“Hell Hole”

Ranked #859 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Hell Hole”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Was dumped in this dwelling by British Airways when the return flight failed. Worst night of my life. It was FILTHY. Cockroaches, horrific bathroom, lose electrical wires everywhere. NEVER stay there. Even the staff at the Kebab restaurant across the 13 line highway said it is a terrible place. British Airways scored no brownie points !

Room Tip: No good rooms no helpful staff - AWFUL
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Emmcee52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was actually truly surprised to see that people willingly book in here, but upon looking at the place on the internet the pictures are completely deceiving. I am sitting outside the "hotel" right now and its a creamy colour on the outside not red as the pictures indicate. The inside of the rooms are equally deceiving. No headboards or anything like that.

We had the misfortune of staying here due to a cancelled flight.

The staff don't speak English and generally arent helpful although for this type of place I wouldnt really expect that.

I decided that I would just stay here as I just wanted to sleep but...

1. Aircon was not working despite it being 32° C in Istanbul yesterday. This was the case for all the rooms (our entire plane was booked in here).
2. No credit card facilities, no ATM nearby and expensive prices for drinks. You cannot even go anywhere else as there
3. The only edible things at breakfast were eggs (which were boiled until theywere grey inside) and the bread rolls (which actually were surprisingly fresh). The rest of it was dodgy potatoes, a bright red chopped meat thing mixed with mayo, cream or yoghurt and the yellow cheese was distinctly very sour.
4. The room itself was very dirty except for the bed linen. The bed linen was clean which is the reason I stayed on.
5. The hotel is right on the highway - despite having a room facing the back of the hotel away from the highway - it was still way too noisy to open the window.
6. At about 6am I was woken up by the noise of something running around in the roof. This didn't stop and then were several things scurrying up and down in the roof not allowing me to sleep further. I am assuming it was mice or rats (defitinitely cant be anything bigger as it was too fast).
7. Bathroom was filthy - there is no way you would get clean in there because the moment you step out you would be dirty again from the filthy floors.

On the positive side: Wifi works pretty well allowing me to sit here and post this while I am waiting for the shuttle to get the hell out of here!!!

Don't, just don't book in here ever!!! I cannot think of any amount of money that would make this place worthwhile. I only stayed here because it was free and if I had known where we were headed I would have rather slept at the airport (not sure if thats allowed but would have been much better).

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank mulderpf

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Durban
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was on a business trip so I was looking for somewhere close to the airport that was value for money. The rooms looked ok on the net when I was booking but in reality looked nothing like this in real life.
The grumpy receptionist could hardly speak English, the single bed was barely wide enough to take my body, and I am of normal size, the bathrooms were disgusting with stained toilets and bath and shower barely a cold drip. There were no towels and after numerous calls to reception to bring towels being unsuccessful, I eventually had to go there and almost threaten them to get some thread bare towels.
The tv was an ancient artefact that signal was shocking, the window opened up to a view of a brick wall, the bed linen was dirty, i slept on top fully clothed to avoid being bitten, but worst of all was the vomit smell in the room.
There was no internet access, we had to walk to a nearby hotel for breakfast which consisted of stale cereals and strange looking eggs.
The staff were disinterested to the point of arrogance and disdain and really had to count to ten on more than one instance.
I can honestly say this is by far the worst place I have have EVER stayed in. I would rather sleep in the car. STAY AWAY! If not for your health then your sanity.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank RonaldHDurban
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed here 1 night as there was a problem with the apartment we had booked, we only wanted to get our head down and sleep so chose the cheapest in the area.

My Husband is turkish and at the check in desk we were informed we could not stay as I was English. Thankfully I had brought our wedding certificate and we were allowed to stay but I say thankfully as I was so tired I just wanted to lie down after a long journey.

There is no lift in the Hotel so be prepared for the stairs and the rooms are usual standard room size but very tired and dated, I was concerned the sheets were not clean but I think they just hadn't been starched and pressed like most places. Its very noisy if you sleep with window open but it was hot and the Husband doesnt like Air Con.

Bathroom is very small and old, you can't tell if its dirty or just really old but has everything you need to get washed and refreshed for next day.

I wouldn't recommend this Hotel for a solo traveller spending a few days in Istanbul as there are no good points I can mention. It is beyond basic and only suitable really as a place to have a sleep over for 1 night but if your fussy pay that bit extra and go to one of the newer hotels as the Hotel is more of a Hostel on the highway.

P.s During our stay there with no internet and all TV channels were in Turkish good job I was really tired so not much of a problem for us.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for 1st floor as there is no lift also before you accept your room...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wife traveller g
Kauniainen, Finland
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Staying for just one night, arriving late, leaving early, cheap and near to the airport - since the price was low indeed, I decided for this place. What I got was more or less what I expected - indeed no frills, surly service, worn everything, paper-thin walls, very modest breakfast across the rainy courtyard, where the roof was leaking, in the middle of the restaurant.

Except for the next-door couple which woke me up at 5 AM, I seemed to be the only client in the place. What I did not expect was that the porter, who stayed suspiciously long carrying my suitcase down (no lift), stole my new, expensive camera from the suitcase (also the battery adapter) - leaving just the empty camera bag. Found this out in another town, but will be back in Istanbul next week, with police.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank OnuVesa
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 20 December 2009

this was without and shred of doubt, the very very worst hotel i have ever had the misfortune to book into. notice i did not say stayed in. we arrived mid morning and had major reservations even as we viewed the outside. it was delapidated and run down. any way we thought, ok , it is just for one night. we left our bags and went inti the city to do some sightseeing. on returning to the "hotel" we saw the bathroom for the first time. ti describe it as filthy would an understatement. it got worse. on bulling back the bedspread, we were confronted by very visible stains on it. i wont go into detail about what these stains were. suffice to say they would pertain to a certain activity!!!!!!!
there were grease stains on the pillow cases, and the pillows themselves wre ripped with the filling falling out.
after much texting back to my daughter in Ireland, she booked us into the WOW airport hotel and we made a quick exit.
i really dont know where the booking companies got the photos of this hotel and i will be getting in contact with them to make them aware of this. maybe the hotel looked as good as the photos at one time, but it seems to have gone through a metamorphisis since then.

sorry to be so long winded but my advice to anyone considering staying there is to,
Stay Well Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank culturevulture08
sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2009

i booked through expedia.com.The hotel sounded great & was close to the Istanbul Ataturk airport.On arrival the surprises started.(1) Its located on(and i mean ON) a freeway (2)No credit card facilities- cash only Euro or US$- I had neither.Eventually they accepted Turkish Lira(3) I had asked for a non smoking room-no such luck - it stank & it looked & smelled as though it hadn't been cleaned for days(4) neither the Air conditioner or the TV worked(5) My request for another room was met with a shrug of the shoulders-We're full- even though the place was deserted with many other rooms empty and their doors wide open(6)no restaurant -breakfast was a trek to the hotel next door(7) my request for a receipt was flatly refused.One of my worst hotel experiences

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo