“Great New Years trip and stay in the history hotel”
Review of History Hotel

History Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Germany, Ruhrgebiet
“Great New Years trip and stay in the history hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Dear all,
my partner and myself decided to spend some days around new years eve in istanbul and as we had to look over costs I made a big research about hotels in istanbul before we decided for this hotel.

Our criterias were 1. costs (if possible under 50€ / double room), 2. cleaness ( I am very sensitive with dirt and especially smell), 3. location. If you cannot find out via the internet if the hotel is really clean and does not smell I concentrated on 1/3. I found this hotel via hrs est. 2 months in advance and the price was great (34,-€ per double room incl. breakfast), location was good as well (near old bazar in the old part of the city). They had a very nice homepage and the on the phone they were friendly, so we booked.

Here our remarks:
1. Location is great if you like old and more historical part of Instanbul. You have very good transportation (a tram station nearby) bringing you to all the important parts of Istanbul. To the great bazar, blue mosque / hagia sophia you can walk.

Nevertheless you do not have much restaurants, bars etc... nearby and in the evening is more quiet and streets are empty.

2. Rooms: small but very clean and not smelly at all! Nice furniture, windows to open, flat screen tv with int. programms and an own bathroom (small but very clean as well)

3. Hotel: great lobby, nice staff and the breakfast was not that special but ok!

So regarding the price and the performance it was not high luxus but for the price really great!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Kent, UK
Reviewed 13 September 2005

Of course one takes a risk booking a hotel over the internet. Maybe the bedcover will be smelly? Maybe the water will be orange with rust? Maybe this, maybe that. One can analyse it for ever..........

I glanced at the photo's on the History Hotel website and decided to stay there purely because I loved the look of the Byzantine Cistern Restaurant. Well, the bedcover looked ok in the photo...........

As soon as I arrived, the lovely staff were attentive, my case was whisked up to my room and I settled on the squidgy settee with a beer. Yum.

The room was absolutely fine, the service was great and the history does literally seep from the walls of that amazing cistern restaurant. I ate dinner there sometimes and it was lovely fresh produce at reasonable prices.

Being from UK, I found eating olives, hard boiled eggs and feta for breakfast a bit odd, but each morning, full of strong coffee and vigour, I had the most wonderful time in what is now one of my favourite cities.

Though listed as a Budget Hotel, the History Hotel really should be classed higher. Have a nice stay!

• Stayed May 2004