“I didn't stay at the Ilkay, but I'm giving it 5 stars!”
Review of Hotel Ilkay

Hotel Ilkay
Ranked #117 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“I didn't stay at the Ilkay, but I'm giving it 5 stars!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

It's your lucky day - said the manager on duty when I arrived at the Ilkay Hotel weary from a long flight from Bangkok. My heart dropped as he explained that I had been 'upgraded' to a room at a sister hotel a few yards away, the Orient Express. Hmmm, I thought; here we go to cockroach city.
In fact, he took me to a pleasant-looking hotel down the street where I had a great room and a very comfortable stay. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.
So, I'm giving Mr Ramazan Ovali at the Ilkay five stars for the very informative and polite emails he sent me before I arrived, and for my room at the Orient Express. The Ilkay looked absolutely fine, by the way, and I have booked another room there for my return trip next week.

Room Tip: Can't rate the rooms as I stayed at the Orient Express.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be. We never let anyone go upset in our properties.

Please note that we are your second family here in Istanbul and if you need anything from Istanbul, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to hear back from you and to see you here.

Faruk Boyaci, The owner of Ilkay Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I can be picky, but no room complaints here. Very clean room and bathroom, and a really great hot shower!

The two bottles of water supplied in the room are just refilled/unsealed glass bottles and are labeled for use with tea/coffee (kindly supplied), too heavy and not really suitable to take out trekking. But this is not a problem since bottled water is cheap in Istanbul. ½ TL per bottle at the shop directly across from the hotel, so grab some on the way out exploring.

I was traveling alone with only carryon bags, so I took the rail/tram combination from IST to hotel (6TL total) on a Saturday late afternoon. I won't do that again! I cannot describe how packed the tram was, yet people kept pushing in at every stop. I've read the usual warnings of pickpockets on the tram, but really, if someone lifts your wallet, you would probably thank them for creating the additional space.

The hotel is located between two T-1 tram stops, Gulhane and Sirkeci. While Sirkeci might be a little closer, the slightly downhill walk from Gulhane is easier and with fewer intersections to cross.

This is a very busy tourist area along the tram line and a great area for shops, food options and atmosphere. To the south is the Spice Market, an easy downhill walk. Uphill to the north is the main historical area containing the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. While it can be walked, some may choose to take the tram going uphill, walking downhill on the return.

If you are bothered by noise when you sleep, ask for a room away from the street. My room was above the street from the 3rd floor (4th floor for us yanks), and this is the first time I ever had a problem with street noise. The nearly continuous bells and horn from the trams, combined with loud crowd noises was just a little too much.

But a great enclosed hot shower!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jim A
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be. However, I would like to apologize that we were not able to fully satisfy you. Soon, in order to prevent noise problems, we will take precautions at our building. Paying too much attention to all feedback coming from our guests, we will redesign our structure to give the best service possible.

Forgive us.

Sincerely
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

i have stayed at this hotel in 2008/9/10/13 and cannot find a single fault with the staff or with the hotel in general. the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis to a high standard. the buffet breakfast is always fresh , the receptionists, fatih, sadat, and ugur are very helpful and are bi lingual. in english french and spanish. the bar RED RIVER is a brilliant place to unwind and have a wide selection of alcoholic beverages as well as tea and coffee , and has an excepional menu if you are a little peckish. if you are looking for a hotel in istanbul and just want somewhere to rest your head and get a shower after a long day exploring the delights of istanbul, then this is the hotel i would recommend to all. without any hesitations at all.

Room Tip: i cannot say to choose any particular room, as they are all good and during my times here i have bee...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TIMOTHY R
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel & Red River Pub. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Ilkay hotel is nothing special. It is a average three star hotel. Not special or memorable. But I would not hesitate recommending it to all budget travelers hence it is placed near tramp and the major sites. It is clean, the wifi works excellence, you feel safe and the room is clean. All important things!
Only downside is the toilet flush - very noisy and did not work well in our room and the breakfast is plain and uninteresting but as to expect for this kind of budget hotel...
Thank you Ilkay - perhaps I will see you again.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank maria b
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear maria b;

Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. We are happy to read and hear that you had mostly pleasant stay with us. In our opinion, such feedback are the great motivation to our employees to work with desire and passion.

Furthermore, I am sorry for the problems. We are going to solve all of technical problems.

Nice to meet you and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My partner and I stayed five nights during October 2013, the hotel is an excellent choice, spotlessly clean, well run and in an ideal location to explore Istanbul, all the main sights are within easy walking distances, lots of places to eat and shop right outside the front door.

6 Thank Stephen P
Our dear guest;

if you need anything from Istanbul or Ilkay hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would love to hear from you and see you again.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nice location, very short distance from most historical places like Grand Baazar, Spice Market, Galata Bridge, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern and many more. Cordial hospitality, great value, best service.

Room Tip: Road side rooms have the nice view of street and shops.
3 Thank abdulhye

Kolkata, India
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed three nights in Ilkay and totally loved it. the room are small but mostly we experienced the same thing in other parts of Europe as well. But it is super clean-I even saw the cleaners putting soap on the carpet and thoroughly cleaning it! The room we stayed(newer building, 5th floor) has no such view but we arn't complaining for the price we paid.
We booked online and promptly a person was standing with my name at the airport. A shuttle style car dropped us. Since we were the only ppl at that time we had the car to ourselves!
We waited for an hour to get the room. Breakfast is very European-cold cuts! I have requested Ramazan to add more hot food. You receive a personalized letter in the room from him which is so cute. The most important thing about this place is its LOCATION. We walked everywhere very conveniently and took the tram to Galata Tower from the station at Gulhane rather than Sirkeci.Shop across has all the regular supplies of water, soft drinks etc.
Street across going upwards has a host of restaurants. On the last day of our trip, my husband was down with fever and the staff was very co-operative in helping me takle his breakfast upstairs.Also I must mention that when staying here, you are staying with the Sirkeci group of hotels and that is very significant.We took a taxi ride from Taksim as it was around 1am and since we weren't sure of the exact stip to the hotel, I made the cab stop at Erboy-sister hotel. The meter was completely rigged-charging us 48 liras for the ride. I asked my husband to wait, got down and walked in to Erboy, asked the manager on duty what the fare was he said:"17 liras". I told him that the cab is waiting outside and asking for 48, he promptly stepped out and the cabbie immediately changed the fare to 17!! thanks for his efforts, it saved us from being duped. Very satisfied with our stay!

Room Tip: Pay in cash, we got 7% back.
3 Thank Esjay05
Our dear guest;

On behalf of Ilkay Hotel, I would like to thank you for your kind review about our hotel. It is very nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Reading your sincere comments motivate us more than anything. We appreciate it. Please do not forget us.