“great stay”

Ranked #251 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Sharjah
“great stay”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed in Nippon Hotel and greatly enjoyed it. The we stayed in a Superior Corner room and got upgraded to a Suite (we stayed two times) both were great. The main difference is that the suite had a sitting area and a big bathroom with a Jacuzzi. The corner room was a good size minus was the very small bathroom. We had complimentary fruit baskets in both stays, and a call once we were in the room confirming that all was ok in the room. 2 bottles of water were provided daily and tea and coffee facility. Rooms were cleaned daily. During our stay the weather was around 9 degrees and the central heating was not working at the time, they provided us with extra blankets, that was the only thing i would complain about, but it seemed they didnt expect that cold weather in early october, i do not know, so maybe confirm if they have fixed the heating issue if planning to stay in colder months. the AC was working fine and we had no issues with cooling.

Breakfast was OK. There was a variety of cheese, vegetables, fruits, breads, cereal and hot dishes such as sausages, pancakes, eggs however it does not change, so its nearly the same food every day, but that’s ok if you are staying for a couple of days you can make your own mix and match.
We also ate in the coffeeshop on the ground floor, it was good (omlete and club sandwich).

We took one tour, the Dolmabahce Palace, through the hotel and we had an issue as we thought we would be able to see the Harem however when we were on the way the guide mentions it is not included and there is no option but to miss our trip back if you do want to pay extra to see it. The guide book does not mention any extra’s that we may chose. Anyways if anyone is planning to take this tour confirm that you will see the room if you are interested.

Taking taxis from the hotel was easy and the tell you the approximate price that you will need to pay to make sure that the taxi driver does not rip you off. They also provide you with information for the metro if you want to use it.

It location is great, it has a lot of souvenir shops around it, coffee shops and restaurants. It is also only exactly a 5 minute walk to the metro and Istiklal Street which is a great place to shop, eat and people watch.

Overall, great service, location and rooms for our short touristy trips.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently for 6d5n with my husband for business+leisure trip. We booked online and they gave us a non-smoking room, located at upper floor & a double bed (as specifically requested). They managed to allow us to check-in early at 930am (due to room availability).

We love our stay very much. Nippon Hotel is located a very strategic location in Taksim, where Taksim Square (transportation hub) is just 3-5 minutes walking distance. The famous shopping street, Istiklal Cadessi is also not far from Taksim Square.

Among other things that made us choose this hotel is the nice, clean, minimalistic (japanese inspired) interior. We took the Superior Corner room. Has ample space with a double bed, a coffee table & seating arrangement & writing area. It suits business traveller.

We are really satisfied with airport transfer service by the hotel. Very punctual.

Overall, we don't mind staying at this hotel again. Value for money.

• Stayed October 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Nippon for 2 nights in October 2011 and found it to be perfectly acceptable. Quiet and business like, but somehow lacks a personality. I was originally given a room facing construction works towards one side of the building, but when I asked to change, they were very accommodating, showing me a variety of rooms to choose from. The gym downstairs is very functional and was a nice touch. The location is perfect if you want to be located near Taksim Square and the shuttle bus to the airports is located 2 blocks away... very convenient for arrivals and departures. I guess I would stay here again, but it feels bland and lacks character... once inside the hotel, it could have been anywhere in the world. Nothing to complain about, but I think I would have preferred a more 'Turkish' type of experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel and to avoid the side rooms facing construction on the b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I only stayed at the Nippon Hotel for a single night, so I didn't get around to trying out the gym or room service.

What I know is that the room was nice; I was greeted with a complimentary fruit basket. It was reasonably quite, albeit Taksim, a very busy area in the heart of Istanbul. The hotel is located in Taksim's "hotel street" - only taxis seem to get access. The taxis and shops here rely on their reputation, so they are a lot less likely to be tourist traps.

Tourist half-day and day tours can be booked directly from the hotel, and I think I would recommend this; I decided to walk around the old town by myself on my day off and found it very difficult to ward off merchants and scammers.

So much for my original review - I was really happy with the hotel when I left - now, sadly, the update:

Back home, I noticed that my hotel receipt was incomplete (anyone who travels for business knows how much of a pain that can be) so I emailed the Nippon staff, asking for an updated receipt. It took several emails until someone replied - they asked me to post the original receipt back via regular mail, and I would get an updated version back. I did this - and waited, and waited, and emailed, and emailed... nearly two months later and after more than a handful emails which they ignored, I got an updated receipt - via email, to print myself. Now I really don't know why that required me to send the original back, as I had asked for something for myself to print in the first place. There was absolutely no reason this should have taken something like 8 emails and as many weeks to sort out - a big annoyance!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Very clean, attentive staff who speaks good English. Breakfast is good, diverse. location is excellent, walking distance to Taksim Square and istiklal street. Rooms are good, tidy beds are comfy and bathroom is clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Jordan.
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed at the Nippon Hotel a few days ago......all in all a very good hotel. Service was good, the Japanese restaurant opposite the entrance was excellent (many Japanese go there it seems). The rooms are small but clean (we were in room 722) though i wouldn't recommend the breakfast. Also the robes we had in the room were taken away by housekeeping the second day of our stay and not renewed.

The walls are thin and one tends to hear the neighbors (not talking levels but if they laugh you will hear them), also, you do hear the noise from the street (we were on the seventh floor).

Location is excellent, but beware pimps in the area who try to get you to "clubs" were their girls are.

Room Tip: ask for rooms that are above the fifth floor to get as far away from the street noise as possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 September 2011

...but not really that great for tourists. It's definitely a tourist hotel so I say that with some irony. What I did like: very large suite; convenient location right off Taksim Sq.; very comfortable bed.
What I did not use but you might like: a very large flat screen tv; large jacuzzi tub
What I did not like: so many tour buses lined up outside every morning that cabs couldn't even got to the door and the fumes made coffee on the outdoor patio impossible; obvious and unpleasant stains on carpets and furniture; thick dust on baseboards and some furniture; a terribly slow elevator; an ugly breakfast room that looks like a corporate cafeteria; a very mediocre breakfast buffet where everything that was supposed to be hot or cold was room temperature.
This is a hotel that seems to have been designed by Japanese owners for single business men. There is literally only one chair in the room. All the lights in the two room suite are either on or off so that one person can not stay up and read or watch tv while the other sleeps. The enormous bathroom is lit like a dim bar rendering make up application a challenge. It's certainly far from a hardship to stay at this hotel but at 180 Euro I think there must be much better options.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends