“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #611 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
San Francisco, California
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

The hotel is very well located - close to the main road (tram and metro to airport) but far enough from noise. Rooms are very clean and breakfast is excellent. Hotel staff are courteous. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank WorldTravelerEB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Austria, Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

This hotel is very well kept, good location near grand basar and serail, although in the russian quarter. Good breakfast, nice restaurant around the corner. Tram stop to the ferry station easily reachable. The only disadvantage (in winter) is, that you cannot switch off the heating and have to keep the windows shut during the night (noise!), so that the room is quite hot all the time. In summer the AC should work.

The wireless on the computer of the hotel does not work, if you bring your laptop, it is slow, but works.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Jyvaskyla, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

We stayed in Hotel Barin a couple of nights. The service was good and friendly, breakfast was ok and rooms clean. Everything was like we expected things to be, except that my iPod disappeared from the room while we were out.

OK, I might be a little naive leaving such things unguarded in the room, but I trusted that the things would stay in the closed travelling bag (a separate pocket closed with a zipper) – the player was not on the table in front of everyone’s eyes or anything. Unfortunately I noticed this only after arriving back home.

So, I sent an email to the hotel asking how this could have happened, in a matter-of-fact style, asking for a reply. No response at all. This way the hotel gives its silent acceptance to this, which in my opinion is the worst thing in this case. I’m not worrying after the lost player, it was not that expensive, but the thing that it’s OK for the hotel that these things just happen. My opinion as a traveler is, that it should not.

Bottom line: Value for money, which (among all other valuables) should not be left in the room.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Touho
barinhotel, General Manager at Barin Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2010
Dear Sir

Actually we send e-mail to him but I think he didn't receive it. I checked our security cam and nobody get in his room. We are looking all stuff background before sign contract with them and all stuff working min. 5 years in our hotel and it's impossible someone took it from our hotel stuff.

Regards
Hotel Management

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

One of the noisiest hotels we've stayed in. In fact, while sitting on the toilet I heard every word of the conversation the couple in the room next to us were having through the vent shaft!! Unfortunately, our room was on the first floor next to the restaurant, so we were kept awake until 11pm by diners and woken at 7am by guests having breakfast. We could also hear the contant ringing of the 'phone at reception. During our stay the internet connection was down more times than Tiger Wood's pants, on the very rare occasions the connection was 'live' it was RIDICULOUSLY slow. The web access for guests is not fit for purpose. The breakfast was very stodgy and very bread-orientated. Apart from a bowl of red apples, I'd have preferred to have seen more fruit served - i.e. grapefruit segments, fruit salad, bowl of bananas/oranges/apples. The reception staff were helpful, rather than friendly and polite. We won't be returning to The Barin.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

After going through reviews of various hotels, I finally picked on Hotel Barin because of its location, recent renovation, good reviews etc.... I arrived at the Barin at 7.45 am after a long bus journey from Cappadocia. There was this elderly receptionist guy at the reception on the 2nd October. I presented him my voucher and he asked me to wait till as it was very early. I agreed. At 10.30 am, I went to him and asked him, how long more I have to wait..... and he told me, " did u hear the tok, tok noise?" I said No, why?, oh there is some renovation happening, and no water in the rooms, and dont worry, I have a better hotel for you, it is 4 star, just opposite, and very good breakfast and I will transfer you immediately.... And he transferred me to The Washington Hotel...... It all happened so fast, I had no time to argue.... I was also very tired, and wanted to visit the toilet and hit the bed !

On reaching the Washington, I found out it was 3 star not 4, an old property, musty rooms, small rooms, stained carpets - all black and brown, a very tiny toilet with a faucet that was difficult to use, and the coldest breakfast I every ate..... ice cold omlettes, salads, bread and everything else. We were only there for a night, so didnt want to argue, but I felt this was totally unfair. We spend a lot of time trying to go through reviews, choose a hotel of our liking, and then to finally be dumped in a totally strange place which I am forced to stay in is unwaranted and uncalled for !

Thank god the location was the same, and there were nice places around to eat, but the Barin Hotel should think twice before dumping confirmed guests elsewhere. If their rooms were under renovation, they had no business to confirm a room in the first place !

I am also taking this matter up with the people that confirmed the Barin !

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Have just returned after 3 night stay at BARIN.Found hotel very central as regard getting to tram which was only a few stops from main sightseeing venues.Hotel was very good,clean and staff very obliging.Would recommend:FLAMING POT: dish in DIANA restaurant around corner

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Compared with other hotels in the area this is one of the best (looking). It is basic, but clean and well located, only 5 mins from the tram or a 20 min walk to the main sites in the old city. The room was pleasant, quite big and the bathroom was clean with a shower\bath. The air con was good and the wifi free. Breakfast was included and was good, typical continenetal type with some local dishes too. The surrounding area seems a bit scary initially as there are a lot of young men on the streets selling fake bags, clothes etc, however, they tend to leave you alone and even returning late at night felt safe, compared to London! If you are prepared to eat just about anywhere then walking back from the centre to the hotel offers you the opportunity to eat at some local places...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo