“Great value”

Ranked #106 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Melbourne
“Great value”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed here in August 2013 with my mum on our second visit to Turkey. 21 years ago we stayed here and decided to stay here again due to its close proximity to most (pretty much all) the sights in the Old City. Well what can I say, after 20 years there's been rapid improvement not only in the hotel but in Istanbul as well. They've expanded the hotel,adding more rooms, with a more modern touch, however the service and the genuine Turkish hospitality has definitely not been compromised. From the moment we booked, Ramazan (the man in charge of your smiles!) and his team were friendly, accommodating and more than helpful in arranging everything, from airport transfers, bus tickets, and an additional 5 night stay during peak season upon returning from Cappadocia and Pammukale; they even kept our big luggage bags in safe storage while we were visiting these other parts of Turkey. Free wifi which worked well in the rooms, decent buffet breakfast (cereals, fruit, Turkish style breakfast of olives, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese etc, eggs, sausages, tea, coffee, juice, breads), rooms were not huge but enough space to move around and very clean with a tea/coffee facilities,TV, wardrobe to hang some clothes, and with Air-con, nice restaurants near by (try the testi kebap (pottery kebab) at the Ozlem Restaurant across the road up the little alley, or the Sultanahmet Fish House about 100metres down ghe road crom the Basilica Cistern), and as mentioned before all the sights (the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar) are all within walking distance. Hotel is situated halfway between two tram stops (walk out of the hotel and the tram line is right in front of you) which means easy access to all parts of the Old City and can also take you across the Galata Bridge towards Galata Tower, Taksim area and the Dolmabache Palace. Also situated ithin walking distance to the Eminonu ferry port, for ferries along the Bosphorus (tip: catch the hop-on/hop-off Bosphorus ferry from acorss the Galata Bridge at Kabatas (end of the tram line), its about 12 euros per person and it does a round trip up the Bosphorus, with numerous stops n both the European and Asian sides of Turkey, as the name suggests you can hop off at any stop and explore the area before hopping back on again at the designated ferry stops and continuing your journey; the ferries run frequently throughout the day and are much better value in seeing different parts of Istanbul's surrounds than the tours you can get from Eminonu which don't stop at all). I would recommend anyone travelling to Istanbul to make Hotel Ilkay your base, and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 303, in the more modern part of the hotel, with a view overlooking the street whic...
Dear Saree_8;

Frankly, we are all flattered while reading your beautiful review here. I am not able to choose words to thank you :) By the way, I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you very much. I did not share your comments with everyone but I am sure they have already seen this.

Please do not forget us. If I may be of any kind of assistance to you in the future within Ilkay Hotel or in Istanbul, we will be so happy to hear from you. Here is my direct e-mail: faruk@istanbul.com.

Sincerely yours
Faruk Boyaci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Floirda
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed five nights here and it was average. The rooms are small but clean. We had a problem with the A/C and they were quick to change our room. The bed was not too comfortable but they added a padding under the sheets which helped a lot. They do really try to be accommodating and helpful if there is a problem. The breakfast is average, we had better at other hotels we stayed at in Turkey. We chose this hotel because it is very near to the sights you go to Istanbul to see. We were able to walk to the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia etc. We had to leave very early for our flight home and they gave us a wake up call, had arranged transportation and had a little something ready for us to eat on the way to the airport. If you are not looking for anything fancy, it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear sascha07;

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. We all appreciate your critics and comments. We are happy to know you have generally enjoyed, except couple things in the hotel.

I want you to know that we pay utmost attention every kind of feedbacks and improve our services accordingly. I promise, we will work on our breakfast to make it better.

Please do not forget us and memories in Istanbul. We are glad to meet you and If you need any kind of assistance in the future, I would love to hear from you.

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were in a triple room (#408) at Ilkay for one week (august 20-27). As mentioned in the hotel website, we got one night free for 7 nights reservation, free airport transport and 7% discount for cash payment. We have really enjoyed our stay in this hotel for many reasons:
1- the location is perfect for those who enjoyed staying in the old city. There was so many nice restaurants around. The Sirkeci Tramway stop was 300 m away while Gulhane stop is around 500 m away.
2- The smell of the hotel (rooms, corridor...) reflects its cleanness. We got a warm welcome letter from the staff who knows English very well. We felt we are at home.
3- The breakfast room is very clean, wide, variety of dishes: honey, omelets, French fries, cheese, tomato, cucumber, cereal, yoghurt, martadelle, fresh bread, tea, coffee, orange juice,
4- An excellent internet connection in the room. There was a free laptop access for free in the reception area.
Everything written on the website is real 100%. Very professional. I will definitely stay at this hotel during my next trip to Istanbul. It is important to note that the hotel is equipped with 3 elevators which is rare to find in an hotel located in the old city, Thank you Mrs Ceren for her quick correspondance, Mr Ramazan for his warm welcome.....You made our stay wonderful. Noha from Lebanon

Room Tip: all rooms are good, 408 was calm.
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Nohag;

I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you for your kind words about Ilkay Hotel. We are grateful to you sharing your experience for our future guests. Do no forget us.

If you need any kind of assistance in the future within Ilkay Hotel or in Istanbul, I would love to hear from you.

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Four of us took a girls trip in August 2013 and staying here was one of the highlights of our trip to Turkey. The rooms were clean and they offered quick service at every point. They provided amenities like hair dryer, hot water, drinking water, coffee and tea maker, etc. The room from our room was of a construction site however we didn't mind it since we spent very little time in the room. The breakfast is on till 1030am and is a pretty decent spread with some local Turkish cheese, honey comb... Special mention must be made for Ramazan and his team who helped us at every step with directions as well as planning our itinerary. The hotel is so well located with 2 tram stations located a couple of minutes away, the Sultanahmet region about 10 mins walk away. It was perfect. Also since we travelled to cappadocia in between, they stored our suitcases for us. All in all, when I head back to Turkey I'm definitely staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear deedeetravels;

It is very kind of you to take the time to write about us. I really appreciate your kind support. I have shared your comments with our staff and especially Ramazan. They are all happy to hear these words and send their regards to you.

If you need any assistance in the future, please contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you very much.

Goreme, Turkey
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance from Haja Sophia Blue Mosque, spice market as well as ferries and tram station.
Rooms were clean and hotel serves good breakfast and 24/7 support staff on site. They even cancelled our 1st night stay without any penalties as our flight got cancelled and we flew next evening.

Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Family_NJ_USA;

Thank you for your kind comments about Ilkay Hotel. I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. How nice of you to leave a review here. We all appreciate it.

If I may be of any assistance to you either in Istanbul or within Ilkay Hotel, you can contact me directly at faruk@istanbul.com.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just returned to Australia from a recent trip to Turkey stayed at this hotel for 10 days. Staff at the reception very good and cannot do enough for you, the rooms are kept very clean and the service is excellent. Within walking distance to all sites, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, tram at your fron door should you want to venture out further away. The food is amazing and again the hotel is in the right location for everything that you could possible want. The cleaning staff do not speak English however this is not a problem as the reception will always act as an interpreter if needed. Great family hotel and would recommend to anyone that is travelling there.

Fatima Edries Perth Australia

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the back of the hotel alot quieter.
1 Thank fatima_edries
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear fatima_edries;

I would like to thank you for your review. I am so happy to read your words. How nice of you to take time and write your experience. I apprecaite it.

If I may be of any assistance to you in the future, please contact me directly on faruk@istanbul.com.

Sincerely

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Decided to stay here based on previous reviews. Air conditioner doesn't work and no offer for different room. Light over bathroom sink burned out and the coffee service in room wasn't clean. Staff is nice enough and brought electric fans to compensate for no air con. Arrived around 1800 and room wasn't ready.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob Q
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Bob Q;

Thank you very much for your review. My name is Faruk Boyaci, I am the owner of Ilkay Hotel - Istanbul.

I feel deeply sorry for what you have experienced with us. In my opinion, 2 out of 5 is really good and believe me I would have given 1 out of 5. Your review and such is a lesson to be learned and shows us the right path in this business. I cannot thank you enough.

Please accept our apologies. If you plan to come back to Istanbul, I would love to take this opportunity to meet you in person and make it up to you.

Here is my direct contact details; faruk@istanbul.com / 0090 532 312 9287

You can contact me if you need anything.

Hope to see you again