem like you are in London's SoHo or some similarly busy location popular with young people.
On the plus side, there are currency exchanges, a couple of quick-marts, and countless kebab eateries open all day and most of the night. And further down Siraselviler street there are several contemporary restaurants, pastry shops, bars and boutiques in the Cihangir district.

From the location of the Cihangir Hotel it's relatively easy to walk downhill to the coastal boulevard where the tram passes by heading towards Sultanahmet. Taking the tram will save you money on taxis from Taksim to Eminonu & Sultanahmet where all the sights are. If I remember correctly, the tram stop closest to the Cihangir is "Findikli". Just be aware that coming back to the hotel from the tram stop is a steep walk, including stairs for some of the way. This may be physically challenging for some people.

• Liked — Satisfactory hotel amenities, good location
  • Disliked — Service staff procedures
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends